All about Sidechain Gating - fantastic tip from Thanatos

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

All about Sidechain Gating - fantastic tip from Thanatos

Post by alex_virr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:34 am

Props to BBWW for this one - this is well worth sharing.

Waves C1 comp-gate Sidechain Gating

If you've ever wondered how all the creative chopping in most tunes is done, you're about to find out!

Ok, this tutorial depends on what program you're using, but if you're familiar with your music making tools, it will be fairly simple to translate.

First, load two tracks, one with a sample of high hats or drums or whatever it is you want to use to control the gating, the other with the sample you want to have gated.

Pan the hats all the way to the left and the gate-sample all the way to the right.

Now, if you're in Cubase SX, create a group channel and connect both of the two channels to the group channel, then put your Waves C1 comp-gate onto the group channel. If you're using Fruityloops, I believe you can just set it so that both of your samples are connected to the same mixer track.

Now that you've loaded C1 comp-gate, you need to bypass the left side (the compressor) and set the Input Key to L -> R... make sure the attack and release on the Gate side are set very low and turn the Floor down as far as you care to turn it. EQ Mode should be on Wideband.

Next, I recommend playing with the remaining settings until your hats are cutting your sample apart and it sounds like you've suddenly turned into Infected Mushroom! (Hint: GateOpen and GateClose ought to be at the same level, from what I discovered)

Thanatos

:bo:

http://www.breakbeatworldwide.com
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Joebot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Joebot » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:54 am

yea!

nice one alex and mr thanatos
Image clicky clicky

Spectrum : Resident
Supatronix Records : Director
---out now---
Depeche Mode - Hole To Feed (Joebot Remix) [Mute]
J*O*K*R - On Point (Joebot Remix) [Dusted Breaks]
Future Funk Squad - RaveUlator (Joebot Remix) [en:vision]
Erasure - Heart of Stone (Joebots 'Ounce of Bounce' Remix) [Mute]
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:56 am

all that to do some gating

:(

volume automation sounds easier to me :o
TechMoses
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TechMoses » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:58 am

Tell you what's easier... TC Works Compressor & Sidechainer.

Believe me, I was using Waves for ages, then I had a go with TC - and I nearly cried when I realised the hours spent and flexibility lost.
Last edited by TechMoses on Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
:.ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
: ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
: Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
:
: ► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
Joebot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Joebot » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:59 am

oi! Mr. SubtleGestures!

wheres you comment in the 'lets be nice to thread' SubtleGestures thread

http://nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40891
Image clicky clicky

Spectrum : Resident
Supatronix Records : Director
---out now---
Depeche Mode - Hole To Feed (Joebot Remix) [Mute]
J*O*K*R - On Point (Joebot Remix) [Dusted Breaks]
Future Funk Squad - RaveUlator (Joebot Remix) [en:vision]
Erasure - Heart of Stone (Joebots 'Ounce of Bounce' Remix) [Mute]
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:36 am

SubtleGestures wrote:all that to do some gating

:(

volume automation sounds easier to me :o
well not really. If you want a part to gate in sync with another part (ie: the hi hats, to volume automate that would be quite laborious (I imagine). This way you can have any sound rythymically mirroring another sound without necessarily sounding like a total mash up.
Strontium Music

SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:39 am

"gate in sync w/another part" please elaborate

I thought the only point for using sidechaing comp was to allow certain sounds to cut through the mix while restraining others in similar frequencies.....

Are you guys seriously talking about going through all that trouble just to do some basic gates or am I completely missing what y'all are talking about :cry:

:?:
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:42 am

TechMouse wrote:Tell you what's easier... TC Works Compressor & Sidechainer.

Believe me, I was using Waves for ages, then I had a go with TC - and I nearly cried when I realised the hours spent and flexibility lost.
Damn fucking straight yet no matter how many times I say it I keep being ignored! :x
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:44 am

no no - ok like using a hi hat pattern to gate a string and make it all stuttered

yes you could cut your string manually but that would prolly take longer
Strontium Music

alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:45 am

dopamine wrote:
TechMouse wrote:Tell you what's easier... TC Works Compressor & Sidechainer.

