breaks in reason 3.0?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Thrifty350
Noob
Noob

breaks in reason 3.0?

Post by Thrifty350 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:20 am

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting releasable quality breaks tracks out of reason 3.0. Compositon, eq, mastering etc.

Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated. My songwriting has stalled, I'd like to take it to the next level.
skinny scott
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by skinny scott » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:23 am

Good for beats & perc but there are better VST's for everything else. I would recommend reason 3 rewired into cubase.

I think it's quite noticable how weak alot of the sounds are on reason compared to something like the korg, zeta 3 or albino.
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:14 am

You know how it says on the box of Reason that you can replace all your hardware with it? That might be true if you own a casio keyboard and a behringer compressor.
rjv
Regular
Regular

Post by rjv » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:20 am

it's impossible. don't even bother.
rah
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:56 am

dopamine wrote:That might be true if you own a casio
Hey - my Casio is the Shiz! :evil: ;)

"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
Thrifty350
Noob
Noob

Post by Thrifty350 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:14 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've always been hopeful, yet a little sceptical about an "all-in-one" solution to writing quality tracks.

I have tried rewiring reason into nuendo, works pretty well except for a little latency problem at the start of the track.

Am also planning on purchasing a korg kontrol 49?...

I might have to try integrating my ESX-1 a bit more too - get more layers going.

I've also tried ab'ing my stuff against tracks on vinyl. I guess a signal coming straight out of the computer isn't going to have the same warmth as the pressed stuff...

As they say - "If at first you don't succeed..."

Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice.
William Breakspear
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by William Breakspear » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:35 am

OI!

Reason 3 is the tits dude, don't let these punks tell ya otherwise!

The key is not to use Reason synths till you know how to get the best from them, use samples instead.

If you do that, reason is just as good as anything else - in fact the reason 3 EQs and compressors are fine, they may not sound a whole lot better than Behringer gear but at least the components can't fry!

Rewiring is still preferable to benefit from better summing in a higher quality mixer, (and maybe to add some 3rd party processors and FX).

Hell we here at Entity productions WRITE all our stuff on Reason, and it ain't doing us much harm! ;)
northernlight
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by northernlight » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:32 am

Bill_Entity wrote:OI!

The key is not to use Reason synths till you know how to get the best from them, use samples instead.

If you do that, reason is just as good as anything else - in fact the reason 3 EQs and compressors are fine, they may not sound a whole lot better than Behringer gear but at least the components can't fry!

Rewiring is still preferable to benefit from better summing in a higher quality mixer, (and maybe to add some 3rd party processors and FX).

Hell we here at Entity productions WRITE all our stuff on Reason, and it ain't doing us much harm! ;)
:app:

the man knows what he's talking 'bout
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:53 am

Bill_Entity wrote:OI!

werd!

i don't use the reason synths at all - in fact i don't use softsynths at all. i write all my stuff in reason, and have had stuff signed that i wrote entirely in reason 1.0.

put good samples in, you'll get good sounds out innit.
Binster (AKA Dr.Awkward)
Regular
Regular

Post by Binster (AKA Dr.Awkward) » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:34 pm

Abandoned Petrol Station was done entirely in reason 3. Practically all subtractors and redrums. Sounds quite phat to my ears... :)

For drums, I find it quite handy to have all your drum sounds going into a 'drums' mixer, then sending that to a 'master' mixer - spider-split the signal into about three different passes - one clean, one very compressed, one with gnarly effects on it, then connecting them up as three seperate channels in the main mixer. If that makes sense.

Also, a tape compressor on the final out can smooth off the digital clipping.

Reason's bad ass. Ignore the dissenters. :)
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:48 pm

Reason is awesome, there's no denying it and you have probably taken me the wrong way. I'm a staunch advocate of the all in one solution as many of you know.

But, the summing in Reason is not so great so to get it's full potential you really need to rewire it which misses the all in one point.
basslogos
Lurker
Lurker

Post by basslogos » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:29 pm

I want know only one thing!!!!!!!!!
Exist one producer that realized a good vinil of break use only reason(no rewire)?????????????????
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:33 am

probably quite a few. DnB clownstep don Fresh certainly has, my first Reason-only effort should be out sometime around the end of the year, um....
c o l l i n s 3 0 3
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by c o l l i n s 3 0 3 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:06 am

binster wrote:Abandoned Petrol Station was done entirely in reason 3.
thats possibly the best ad reason could have, in the process of reformatting and resetting up me pc, i reckon this will be on it!
:gone:
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by :gone: » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:20 am

collins303 wrote:
thats possibly the best ad reason could have, in the process of reformatting and resetting up me pc, i reckon this will be on it!
Chris...you realise you can rewire Reason 3 with Ableton 5?
My mate Deadman DJ is also using some crazy patch thingy created by Tim Exile for NI in Ableton 5...quite mind blowing stuff :)
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:22 am

edb wrote:probably quite a few. DnB clownstep don Fresh certainly has,
yeah but what outboard gear was involved with creating the samples that he then put into reason :?:
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:38 am

Was it Mylo that did everything is Reason? And then got mixed in a proper studio, but still, the song writting was done is Reason.
So as far as writting breaks tunes, Reason is good enough since Drop The Pressure is bigger than all the breaks tunes that came out this year, combined!
Thrifty350
Noob
Noob

Post by Thrifty350 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:55 am

Is there a quick way to give the drums a more natural feel. I've read about quantizing, but I'm not too sure how this works, or how best to get it to work.

And also, how do I get a nice, sweet, fat bottom end, without slapping a sloppy sounding sub underneath it all. I've got a friend who linked up 49 subtractors, detuning each one as he went. Do I really need to go to that much trouble to get the sound I'm after?

Just tell me to bugger off if I'm asking too many questions. But, it seems like there are few people out there who really seem to know what they are talking about.
c o l l i n s 3 0 3
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by c o l l i n s 3 0 3 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:57 am

Henryoid wrote:
collins303 wrote:
Chris...you realise you can rewire Reason 3 with Ableton 5?
My mate Deadman DJ is also using some crazy patch thingy created by Tim Exile for NI in Ableton 5...quite mind blowing stuff :)
i realise not much when it comes to all tings producing, hence i'm gonan strip me pc down and get rid of all the shite and just reset up a couple of applications that i'm actually going to learn to use properly rather than endless tinkering witha 101 applications and plug ins!

thats the plan anyway :)
:gone:
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by :gone: » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:30 am

Thrifty350 wrote:Is there a quick way to give the drums a more natural feel. I've read about quantizing, but I'm not too sure how this works, or how best to get it to work.

And also, how do I get a nice, sweet, fat bottom end, without slapping a sloppy sounding sub underneath it all. I've got a friend who linked up 49 subtractors, detuning each one as he went. Do I really need to go to that much trouble to get the sound I'm after?

Just tell me to bugger off if I'm asking too many questions. But, it seems like there are few people out there who really seem to know what they are talking about.
Make drums feel real?
Sample several breaks you like certain elements of...ReCycle them or pick them apart in Soundforge or something. Reload the ReCycled file in the Rex device in Reason and other hits etc into one of the samplers or ReDrum and hey presto..real sounding drums. Add pushes and pulls to them, bit of reverb...whatever. Play with it :D