side chaining in cubase

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

side chaining in cubase

Post by shapshankly » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:59 am

morning everyone, quick question for you....

i have the waves bundle, but in cubase it doesn't seem to like the idea of sidechaining the c1 comp (even though you supposedly can). this is pretty much the story for all compressors in cubase (i'm lead to believe), something to do with the VST 2.3 spec not inlcluding sidechains.

anyway, does anyone know of any workarounds to achieve a decent sounding side chain compressor?

cheers m'dears
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:18 pm

^ yes you can. I dont know how though. sorry
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:25 pm

I've been trying to find out find out the same for FLS.......(shappers, sorry for partilly hijacking your thread!) :)
macrocosm
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by macrocosm » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:32 pm

tried the tc compressor with sidechainer? werks a charm

I've not had a lot of luck sidechaining with the c1 either, as it goes... :crack:
zooloo
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by zooloo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:44 pm

I have a word document that shows how to do this (with screen shots and shit)... don't ask me why I've got it as I'm not a cubase or waves user, I'm a logic geek and this shit is so fukin easy in logic it's nto funny, I don't know why its so complicated in cubase... maybe coz cubase is crap! .. jokes.

anyhoo if you want a copy pm me.
"We are creatures of habit. The thing is to recognize when good habits become bad. At that moment, you've got to be ready to break them and find yourself a little bit in the unknown." - John McLaughlin

latest dj mixes and more
general shit talking and bollocks
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:37 pm

zooloo, in a way it is that cubase is crap, or rather that steinberg don't think that side chaining is important enough to put it into the VST standard! (grrr - shakes fist)

for anyone that is interested in how to do this....check out the "Mixing drums" thread i started and follow nec's link. perfect article online about how to do this (with pictures)

basically, send bass to a stereo group panned hard right.

setup a send from your kick channel to the same group (pre-fader), disable the "link to main panner" option and then pan the send hard left.

set up waves compressor so that key is L>R and voila, you've got yourself some side chain.

remember to set the ouput panner to central (having changed from stereo balance option - see link, easier to understand with the pictures)

sorted me out, and i have to say, what a fucking massive difference it's made to the track i've put it on!
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:06 am

TC Native Bundle 3.0 Compressor/Desser
TheScore
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by TheScore » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:07 am

shapshankly wrote:zooloo, in a way it is that cubase is crap, or rather that steinberg don't think that side chaining is important enough to put it into the VST standard! (grrr - shakes fist)

for anyone that is interested in how to do this....check out the "Mixing drums" thread i started and follow nec's link. perfect article online about how to do this (with pictures)

basically, send bass to a stereo group panned hard right.

setup a send from your kick channel to the same group (pre-fader), disable the "link to main panner" option and then pan the send hard left.

set up waves compressor so that key is L>R and voila, you've got yourself some side chain.

remember to set the ouput panner to central (having changed from stereo balance option - see link, easier to understand with the pictures)

sorted me out, and i have to say, what a fucking massive difference it's made to the track i've put it on!
yea this was the 1st way i did sidechain but found that just the plain standard comp that comes free with protools (shouldnt b 2 hard 2 get a hold of im sure) is a zillion times easier, all u have 2 do is select external key & make the key woteva bus/aux u have sent the kick/snare 2, easy :)
resistor
Noob
Noob

Post by resistor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:43 pm

i was kindly shown how to do this , which seemed to work ok , but its a bit of fucking around . its probably the only thing i like more about logic than cubase .also , does anyone know of a stand alone gate plug-in that can sidechain in cubase ?

anyway , hope this is of some help -

I will be using a vsti synth for the audio part to be compressed, vsti drum machine for the sidechain and obviously a compressor plugin that supports sidechaining. This tutorial will be generic, just so you will know how to set up sidechain (I will be using the Waves C1 comp-sc so the settings for a different compressor may differ, consult its manual).

1) open a new (empty) project and move the right marker to measure 5 so you can have a 4 measure loop (enable loop mode on the transport)

2)add 2 midi tracks and a stereo group track.

3) place the synth as the midi out on the first midi track, and the drum machine on the second midi track (the synth patch should be able to play a constant note for the duration of the loop so it will be easier to hear the comp kicking in, and the drum machine should have a nice strong kick with a fast attack time).

4) draw in the midi for the 2 midi channels. The synth is going to be 1 continuous note that takes up the full 4 bars. The drums should only be the kick once per beat.

5) add the C1 comp-sc as an insert device on the group channel.

6) Now we start the routing. In the inspector, Set the output of the synth's AUDIO channel (not the midi channel) to the input of the group and set the pan to hard right.

7) For the drum's audio channel (again NOT the midi channel) put in a pre-fader send to the group (in the channel settings window). Make sure that the send is "on" and that the send level is raised to at least 0db. Now pan the send to hard left (the pan parameter is only visible on the send when in routing mode, found in the little black box at the top right of the channel settings window) We want this to be pre-fader so we can turn down this channel's fader and not change the send's level to the group (compressor).

8) play back the loop, if everything is set up correctly you should hear the synth on the right, the drums on both left and right (although slightly higher volume on the left ( now that it is going through 2 channels). If the group's fader is turned down all the way then the synth should not be heard and the kick (if mono) should be equal on both sides.

9) Now to set up the compressor. For "EQ mode" select "sidechain". For "key mode" select "L --> R" , this sets the kick as the sidechain key and the synth's signal as what is to be controlled by the key. For "monitor" select "sidechain". This will make it so you only hear the kick through the compressor. Now adjust the "threshold" and "ratio" so that there is about -12db on the "gain reduction meter". This is going to be the amount of compression applied to the synth's audio based on the level of the kick (sidechain key). Finally go back to "monitor" and select audio. Now you should be able to hear the synth played but with compression applied every time the kick sounds. Continue to adjusts the compressor's parameters to get the desired effect (ducking, pumping, etc..).

