Where is that snare from?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Where is that snare from?

Post by Fedol » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:35 pm

Every time I listen to a plumps/stantons tune, also it appears on joebots mix - intro to first tune by Scruff - everyone's using it

ideas?

I don't have a particularly good drumsynth, so ideas would be top.

:?
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:52 pm

do what everyone else does and sample the plumps or the stantons.

or spend ages getting multilayered snares compressed and levelled right?
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
:gone:
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by :gone: » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:10 pm

There are so many good snare hits out there as wavs...I prefer using my mate who is a drummer though...almost endless possibilties with 3 kits that have so many swappable parts...room reverb, mic position...gets great results.

Or you could just use a Casio ;)
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:11 pm

have never used a preset mate, but there are three definitive snare sounds I constantly hear - one is an old skool style used by them in "get kinky" which I'm guessing everyone has sampled, there's that one, and one deeper...

It really was a stupid question so I guess I am open to abuse, as I regretted clicking"submit" the second I clicked.

Also just read the post about drum synths, and just checking out battery - so I promise I'll shut the fuck up....

One thing tho - I'm just not into nicking other peoples hits - wanna keep building my own.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by :gone: » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:16 pm

Hey I wasn't taking the piss! I don't know what sounds you make and was just sharing my thoughts...

Keep asking questions mate, I'm sure someone will give the right answer...eventually :D
thief
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Where is that snare from?

Post by thief » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:24 pm

gypsee wrote:Every time I listen to a plumps/stantons tune, also it appears on joebots mix - intro to first tune by Scruff - everyone's using it

ideas?

I don't have a particularly good drumsynth, so ideas would be top.

:?
use two snares one low and one high and eq th tops/bottoms respectively so they don't overlap too much - should sound fatter - you can also get a nice punch by tuning up a tight bass kick just under the level of the snare too but, again, keep it down in the mix and eq the bottom end off it. adding a nice crispy clap but keeping it down in the mix can add some punch as well.
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:58 pm

Thief wrote:
use two snares one low and one high and eq th tops/bottoms respectively so they don't overlap too much - should sound fatter - you can also get a nice punch by tuning up a tight bass kick just under the level of the snare too but, again, keep it down in the mix and eq the bottom end off it. adding a nice crispy clap but keeping it down in the mix can add some punch as well.

Nice, I've been using a really short sine wave with two snares - one for the attack and one for the release, using the ADSR envelope on each set oppositely to fuse them without a seam, with the sine wave giving the punch in the middle - to fairly nice effect - my problem is getting nice snappy snares , as when I compress many snare samples, they fizzle out under makeup gain.

But having said that, I just read your bit about the clap - I've always been really anti-handclap since I got bored of the Tony-de-vit style of hardhouse - however, this has made me realise that snappier sounds need snappier components.

I'm now gonna have a few attempts at building some new snares using that logic.

Nice work thief :)
Kickflip
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Kickflip » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:24 pm

Yeah, good advice from Thief there! Especially about the clap, something I'd forgotten about for ages but definitely getting back into them. Another good tip on the same line is to keep a collection of good chunky snare sounds, used to layer underneath the tonal snare. There's a lot of good snares out there to give the heaviness, start with a 909 and build up your collection from sampling a few tunes.

As for Get Kinky, listen to PSK What Does It Mean by Schooly D ;)

Obviously it's been sliced up, layed and processed lots, but the break from this tune forms the basis of the beat there.
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:30 pm

gypsee wrote:I regretted clicking"submit" the second I clicked.
no no, great thread. Snares are worth discussing!

Having said that, I think you may need to investigate compression more judging by your comments of make up gain crushing your sounds. Make up shouldn't change the dynamic of your sound unless its overdiving into somethign else. If it is, cant you just turn it down?

I like to layer snares :D
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:39 pm

I only have that problem when trying to get a lighter snare with more of a "Crack" as opposed to a deep thudding snare, which is easier to create

I swing between layering and layering, with the end result of nasty peaks in the final mix, or, as I mentioned, them kinda fizzing out a bit.

