Looking for soft synths....

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

djmoose
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Looking for soft synths....

Post by djmoose » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:42 am

OK, just got albeton Live 5....and thus have been totally reguvenated to get back into the studio. (a new track to be posted soon)

Anyway, I'd like to invest in a synth. I'm on this forum, so it's obvious I like nu-skool... So, I'm looking for a synth for big and heavy bass lines. (join the club, huh?) However, I'm not as advanced as most of you so some killer modular synth would be out of my league right now.

Here is what I'm looking at right now. If anyone could add any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. Ableton Operator - I think I'm getting this one either way..I see myself using Live a ton, so this one is in the books as of right now.

2. V-station - I have a TRIAL version of this that I like...but not sure if it's worth $250. (I'm thinking if I spend that much, should I get an Albino 2?)

3. Albino 2. I have yet to try this one out. (planning on it this weekend) Are my assumptions correct in regards to the V-station?

4. Cakewalk Z3TA - I hear a lot of good stuff about Z3TA as well?

5. Synapse Hydra - I have a TRIAL version of their old Junglist that I really like. Hydra is rather cheap...but is it outdated? Worth my time?

6. Access Virus TI Desktop - Now, I know this is HUGELY in a different price range, but I can save for it...will just take a while...and can always wait until Sweetwater offers 1 year no interest....anyway...it's possible. My thinking is, if i'm going to spend this much, then don't bother with a V-station or Albino 2. (I can get away with Operator and maybe Hydra though) I really want one of these...but I'm not going to lie and say all the hype about them has nothing to do with it. I'm looking for badass basslines...and all things point to a virus for that. (right?) lol

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Sorry if this comes off as a NOOB question, but I figured I'd ask the guys making the same music I'd like to be.

My current Setup:
PC Athlon 64 3000+
Tascam FW-1082
Sonar 5
Ableton Live 5
Stylus RMX
Edirol PCR-30
UAD-1 Project Pack
Event PS5 Monitors
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:47 pm

Well, if you're serious about the TI, then just ignore the rest of those VSTi's as the Virus will do those sounds as well. It's definitely a bassline monster, no doubt about it. Huge difference in your price range though.

For VSTi's, my vote is for z3ta. It's easy to use, flexible, a good all around great sounding synth. I actually really like Hydra too, I think it makes some cool noises as well.

Spend some time really playing with the Operator demo before you buy. The integration in Live is wonderful, but for the life of me I cannot get good sounds out of this thing. Well, maybe I should say MANY good sounds. It makes some neat sounds, but I always find the timbre to be rather cold and flat, even for FM synthesis. I think it's over-priced for what it does IMO.
InnerPortalStudio.com Electronic Music Mastering & Mixdowns. Click for details!
Psure
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Psure » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:01 pm

www.wwaym.com
gmedia imposcar is impressive as well :)
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:39 pm

krv-vst

load up on freebies
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
mambo dave
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by mambo dave » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:26 pm

Tarekith wrote:For VSTi's, my vote is for z3ta. It's easy to use, flexible, a good all around great sounding synth. I actually really like Hydra too, I think it makes some cool noises as well.
this is the one pendulum use i think. shame its only a windows vsti :(
djmoose
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by djmoose » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:29 pm

Thanks for the info guys!
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:41 pm

dangerous dave wrote: this is the one pendulum use i think. shame its only a windows vsti :(
All of Cakewalk's new VSTi's are cross platform, my guess is z3ta will be too soon. ;)
djmoose
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by djmoose » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:07 am

Anyone interested in Cakewalk's new Rapture?

I'll be looking for a demo soon. (would'nt be surprised if it shows up on a upcoming cover of CM)
djrancid
Noob
Noob

Post by djrancid » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:18 am

Don't forget the Korg Legacy Cell collection vst for some nice analogue style fatness . Think I've got the z3ta but never paid much attention to it , will have to have another look I think !
Now playing on Wrongun FM !
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 am

vanguard is suprisingly good for bass
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:26 pm

I think Rapture looks interesting, I want to try it!
Splashmash
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Splashmash » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:42 pm

Just to follow on from Tarekith's comments on the Operator (just to give an alternative opinion really). The Operator is the ONLY soft synth I ever use. It's definitely one of those synths that gives more the more time you spend with it.

That said, it's probably wise to have a good VA for warmth and fatness too.
djmoose
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by djmoose » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:46 pm

Splashmash wrote:Just to follow on from Tarekith's comments on the Operator (just to give an alternative opinion really). The Operator is the ONLY soft synth I ever use. It's definitely one of those synths that gives more the more time you spend with it.

That said, it's probably wise to have a good VA for warmth and fatness too.
You know it's funny...I hear so many reviews both ways on Operator. A lot of people LOVE it...but just as many say it sounds crappy, is overpriced, etc etc.
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:11 pm

It's not bad sounding at all IMO, it just has a very distinctive sound IMO. This is true of most FM based I've tried though.

Neat to use for certain textures, but I'd want something more neutral/flexible if it was my only softsynth.
Splashmash
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Splashmash » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Yeah, it definitely has a very distinctive hard FM sound. But I've got my Voyager and Juno for soft analogue fatness ;) That said, it does have a subtrative mode.

If you were to just check the presets on Operator you would defo come away thinking it wasn't all that. Get stuck in though and you can make some amazing sounds. Also, all the presets are dry - you need to add some fx. It doesn't come with any fx built in as many do.

My main warning about it is that it is a CPU KILLER!!
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:56 pm

Yeah I noticed that too, start using all the operators and watch the CPU meter climb.
moss
Noob
Noob

Post by moss » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:57 pm

what bout VIRSYN TERA??? think sounds nice... a lot of basses
djmoose
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by djmoose » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:17 pm

Well, I just got my email from Cakewalk saying that Z3TA is only $99 for registered Sonar Owners...looks like my decision has been MADE!

But I'm still really interested in Rapture...hopefully, Cakewalk will offer a similar offer on that soon.
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:11 am

Wow, great price!
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

Post by afdafsf » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:01 am

I can't stress what Walter said enough - the freebies are where a LOT of textures lie. Everything from Bass to Pads to Drums....

Dopamine is on point about Vanguard - there isn't much that 3 OSC synth won't do - SICK/LUSH pads, pretty damn good basses too - the filters are some of the best I've heard on a soft synth (they will freaking scream).

I think Albino2 at $200 (get a deal at Guitar Center [if you can] for $160-165 including tax - easily....) is one of the best purchases you can make. It's filters are solid, it's got a distinct digital sound to it (reminiscent of a thin Virus)..... takes two seconds to make dope patches with (4 OSC design)... and is VERY cpu efficient.

Run Albino2 through a host of distortion plugs of your choice - and it'll rival anything - don't give a fuck - hardware or software....

Also from Linplug - Blue is the BOMB (it's like a super Albino w/2 extra OSCs, more mod options, couple extra filters (comb/ring - those alone give you a lot more textures)... same price as Albino2.

And the latest from Linplug is Octopus - WHOA (I'm getting it soon)
modular MONSTER (like $150-160) total fucking steal imo

PS-1 is a great rompler that has a really fat sound to it ($100)- basic 2 OSC design. It's extremely CPU hungry, but the son of a bitch really hums - the filters are surprisingly warm..... and for being such a basic synth, it really distinguishes itself from other romplers. At times, it almost sounds fatter than my Triton (the PCM sounds that is)

hope you find what you're looking for

penny
penny
Last edited by afdafsf on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.