Aquasky Q&A session - open till sunday 09/04/06

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Aquasky Q&A session - open till sunday 09/04/06

Post by Walter Odington » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:38 am

So, Aquasky are here for a bit of production Q&A, so a warm welcome to them. Thanks for dropping by to answer some music making Qs :)

A quick summery of these guy for those that dont know, though surely eveyone has heard of Aquasky. These 3 started off making DnB on Moving Shadow, and after a successful DnB career made a natural progression into breakbeat. One of their early releases the "777" EP on Botchit was somewhat genre defining, and to some may be considered the forebearer to 'bassline' breaks. The breaks label 777 takes its name from the tune, and has made a big impact on the scene. Aquasky have released many many tunes on all sorts of breaks labels since the dawn of time. So these guys have proven pedigree and we're lucky to have them with us!

So, everybody make the most of this week - got until sunday to field some Qs, then their heading off to Japan! The guys aren't gonna be locked on the forum 24/7 so do be patient for a reply, and keep the posts related to the topic: song writing Q&A.

Whilst your waiting for them to descend, check out http://www.aquasky.co.uk

let the games begin!
Last edited by Walter Odington on Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
SometimesSean
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by SometimesSean » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:09 am

I've never really been much of a follower of Drum and Bass but one of my best mates is a keen enthusiast and has always been into the Aquasky sound, when you started heading towards mid-tempo breaks tracks with Masterblaster and especaily featuring one of my long time favourites the Ragga Twins I was blown away and was quick to show my mate what you had produced. He's listened to your development in breaks and I've followed it as much as he did with the drum and bass sound but he can't get his head around the difference in productions. Why do you think your sound has developed from the intricate end of the drum and bass spectrum to out and out party tunes of breaks?

:edit: Sorry I forgot my welcome n00b picture with my question ;)

Last edited by SometimesSean on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:54 am

- Knock knock

- Who's there

- Aquaksy

- Aquasky who?

- What you haven't heard of Aquasky? Where the hell have you been you :betty:?

As it's quite clear I don't have a good sense of humour I wanted to ask how important having one is to writing the music you do. Whether you guys do take it very seriously or whether when you're together in the studio its always a good laugh? When one of you is concentrating on something fiddly what do the other two do? Make tea, roll joints or what?
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
neztic
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by neztic » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:30 am

Hello there,

A couple of questions...

Whats your favourite synth ?

Do you mixdown your tunes in the digital domain or use any analogue mixer with outboard equipment?

CHEERS.
MANUEL.
:)
Dancefloor Terrorist
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Dancefloor Terrorist » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:36 am

here's a question for you-

Can I have some free records?

:)
Dr Jøhnsøn
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Dr Jøhnsøn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:46 am

There's loads of stuff I'd like to ask you, but I'll try and restrain myself.

What inspired you to start making breakbeats? Was it just a simple natural progression from the DnB or did something else inspire you, if so what? And what inspires you nowadays when making your tunes?

As implants said above how does the production take place between yourselves, do you take turns(?) or do you get ideas individually and then hone them together? (Is one of you uber talented and the other two just hangers on, come on be honest now!) Do you have specific roles within the production process (ie is one of you better at a certain role/programme/process then the others so takes command) or do these change depending on the ideas/focus of the tunes? (ie Who's the mummy, daddy and baby aquasky?) The dynamics of how you work as a trio interests me (maybe cos I got no friends :( )

Anyhows that enough for now, big ups for doing this for NSB and keep up the good work fellas!
ASH HUNT
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by ASH HUNT » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:06 pm

im into alot of different music, my faviorites being breaks and electro house.

i could talk forever about production tips so im not going to.

ive made about 20 tracks in the last 12 months and im really happy with 2 of them.

what do i do now, is my question.

im finding it really hard to find labels to send my stuff to etc...

i make electro house and breaks tracks.

thanks ashley.
northernlight
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by northernlight » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:18 pm

my questions are about drums:

- where do you get your drum samples from? From drum maschines? Natural Drums? Do you record the samples yourself or do you have a library of samples you use all the time?

- Do you layer your drumhits or do you work with one sample and blow it up with eq and compression?

- what do you use to create drumpatterns? hardware like 808/909/MPC, or software like Battery, Recycle etc?

- do you use an e-mu sampler? :D

Lots of Thanks for doing this Q&A :lurve:
Erratech
Regular
Regular

Post by Erratech » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi akwarskee hahaha seriously tho thanks for doing this, champion effort. You rock, consistantly, hard!

How much room do you leave for mastering of your tracks headroom wise and in your compression use overall>>??<<
Multiband compression yay or nay?
Any tips for the tasty hihat action?
Do you reference off your own songs heh?
Any awesome song composition tips you feel like giving away? hahaha Ill understand if not
Do you make music as individuals as well as as a collective entity?If so what kind of music?

Cheers
Erratech
SouNdeX
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by SouNdeX » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:26 pm

How do you make Fitlth? when your home town is O.A.P heaven!!!!
(the word filth can be classed as anything, does'nt have to be about music if ya dont want...)

Peace

SouNdeX
**TechNiCAL FILtH**
ImageImageImage
check SouNdeX tunes here:
@MySpaz

Or our Speculum tunes:
@MySpaz
hayes
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by hayes » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:35 pm

howdy.

1). what do you regard as zero point for the lowest sound in any tune? 50hz? 30hz?

