I just learned that taking breaks is important

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

I just learned that taking breaks is important

Post by afdafsf » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:53 am

my ears got totally worn out on a single track (bass heavy)

and I had no idea that my ears were so tired, but they were (thanks to a great friend pointing some obvious errors out to me)

If you've been at it on a single project for more than a couple days - both headphone and monitor work, then take a day or two break before "finalizing" a mixdown or doing a master.

I just learned the hardway - don't share until you're truly ready and finished.

prolly common sense but it slipped my mind :o

love seeing all the new work on this board - makes me feel awesome that SO many people are making breaks now

viva la revolution

Vote WEST!!!
SouNdeX
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Re: I just learned that taking breaks is important

Post by SouNdeX » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:31 pm

:lol: :lol:

Common mistake fella, it's also well easy to get involved in a sound... go to bed come back to it the next day and it sounds proper shite?!?!?

I'll have to agree with:
nuskoolbreaks_head wrote: love seeing all the new work on this board - makes me feel awesome that SO many people are making breaks now
It's the only reason I come on this forum, theres nothing like checking out new tunes and responding with fellow producers/Djs/breaks heads.... :-)
**TechNiCAL FILtH**
ImageImageImage
check SouNdeX tunes here:
@MySpaz

Or our Speculum tunes:
@MySpaz
J3
Regular
Regular

Post by J3 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:38 pm

Have to agree with Soundex, I love seeing who is producing what!

Taking time out of trax is the best thing you can do...

Some people can get trax done in 2 hours! If you cant its always best to leave a trax alone for a while, it allows your ears to recover and gives your brain a chance to think about something else for a while!

J.
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:12 pm

It also helps if you light candles and incense and try to summon the dead.

I find it therapeutic.

Yeah I dig this forum, keeps your ear to the ground.

by the way...
Some people can get trax done in 2 hours!
I can't even fall asleep in two hours =/
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:29 pm

Taking breaks is needed!

sometimes I take them for a few hours, sometimes a few days, and sometimes a few months!

Listening to other tunes is inspiring - and there really is some amazing stuff that stands up well to released material.
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hippy dave » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:56 pm

SouNdeX wrote:I'll have to agree with:
nuskoolbreaks_head wrote: love seeing all the new work on this board - makes me feel awesome that SO many people are making breaks now
It's the only reason I come on this forum, theres nothing like checking out new tunes and responding with fellow producers/Djs/breaks heads.... :-)
definitely, but i'm also totally grateful to everyone who answers questions and posts production tips, the sounds i'm making now are so much cleaner and cohesive just from absorbing a few invaluable tidbits from here 8)
afdafsf

Post by afdafsf » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:09 pm

SouNdeX wrote:

exactly! I feel the same way.
soapdodger
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by soapdodger » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:30 am

One good tip is to listen to pink noise for a minute or 2.

this will re balance your hearing, going for a walk outside will do the same thing.

When you are mixing your auditory system will become less sensitive to the predominant frequencies in your track. Basically it gets use to those freq's being there all the time and turns them down.

your visual system does a similar thing. You notice this when walking into a room with dim light after being outside in the sun. Notice how your vision goes a wierd colour (blue or green)

give it a try, loads of producers swear by the pink noise trick
The music business is a cruel and mallow honey stench, a mong spastic hallway where sieves and plumps bum free, and good dogs die like men. There's also a vegative side.

Munter S. Thompson