Damn fucking straight yet no matter how many times I say it I keep being ignored! :x
I hear ya Matt

TC works. :)
Strontium Music

dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:48 am

;)
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:49 am

that's what I thought you guys were talking about :lol:

god... all that just to do some simple gating.... dunno why you think it'd take long to do by hand. obviously depends on how long the loop is, how long you're looping the loop, how long and how creative you want the automation to be

sorry, but I'm gonna have to say that doing gating that way is the longer way

You can either draw them in by hand, or assign volume to a c.c. controller and voila - minutes later you're done

BUT, if you're talking about making your string become stuttered via the Hat loops on and off points, then yeah - doing it by hand and ear would take a lil while I guess.... why would you need something to be gated that exact anyway.....

I think you could just do it by hand and be fine.

my opinion
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 am

SubtleGestures wrote:that's what I thought you guys were talking about :lol:

why would you need something to be gated that exact anyway.....
cos it would sound well glitchy with less rythymical interference
Strontium Music

plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:57 am

god... all that just to do some simple gating.... dunno why you think it'd take long to do by hand. obviously depends on how long the loop is, how long you're looping the loop, how long and how creative you want the automation to be

You can either draw them in by hand, or assign volume to a c.c. controller and voila - minutes later you're done

BUT, if you're talking about making your string become stuttered via the Hat loops on and off points, then yeah - doing it by hand and ear would take a lil while I guess.... why would you need something to be gated that exact anyway.....

my opinion
Doing it by hand is in NO WAY going to be quicker mate...you just have to sidechain a gate, it takes me about 30 seconds to do this with Logic's built-in gate.

Plus, you'll never be able to draw the subtle stutters in by hand, and the Gate will also give you threshold, attack etc. controls.

Very creative...I also use this technique with a long pad sound sidechained to my drum sub, or maybe just to the hats.
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:02 pm

plazadefunk wrote:

my opinion
Doing it by hand is in NO WAY going to be quicker mate...you just have to sidechain a gate, it takes me about 30 seconds to do this with Logic's built-in gate.

Plus, you'll never be able to draw the subtle stutters in by hand, and the Gate will also give you threshold, attack etc. controls.

Very creative...I also use this technique with a long pad sound sidechained to my drum sub, or maybe just to the hats.
yeah I think its fucking wicked. :)
Strontium Music

SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:24 pm

That's fine.... I like doing gates by hand, I have more control that way.... and it's fast and easy for me, so....

To each his own
Splashmash
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Splashmash » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Using C1 for gating is a big pain in the arse but use a decent one like the TC native one and it's dead easy. You also get a different curve to that which you would get drawing gate envelopes by hand (admittedly which one you prefer is personal preference.

That said ... the TC Native one is buggy in Ableton and it's discontinued so they won't release an update. V frustrating! Apparently Voxengo Crunchessor is pretty good.
TechMoses
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TechMoses » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:01 am

One downside with TC Works... it seems to turn off the sidechain function when you save -> close -> reopen Cubase... but I can live with that after the pain of C1.

Oh, and Gaz is absolutely right, you don't get those cool curves when drawing by hand, unless you're very precise and anal about how you draw them in. It's all about the character.
:.ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
: ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
: Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
:
: ► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
Griz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Griz » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:09 pm

TC Works is indeed the shizzle - just a shame you can only use two sidechaining channels in one project (although youll rarely need more than 2 i spose!)

Chris - I see your point that volume automation is quite easy and straightforward but it really isnt the same effect.

Take Eric Pridz's tune - that one with the Aerobics Video. Volume automation could not have done that in my opinion - theres a certain 'warmth' that sidechaining gives to the volume drops.
http://www.myspace.com/unstable_label | http://www.myspace.com/djgrizzla

Yes, yes you are.
mø wrote:
MANDINGO WARRIOR

BORED N WANNA FUCK.HAV A BIG DICK N DONT GET ENOUGH IM OWAYS HORNY N IM TALL BLACK N ATHLETIC.I WONT STOP UNTIL U SAY STOP.
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:20 pm

Grizzla wrote:TC Works is indeed the shizzle - just a shame you can only use two sidechaining channels in one project (although youll rarely need more than 2 i spose!)

Chris - I see your point that volume automation is quite easy and straightforward but it really isnt the same effect.

Take Eric Pridz's tune - that one with the Aerobics Video. Volume automation could not have done that in my opinion - theres a certain 'warmth' that sidechaining gives to the volume drops.
hey griz d'you wonna talk me through that at some point m8?

I got the TC works plugzz just dunno how to run the sidechain. :(
Strontium Music