Rennie pilgrim in the studio

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

DJ WATTSKI
Noob
Noob

Rennie pilgrim in the studio

Post by DJ WATTSKI » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:18 am

bought future music mag yesterday and on the dvd it has rennie in the studio showin how he go's about makin a track. well worth watchin.
-Who Controls the past, controls the future - Who Controls the present controls the past -

http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ROSSWATT
http://WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/SEPTER
Joebot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Joebot » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:26 am

will check that out today :D cheers
Image clicky clicky

Spectrum : Resident
Supatronix Records : Director
---out now---
Depeche Mode - Hole To Feed (Joebot Remix) [Mute]
J*O*K*R - On Point (Joebot Remix) [Dusted Breaks]
Future Funk Squad - RaveUlator (Joebot Remix) [en:vision]
Erasure - Heart of Stone (Joebots 'Ounce of Bounce' Remix) [Mute]
herozero
Noob
Noob

Post by herozero » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:00 am

good
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:04 am

Some good info there for sure. His studio certainly wasn't that tidy when I was in there though. ;)
Joebot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Joebot » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:06 am

hee hee

images of renie pilgrim in an apron and marigolds

franticly hovering his studio
Image clicky clicky

Spectrum : Resident
Supatronix Records : Director
---out now---
Depeche Mode - Hole To Feed (Joebot Remix) [Mute]
J*O*K*R - On Point (Joebot Remix) [Dusted Breaks]
Future Funk Squad - RaveUlator (Joebot Remix) [en:vision]
Erasure - Heart of Stone (Joebots 'Ounce of Bounce' Remix) [Mute]
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 am

:lol:
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:24 am

It'd be great to do the same with the Plumps!
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 am

nec wrote:It'd be great to do the same with the Plumps!
Having said that though, the first one in this series that they ever did was in the studio with Ils and Wizard, and it has to be one of the most informative videos I've ever watched.

If you want to see a master of production going at it, watch Wizard. Genius.
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:08 pm

seenness in large amounts.

rennie makes me wonna buck my hips from the lef to tha rightaaaaaaaaaaaa
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
dave pace
Regular
Regular

Post by dave pace » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:41 pm

yeah, I've seen both. very useful
I'm abit surprised that nobody asks Rennie to turn the fans off though.
dp
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:13 pm

dave pace wrote:yeah, I've seen both. very useful
dp
Better to have the fans on than smell his feet!
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
moderate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by moderate » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:18 pm

Was Rennie wearing his chunky Starkk watch? Was the time on it wrong by any chance? ;)
Enough of this bullshit!
dave pace
Regular
Regular

Post by dave pace » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:52 pm

shapshankly wrote:
dave pace wrote:yeah, I've seen both. very useful
dp
Better to have the fans on than smell his feet!
:lol:
ground_control
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by ground_control » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:44 pm

I found this video really informative and even inspiring, probably moreso than the ils & wizard one. Rennie's was better on workflow and just banging stuff out, ils and wizard's tips often seemed a little fiddly and convoluted.

Send it out to the desk, send it back into Logic, gate everything to get rid of the desk noise. Redo everything you've just done, then do it again. I mean you can't fault the results, but a lot of it seemed like creating more problems to fix, and a bit overcomplicated for non-professionals. There were even points where it didn't seem like wizard knew which parts he was working on, between the stems and the original audio tracks. :lol:

A lot of it may have had to do with the video starting mid-way through the process though, whereas Rennie just proved how easy it is to get a good groove working by just banging parts out and not fiddling too much. Actually got me moving on couple of things I'd started, but had stalled because of indecision.

Love wizard's crowd noise tip though, but then all my tunes have subliminal messages in them already. ;)

Both are great videos, though for different things, and I guess Rennie's addressed problems I was having at the time, in terms of composition and just getting it done. Ils and Wizard's is good for tightening and polishing an almost finished piece of work, though one might like to have just done it right the first time.

J
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:26 am

ground_control wrote:I found this video really informative and even inspiring, probably moreso than the ils & wizard one. Rennie's was better on workflow and just banging stuff out, ils and wizard's tips often seemed a little fiddly and convoluted.

Send it out to the desk, send it back into Logic, gate everything to get rid of the desk noise. Redo everything you've just done, then do it again. I mean you can't fault the results, but a lot of it seemed like creating more problems to fix, and a bit overcomplicated for non-professionals. There were even points where it didn't seem like wizard knew which parts he was working on, between the stems and the original audio tracks. :lol:

A lot of it may have had to do with the video starting mid-way through the process though, whereas Rennie just proved how easy it is to get a good groove working by just banging parts out and not fiddling too much. Actually got me moving on couple of things I'd started, but had stalled because of indecision.

Love wizard's crowd noise tip though, but then all my tunes have subliminal messages in them already. ;)

Both are great videos, though for different things, and I guess Rennie's addressed problems I was having at the time, in terms of composition and just getting it done. Ils and Wizard's is good for tightening and polishing an almost finished piece of work, though one might like to have just done it right the first time.

J
you know what I've said it before and I got stick for sounding sloppy but its all about banging things out - not being too analytical and keeping your own head nodding as much as possible. Long periods of fiddly programming and complex arrangement don't do your track any favours - its all about maintaining as much spontaneity and freshness about things as you can.

I'm not saying you shouldn't spend time on it - but spend too long and the vibe is gone and the moment passes. Its harder to keep up the momentum that way. anyways laters
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Scott TeknicB
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Scott TeknicB » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:10 am

would like to see this, can anyone put it online?
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:26 am

Scott, can you make that image like 5 times bigger? Thanks.
Scott TeknicB
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Scott TeknicB » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:38 am

i got rid of it. for some reason the picture isnt that big but when i put it in the sig it makes it larger? weird
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:46 am

Did you have the image set to 100% when viewing in photoshop? ;)
ground_control
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by ground_control » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:46 am

youthful_implants wrote:
ground_control wrote:I found this video really informative and even inspiring, probably moreso than the ils & wizard one. Rennie's was better on workflow and just banging stuff out, ils and wizard's tips often seemed a little fiddly and convoluted.

J
you know what I've said it before and I got stick for sounding sloppy but its all about banging things out - not being too analytical and keeping your own head nodding as much as possible. Long periods of fiddly programming and complex arrangement don't do your track any favours - its all about maintaining as much spontaneity and freshness about things as you can.

I'm not saying you shouldn't spend time on it - but spend too long and the vibe is gone and the moment passes. Its harder to keep up the momentum that way. anyways laters
It's a tough line to draw, innit

J