As I mentioned I don't have a particularly great drumsynth, but I nipped out to my local audio store today and checked a demo of battery, and that shit is fierce. Although I wouldn't use the presets as they stand, there are so many more options using it.

I've tinkered with laying bongos/congas/hats etc underneath my existing stuff, and have a collection of home made snares (about, oh, I dunno, thirty or so?) but they are all deeper and not what I'm really after.

Perfect example of what I'm trying to make was on Pilch and play's intro to Generation gap.

I fuckin rated the production on that, and that kinda snare has eluded me.

I've even chopped up vox for the initial hit, but it's the hollowhigh pitched mid section which I just can't get right.

Thinkin about it, I don't have any nice verb stuff either.....

click that tune I posted earlier - you'll get the idea - my snares all sound similar to that.
blimbo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by blimbo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:11 pm

Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:55 pm

/\ you got my hopes up then!

How does this snare rate in the 'snap' stakes?

http://212.67.202.30/~joe0/goods/snare.mp3
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
My Name is Gino
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by My Name is Gino » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:28 pm

andy plump was on here talking about where he nicked a snare from. Talking heads or something one time...something obscure anyway :}
Gino's April 2013 House Mix ->
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:26 am

WALTER WROTE:

/\ you got my hopes up then!

How does this snare rate in the 'snap' stakes?

defo more like it, but last night I used some advice I took from here -

started with a rim shot for the attack section, blended into a BP'd clap over a snare with a little "tck" to it, then, layered those over a fairly high pitched conga.

shoved it in soundforge, messed wiv da tail, and whack some big roomy 'verb on it, removed the tail again....

and hey presto - supper snappy shit dudes!

nice work all of ya, great advice, I didn't think to bring it in so I'll follow the path of the Odington and do the same tomorrow.

"Since I used this forum, my whites are whiter than ever! thanks NSB! "
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by :gone: » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:45 pm

dam0 wrote:andy plump was on here talking about where he nicked a snare from. Talking heads or something one time...something obscure anyway :}
That's the way to nick em!
Go for old records that have amazing musical components and hope you can get a clean take of whatever takes your fancy...I've used Julie Andrews, Roxy Music and Sonic Youth in stuff I did a few years ago...people who heard the tunes where asking "Where did you get THAT sound from?"
blimbo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by blimbo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:06 pm

I normally layer a snare and a clap together, compress, overdrive then eq and maybe add a touch of reverb. Something like that anyway.
andy plump
Noob
Noob

Post by andy plump » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:45 pm

couldn't resist responding.
The drums off Get kinky are straight off my 909
drum machine. I promise.
The reason they sound like Schoolly D. is because
schoolly used a 909 as well.
The trick was gated reverb. Give it a try- it works
wonders.
Defo layer snares up though- and don't worry
about finding really "clean" snares. The shit with
them can actually help.
And check out some classic drum machines- the
reason they keep being used is because they sit
so well in the mix.
I'd like to know why so many producers insist on
using that snare off e.g. Dare by the gorillaz.
It is the biggest cliche in breaks. I could name
about 30 tracks with it......and i keep being sent
more tracks with the same bloody backbeat!
rant over. peace.
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:14 pm

That was exactly what I needed, and I knew it had to be a similar source because the similarities were too much.

Obviously you do it somewhat better than I, but now I know where to start, and no better respondent than the producer himself!

Top stuff. wicked!

:D
TakeRecords
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TakeRecords » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:39 pm

If i start out with a snare sound that i like tonally i normally do the following.

hipassed kick, medium attack and medium decay
tonal snare, slow attack, slowish decay, a little sustain
crack sound snare, fast attack fast to medium decay

Once i have them layered up i play with the attack and decay so that each of the layers gets out of the way in time.

but there's not hard and fast rule. Sometimes i find a snare i like that doesn't need much doing to it - perhaps just a little compression to help the snap come out.

I'm really digging on stuff that isn't over produced at the moment - where the snares snap but aren't like being hit with a sledgehammer and it's more about the tone of the snare. Check out any precision cuts records for an example of what i'm on about.
TakeRecords
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TakeRecords » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:44 pm

incidently there is not enough threads like this one in the production forum anymore.