Spending more money on soft synths these days?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Spending more money on soft synths these days?

Post by SubtleGestures » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:00 am

I've been buying lots of s.s. lately and I'm wondering if I'll ever need to look at another hardware synth again...

Does anyone else feel this way?

Obviously, Nectarios is happy w/his castle of modular synths :o
porrig
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by porrig » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:55 am

maybe not another hardware synth but definately a decent hardware controller.

maybe this!! Image

http://www.cycling74.com/products/lemur.html
Last edited by porrig on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Spending more money on soft synths these days?

Post by plazadefunk » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:20 am

SubtleGestures wrote: Does anyone else feel this way?

:o
No, I'm looking for more old analog synths to buy...
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:30 am

Nope.
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:05 am

i'm not either. i've been getting lots of soft synths, but i'm definately on the look out for more hardware.
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:16 am

Not getting any soft synths either...although I want to listen to that timewarp emulation of the 2600 that sounds great apparently.
I was close to getting a Ceamware Scope card, but decided against it in the end.
Give it another few years and soft synths will get better sounding and then I'll be interested.
blimbo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by blimbo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:04 am

Me neither, I've got enough soft synths. I'm going to play with some gear in turnkey and hopefully be able to afford something in the new year.
TakeRecords
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TakeRecords » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:39 pm

nec wrote:Not getting any soft synths either...although I want to listen to that timewarp emulation of the 2600 that sounds great apparently.
I was close to getting a Ceamware Scope card, but decided against it in the end.
Give it another few years and soft synths will get better sounding and then I'll be interested.
have you tried the arturia minimoog? it sounds great. they do a 2600 emulation aswell but i haven't tried that.

i actually just dusted off my novation superbassstation rack having not used it in a year.
J3
Regular
Regular

Post by J3 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:04 pm

I'd almost fully given up with hardware, but it keeps creeping back in.
Software for effects though cannot be beaten...
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:11 pm

i just download cracks. its much easier. i do you the soft minimoog. just to copy some of the set ups and put it on the real deal 8)
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:27 pm

DandyP wrote:
have you tried the arturia minimoog? it sounds great. they do a 2600 emulation aswell but i haven't tried that.
I've heard all the arturia stuff, but did not like them enough to use over the hardware synths and they were killing my CPU. I think the Creamware Minimax is the best Minimoog emulation by far. The only thing I liked was having memory for the Moog modular...and some pads from the CS-80, but since I don't really use soft pads/strings in my tunes (take out the couple of times I've used some solina sample strings), I did not bother with it.
Needless to say that they do sound good enough to use in tunes of course, some of the better soft synths with all that crap that is out there.
maxblunt
Noob
Noob

Post by maxblunt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:51 pm

Just bought a virus kb for 400 quid and a few months back i got an MS-20, i love them both for very different reasons, i've had a JP-8000 for a few years now as well...

I prefer these to any soft synth i've used and i've used most of 'em out there.
TakeRecords
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TakeRecords » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:33 pm

nec wrote:
DandyP wrote:
I've heard all the arturia stuff, but did not like them enough to use over the hardware synths and they were killing my CPU. I think the Creamware Minimax is the best Minimoog emulation by far. The only thing I liked was having memory for the Moog modular...and some pads from the CS-80, but since I don't really use soft pads/strings in my tunes (take out the couple of times I've used some solina sample strings), I did not bother with it.
Needless to say that they do sound good enough to use in tunes of course, some of the better soft synths with all that crap that is out there.
it is quite a hog but my machine handles it without any problems. If you bump the number of voices much past 6 it gets really bad but i tend to keep it lower than that.

i've not heard the minimax emulation so i can't really comment on that. I did try another minimoog emulator but it didn't sound as good as the arturia one to me.
TakeRecords
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TakeRecords » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:37 pm

maxblunt wrote:Just bought a virus kb for 400 quid and a few months back i got an MS-20, i love them both for very different reasons, i've had a JP-8000 for a few years now as well...

I prefer these to any soft synth i've used and i've used most of 'em out there.
i have no space for anymore hardware synths unless they are racked.

gutted cause i have lust for a number of items
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:40 pm

the problem with software is it often loses compatibility as you upgrade your os etc Hardware never suffers updates!

I sample hardware ussually.

Give me more hardware!
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:01 pm

Don't think that has been an issue yet and there are always going to be updates.
Looking ahead a few years, with the advance of processing power available to us, I think that software will nail the analog sound completely and then offer all the extra stuff sigital has to offer.
After that happens it is clearly going to be an inspiration issue only...like having deco in your studio that makes you feel a certain way which later comes out when you make music.
I love hardware, but being able to carry many instances of my modular, lexicon reverbs, joemeek compressors...etc in a laptop and take it with me wherever I go, is going to be too much to resist...no to mention that you can save the whole tune and go back to change notes, reverb settings/whatever, whenever you feel like.
Anyway, there might be a digital revolution similar to the one when the DX7 came out and people could buy a TB-303 for $50 and the general concencus on what sounds good, will be completely different...who knows.
I think most people that actually release records have at least 1 hardware synth that they use a lot.
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:07 pm

good thread. interesting points from walter and nec.

personally, i'm on the nectarios boat right now, i have some hardware available to me, but with all the mad effects that can be added to software genearated sounds now, i'm won over completely by the fact that i'm able to get on a train to go to a far away gig and work on new tunes whilst sitting there.

the ability to work wherever i am is so unbelievably liberating and inspirational. one thing i have done is to go into places with absolutely awesome views or inspiring architecture and just sit and create. surrounding yourself with inspiration and then heading to the studio to clean it all up/mix it down is a very nice way of working. with some very pleasing results!
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:48 am

[quote="nec"] Give it another few years and soft synths will get better sounding and then I'll be interested.[/quote]

I used to think they weren't that hot (about a year ago), but man; they're already there dude.

Absynth 3, Cameleon 5000, Rhino, Albino 2 - they are more powerful than most hardware synths. The flexibility is totally there, the filters sound great.... and it's all digital, so it's cleaner than anything analogue.

I don't even think I want a Virus anymore. What's the point?... when you can spend a couple hundred bucks and have something that's just as powerful as anything analogue out there... and is more flexible most of the time.

Obviously, hardware will always hold a place in most of our hearts, but digital synths are turning heads in more ways than they ever have before.

The cost of these extremely powerful s.s. is what blows me away more than anything.
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:50 am

[quote="steelzinmealzonwheelz"]i just download cracks. its much easier. i do you the soft minimoog. just to copy some of the set ups and put it on the real deal 8)[/quote]

the minimoog is anh..... what does it have... one lfo? :lol: 2 :lol:
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:52 am

[quote="Walter Odington"]the problem with software is it often loses compatibility as you upgrade your os etc[/quote]

enh

what are you talking about