2). how early in a tune do you start to apply some kind of basic layout/structure?

3). how far do you take things in a purely DAW fashion? is there a point that you decamp to a studio and feed it through a desk?

4). aquasky. what kind of name is that anyway? are you closet hippies?
capital radio causes cancer
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:13 pm

2 questions

the hardware/software debate. what do you use?

"aqua sky" or "a kwaski"? surely the most asked aquasky related question ever - let's have it in writing :lol:
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:26 pm

edb wrote:"aqua sky" or "a kwaski"? surely the most asked aquasky related question ever - let's have it in writing :lol:

yes!

I wanna know, what is the guitar amp thing on the some of latest artwork? Is it something you actually have in the studio? Its got reverb, phasor, delay on it etc but it looks tropical like a guitar amp or something...?
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
The Aquasky
Noob
Noob

Re: Aquasky Q&A session - open till sunday 09/04/06

Post by The Aquasky » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:44 pm

[quote="Walter Odington"]

So, everybody make the most of this week - got until sunday to field some Qs, then their heading off to Japan! The guys aren't gonna be locked on the forum 24/7 so do be patient for a reply, and keep the posts related to the topic: song writing Q&A.

eerrr, we go tomorrow night!!! we will get down and answer these by then...
ez
The Aquasky
Noob
Noob

Post by The Aquasky » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:53 pm

[quote="SometimesSean"]I've never really been much of a follower of Drum and Bass but one of my best mates is a keen enthusiast and has always been into the Aquasky sound, when you started heading towards mid-tempo breaks tracks with Masterblaster and especaily featuring one of my long time favourites the Ragga Twins I was blown away and was quick to show my mate what you had produced. He's listened to your development in breaks and I've followed it as much as he did with the drum and bass sound but he can't get his head around the difference in productions. Why do you think your sound has developed from the intricate end of the drum and bass spectrum to out and out party tunes of breaks?

Great question geezer... the main reason we got into breaks was because Adam Freeland groomed us!!! He sent us lots of CD's with tracks and said "get busy guys". Adam is an old mate from way back and we had no idea how influencial he was in breaks back then in 99. We heard his CD's and no offence to him, but they just didnt have the energy that we grew up listening to thru acid house, rave and d&b. You gotta remember we were hardened d&b heads back then... we wanted music to tear the roof off the club, fuck going into the back rooms of house and d&b events to listen to breaks... we wanted our music to stand up against theirs and have more bollox... we wanted music for kids to take drugs to and lose it! that was our role back then... so we applied our knowledge of d&b and rave and twisted the breakbeat sound up a little... we were also getting bored of d&b as we were making it for 4/5 years by this time... and it wasnt really going anywhere for us at the end of the 90's...

but you gotta remember that this was 6 years ago, a lifetime for some producers... and we felt that our sound had to develop from the rave induced 777 sound. we wanted music that still tore up the club but it didnt always have to have rave sounds... thats when we started getting into the party side of breakbeat... this was the tail end of the Beat The System period as we were entering the 'Stayfesh' era. You gotta remember both those albums were wrutten about 9 months apart. We switched our sound up kinda quickly and thankfully, the breakbeat heads kept with us, and still do... and we thank all of ya for it :)

bigups sean

edit: thats a fucked up looking goat dude!!!
SometimesSean
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by SometimesSean » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:05 pm

:D Cheers for the answer, I was actually quite shocked how quickly you got the albums out between each other and rolled out plenty of quality Tuna (actually it's pretty hard to keep up with your releases) but glad you made the move to breaks.

I've put together a mix CD to hand out around Coventry to try and get more people involved in breaks and it's drumming up a lot interest, especialy for the night we are launching. You lot took pride of place with 3 tracks in the mix, hope you don't mind. Personaly I thought it might be over kill, but it just works so there's no point in worrying about politics.

No you can't keep a good sound down :guns: :baddancing:
The Aquasky
Noob
Noob

Post by The Aquasky » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:12 pm

youthful_implants wrote:- Knock knock

- Who's there

- Aquaksy

- Aquasky who?

- What you haven't heard of Aquasky? Where the hell have you been you :betty:?

As it's quite clear I don't have a good sense of humour I wanted to ask how important having one is to writing the music you do. Whether you guys do take it very seriously or whether when you're together in the studio its always a good laugh? When one of you is concentrating on something fiddly what do the other two do? Make tea, roll joints or what?
ez youthful...
another banging question... yes, a sense of humour is imperitive to what we do... how the hell do you think we have been working together on and off since 1993!!! certainly aint cos we are good looking fellas with a studio full of birds! I must say it has been quite stressfull period doing teamplayers and we have become slightly more business like in our approach to waht we do... at the end of the day there are 3 of us and we do everything... its hard bloody work... a good giggle is what we look forward to... like the time I stuck a banger in one of daves ciggies (he no longer smokes, this was 97). oh, how we laughed as it blew up in his face. we pretended we knew nothing and convinced him to send it off to benson and hedges with a letter of complaint... he persued them for ages for compensation... we only told him a couple of years ago..

blastupz to youthful implants!!!
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:18 pm

fancy collaborating on a track with me?
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
SometimesSean
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by SometimesSean » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:24 pm

shapshankly wrote:fancy collaborating on a track with me?
They called it Team Players not Team Gheyers :roll: ;)
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:26 pm

they've done that, time for the gheyness.

nothing i do is ghey!!! :supergay:
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007