If you want to hear the synth only, then turn down the drum's audio channel fader all the way. Since the send on this channel is "pre-fader" it will not affect the amount of signal going to the compressor.
TechMoses
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TechMoses » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:59 pm

TC Works, TC Works, TC Works....

Sidechainer w/ Compresser - De-Esser

Continue until blue in the face...
:.ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
: ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
: Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
:
: ► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
grum
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by grum » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:00 pm

resistor wrote:i was kindly shown how to do this , which seemed to work ok , but its a bit of fucking around . its probably the only thing i like more about logic than cubase .also , does anyone know of a stand alone gate plug-in that can sidechain in cubase ?

anyway , hope this is of some help -

I will be using a vsti synth for the audio part to be compressed, vsti drum machine for the sidechain and obviously a compressor plugin that supports sidechaining. This tutorial will be generic, just so you will know how to set up sidechain (I will be using the Waves C1 comp-sc so the settings for a different compressor may differ, consult its manual).

1) open a new (empty) project and move the right marker to measure 5 so you can have a 4 measure loop (enable loop mode on the transport)

2)add 2 midi tracks and a stereo group track.

3) place the synth as the midi out on the first midi track, and the drum machine on the second midi track (the synth patch should be able to play a constant note for the duration of the loop so it will be easier to hear the comp kicking in, and the drum machine should have a nice strong kick with a fast attack time).

4) draw in the midi for the 2 midi channels. The synth is going to be 1 continuous note that takes up the full 4 bars. The drums should only be the kick once per beat.

5) add the C1 comp-sc as an insert device on the group channel.

6) Now we start the routing. In the inspector, Set the output of the synth's AUDIO channel (not the midi channel) to the input of the group and set the pan to hard right.

7) For the drum's audio channel (again NOT the midi channel) put in a pre-fader send to the group (in the channel settings window). Make sure that the send is "on" and that the send level is raised to at least 0db. Now pan the send to hard left (the pan parameter is only visible on the send when in routing mode, found in the little black box at the top right of the channel settings window) We want this to be pre-fader so we can turn down this channel's fader and not change the send's level to the group (compressor).

8) play back the loop, if everything is set up correctly you should hear the synth on the right, the drums on both left and right (although slightly higher volume on the left ( now that it is going through 2 channels). If the group's fader is turned down all the way then the synth should not be heard and the kick (if mono) should be equal on both sides.

9) Now to set up the compressor. For "EQ mode" select "sidechain". For "key mode" select "L --> R" , this sets the kick as the sidechain key and the synth's signal as what is to be controlled by the key. For "monitor" select "sidechain". This will make it so you only hear the kick through the compressor. Now adjust the "threshold" and "ratio" so that there is about -12db on the "gain reduction meter". This is going to be the amount of compression applied to the synth's audio based on the level of the kick (sidechain key). Finally go back to "monitor" and select audio. Now you should be able to hear the synth played but with compression applied every time the kick sounds. Continue to adjusts the compressor's parameters to get the desired effect (ducking, pumping, etc..).

If you want to hear the synth only, then turn down the drum's audio channel fader all the way. Since the send on this channel is "pre-fader" it will not affect the amount of signal going to the compressor.
Or just use the compressor from the TC bundle :p

cheers for the info anyway
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:43 pm

i understand that the TC stuff works, however, not owning it and not having the dosh to buy it presents some problems!
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

16inch
Lurker
Lurker

Post by 16inch » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:20 pm

All this stuff on compression an ting is absolute gold dust. Like most I've taught myself all I know about mastering, and my teaching has been generally poor at best. My brains in overload, I want to try everything at once, but Thankyou all. (that includes all the threads on the go at the mo, part. enjoyed 'mixing drums' even when it got a bit heavy)

16 inch
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:01 am

nice one 16!

the thing these threads teach me above everything else is that there is always something new to learn. And that's a very good thing!

I love learning new tricks, and the guys here know lots of cool tricks that I don't!
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:56 pm

this fantastic link from nectarios shows exactly how sidechaining with the TC1 in cubase is done.

http://www.mantikonline.com/art_sc.htm

:bo:
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Hedflux wrote:I guess the side chaining thing comes up quite a bit, i'll paste the tutorial here:

Create a quadrophonic group channel.

Go to the "VST Connections" menu.

Under Group/FX, right click on the group you have created, and go to Add Child Bus -> Stereo, then do the same again and Add Child Bus -> Stereo (Ls Rs)

Stick your Stereo SC Compressor on the group channel as an insert (e.g. Oitium Compadre, Voxengo Crunchessor) and set the compressor into SC mode.

Put the output of your track to be compressed (e.g. bassline) to the Child Bus "Stereo"

Now on the Kick channel, you want to send it to the group child bus Stereo (Ls Rs), put the prefade button on and turn the send level up to 0.0

Then you're ready to go, pull down the compressor threshold to start compressing.

Works a treat, and all in stereo too.

mmmbop
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm just going to print all the threads that ask about Side chaining in cubase, print a book and get rich selling it on late night tele.
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:26 pm

hutson wrote:I'm just going to print all the threads that ask about Side chaining in cubase, print a book and get rich selling it on late night tele.
After reading the jonny breaks stuff, i reckon you'd be better off skint mate.
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 pm

I hope you aren't trying to punch holes in my concrete side chaining styele.
lowriders
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lowriders » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:37 pm

BIG thanks to all regarding SC in Cubase SX

i found that a few of the links posted have now deceased!

check out this link, it helped me a lot:

http://experimedia.net/page.php?id=102

:D