producer question

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

would you rather have your productions released on vinyl or as download?

vinyl
79%
download
21%

Total votes: 29
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

producer question

Post by El Huracan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:09 pm

well? and why? (no drugs option, sorry)
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

Post by afdafsf » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:19 pm

vinyl
Llupa
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Llupa » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:22 pm

vinyl - just because it is tangible.

but, I think that once I'd had something pressed I wouldn't mind so much about having subsequent releases as a DL rather than vinyl - I want at least one tune pressed!!
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 pm

DL's.

- Larger audience.
- Easier to release yourself, no longer dependant on labels.
- More money for the producer (by far, though I really don't care about this myself).
- Easier to maintain control over the quality (no more crappy vinyl/pressing excuses). I know the MP3's people DL will sound "exactly" the same as the MP3's I post.
- No more needing to deal with shady distributers.
- Easier to keep track of accounting issues.
- Allows me to include Ableton warp files for the Live DJ's, a medium I obviously am in full support of.
- Easy to embedd contact info right in the medium, I like having people contact me directly to say they like the tunes. Also helps me drive people to my website, info again embedded in the ID tags.
- Takes less time to release, I can literally have the final product ready for people minutes after I know the tune is done. No more waiting a year for the vinyl to get released.
InnerPortalStudio.com Electronic Music Mastering & Mixdowns. Click for details!
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:05 pm

that website info thing in the ID tags is very interesting.... :chin:

me? both. i prefer to play vinyl, i prefer to have my tunes on vinyl, all the usual arguments of fun, feel, sound etc. however i recognise that there's a certain (increasing) percentage of the market that buys mp3s and it'd be silly to ignore it/not sell to it.

i have heard people talking of selling 1200 vinyls as well as 600 mp3s of a release - haven't had any mp3 figures back for our release on Fat yet but it does seem to have sold reasonably well.

one point that bao always harangues people with, (when buttonholing them about their use of laptops on stage), is 'do you think you'd have become as big as you are without releasing on vinyl? would you want to switch to mp3 only right now?' invariably the answer is no.

ideally i would like to release vinyl with dedicated sleeve artwork... this would really be a biggie for me (if the art was any good, hah). think we need to be selling a bit more for that to become fully viable though :( you always appreciate records a teeny bit more when they've got a really nice sleeve
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hippy dave » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:26 pm

i believe it might be technically possible, just about, to print email/website addresses on the label of a 12".
mm i'd also say both, but as someone said i'm not gonna be satisfied until i have at least one of my tracks on wax.
dance your cares away, worries for another day Image
emskina flange wrote:holy calamity boob insanity
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:26 pm

I notice a lot of people lately including CD cover and label artwork as jpg's zipped with their MP3's too. Especially the net labels. Not as nice as a big old record sleeve all done up, but it's a start. Something I'll probably start doing too.
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:40 pm

Tarekith wrote: - More money for the producer (by far, though I really don't care about this myself).
dunno about that one
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Ooops, weird double post.
Last edited by Tarekith on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:48 pm

The cut a producer gets from MP3's is typically 50%, much less for vinyl. Of course vinyl costs more, but you have a much smaller market too. I'd say an average run of 1000 records will net the producer what, $200-300? That's about 400 DL's. So you have to sell less product to get the same return.

I guess it depends on how many records you're selling too though, and how big a name you have.
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:The cut a producer gets from MP3's is typically 50%, much less for vinyl. Of course vinyl costs more, but you have a much smaller market too. I'd say an average run of 1000 records will net the producer what, $200-300? That's about 400 DL's. So you have to sell less product to get the same return.

I guess it depends on how many records you're selling too though, and how big a name you have.
the cut a producer gets from mp3 is 25%. 50% retailer 50/50 artist and label with mp3 prices due to be slashed very shortly (unless they have already?) a p&d artist will be on a similer deal, a label wich pays it was will be on 50%. your right about costs to vinyl but you would still have the cost of the download being mastered. wich working on % of sales is probally not much different. i would say on average our artists will earn 300% more from vinyl sales
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:03 pm

Tarekith wrote:The cut a producer gets from MP3's is typically 50%, much less for vinyl. Of course vinyl costs more, but you have a much smaller market too. I'd say an average run of 1000 records will net the producer what, $200-300? That's about 400 DL's. So you have to sell less product to get the same return.
just to quibble a bit - the mp3 market is potentially bigger. as far as i know, it isn't bigger yet.

most producers do not get 50% from mp3 releases unless they put them out themselves - in general the site will take a big chunk, the producer may get 50% of what is left (probably about 30% of the total)
- this of course raises the old thing of do you have to be signed to a label to release mp3s? i think yes, being signed to a label will be an important form of quality control as more and more people seek to independently release their tunes

for a sold out run of 1000 vinyls, an artist would, at present, hope to receive somewhere in the region of £200-300 or $400-550ish. just a couple more releases and i'll be able to afford that bmw ;)
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:07 pm

what about the unsigned producers here?

do you think it makes any odds? would you consider a vinyl release a greater indication of having 'made it' or do you not even care about vinyls any more anyway?
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:10 pm

Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:18 pm

edb wrote: just to quibble a bit - the mp3 market is potentially bigger. as far as i know, it isn't bigger yet.
Thanks for the clarifications. Most of the tunes I have signed are available directly from the labels' own online shops, thus my numbers. Wasn't even thinking about places like Beatport, etc, so that's a good point.

When I was referring to a bigger market, I mainly meant that you're not limited to selling only to people with turntables anymore (ie, typically DJs). Anyone into the music would be able to purchase and listen to your tracks. I really have no idea on the SIZE of the DL market, just that your potential audience is bigger and not limited by lack of playback equipment.

Though I guess that also implies they have computers and internet access, so maybe that's a moot point too.
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:24 pm

quite - but it's also potentially bigger cos there are more people (in less developed countries, for e.g.)who could afford your tracks at $2 rather than $11.

i think sites like beatport/djdownload etc are going to end up dominating the download market really. labels can always continue selling from their site but there's the inconvenience of going to 15 different sites and entering your credit card details each time that could put people off. also, if people are going to the label's specific site then they're not going to come across the happy discoveries of random artists, so they'll use the big places anyway....

then we'll have issues of product placement - can a label pay the site extra to have their new releases featured on the front page? etc, etc, etc....
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:30 pm

Why not just release both.
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:33 pm

That would be ideal I guess, but vinyl is getting pretty expensive to do these days I hear.
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:36 pm

I would love to be on vinyl.

mp3? meh - I can clear 30,000 of those each month on free download

To me vinyl doesn't make things better, however, it is symptomatic of a well invested product. If someone is willing to invest pressing up costs in your tune, then you know that the label have their hearts (and wallets) in it.
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
NoHanded1
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by NoHanded1 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:38 pm

Vinyl because it goes 2.8 meter further when thrown, than an ipod. FACT.

and can support the weight of 12 more elephants, than an ipod too. FACT.