logic audio vs protools vs cubase

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

stoefln
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

logic audio vs protools vs cubase

Post by stoefln » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:29 pm

currently i m workin still with reason. love this prog cause of its comfortable
automation (editing in reason seems to be very timeefficient and thats really important for me!). thats why i still stick with it. but workin with samples is very uncool and lack of vsti-support drives me insane- so i have to look for another sequencer.
i m workin on a intel-centrino-notebook and i know that new versions of logic will only be released for apple... so what should i use.. protools? cubase? what do you think?
Gemini Gee
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gemini Gee » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:47 pm

Well Protools will only work with a digidesign audio interface - Mbox, 002 & 002r
Cubase is my weapon of choice though there is Sonar, not used it myself so cant comment if its any cop!
STICKY FINGERS

Guilty As Charged
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Guilty As Charged » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:51 pm

SX3 - Logic is the just as good but fook spending all that cash on a mac

B
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:09 pm

If you wanna go the Cubase route, but don't wanna get ripped off by SXs retarded prices - buy Cubase SE.... awesome lil midi host for vstis.

If you're looking for a new sequencer - get LIVE and be done with it.
stoefln
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by stoefln » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:06 am

i know live, but i m not shure if thats the thing i want. possibilities and features is not everything- i mean for example: photoshop cant do so much more than any other professional picture editing prog, but it has this abbility to release your creative power much more then any other picure software. i think maybee thats the same with audiosoftware...
ableton live is cool anyway...
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:54 am

I flick between live and cubase sx and i would say think of it in terms of tools for the job.

sometimes ableton's ability to produce results unexpetedly from pissing around is great, sometimes the workflow and the not so great effects let you down.

the main thing is your ideas, the ability to get them in a form you find easy to work with and improve on and then complete the tune with. completion of tunes is a battle most people never win.

i say choose a format (mac or pc) then take a program, write tunes with it, learn it's limitations and then if you're not doing what you feel you are capable of/you are limited by software try the other option. Learn that to the best of your ability and then you are in the position where you can use a different tool at different times and you can answer your own "what's better" queries by having the knowledge.

oh, and you'll enjoy all the experimenting along the way too, so just keep trying.
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:30 am

[quote="stoefln"]i know live, but i m not shure if thats the thing i want. possibilities and features is not everything- i mean for example: photoshop cant do so much more than any other professional picture editing prog, but it has this abbility to release your creative power much more then any other picure software. i think maybee thats the same with audiosoftware...
ableton live is cool anyway...[/quote]

Your description of photoshop fits Live in regards to making edm to a T.

Lives effects are plenty badass - the Live Filter is one of the best filters ever made imo - it's always been my go to filter for everything.

The workflow in live is designed to meet the musicians expectations for making BADASS variations of wavs/midi riffs, FAST & easy.

I've had Cubase SE for close to 3 weeks and although I like it as my new Vsti host (I got it for $80, can't beat that, and I'm not ready to blow $200+ on Live 5), the way the sequencer is set up makes me laugh at people that decide to sequence entire songs in that environment.

It seems like people who make these big "$800+" sequencers try to give you multiple options for every lil thing..... Live is straight up to the point, and fast, and way easy to move around in.

I've never touched Logic, or Sonar

Cubase is solid, yes - but cumbersome IMO

Live is the easiest soft sequencer to use and learn to date - period.

For hardware - nothing compares to the ease of sequencing w/a Triton.

Give Live a try - (as long as you've got some wavs handy on the HD)
you'll be making a beat/song the first night.

Try doing that w/all the other "big boy" sequencers.

my nickel
ollie_bitrok
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by ollie_bitrok » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:16 am

SubtleGestures wrote: Cubase is solid, yes - but cumbersome IMO

Live is the easiest soft sequencer to use and learn to date - period.

For hardware - nothing compares to the ease of sequencing w/a Triton.

Give Live a try - (as long as you've got some wavs handy on the HD)
you'll be making a beat/song the first night.

Try doing that w/all the other "big boy" sequencers.

my nickel
I defo agree that cubase is a c*nt to learn, im still using an outdated version it cos it takes a fair bit of farting around to get comfortable with all the updates of a new version... but that said, once you have cubase down all the little options for every aspect of the sound become really powerful... with sequencers you can either use them in trying to make the sound thats in your head, or just fuck around and experiment and come up with some cool, albeit random sounds - usually putting a tune together is a combo of both... i find for the sound in your head type stuff cubase has definately brought me the closest
porrig
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by porrig » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:41 am

also remember if you do get cubase in any of its forms you can then integrate reason into the system with rewire.

You can also integrate Live.
Gemini Gee
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gemini Gee » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:35 am

SubtleGestures wrote:Live is the easiest soft sequencer to use and learn to date - period.
l
Easiest does not always mean best though, horses for courses.
Been using cubase on the ol ST since 92 so its the sequencer im used too, doesnt mean its the best but its my choice!
STICKY FINGERS

nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:41 am

If you are a PC user, get SX. If you are a Mac user, get Logic.
They are both very easy to learn and will provide enough to make belters.
I use Logic 5.5 and am fine with it.
Cubase is just as good as Logic, its all down to what seems more logical/convinient to your way of working.
Just choose one and start making tunes!
SubtleGestures
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by SubtleGestures » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:10 pm

[quote="porrig"]also remember if you do get cubase in any of its forms you can then integrate reason into the system with rewire.

You can also integrate Live.[/quote]

mighty fine point :!:
stoefln
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by stoefln » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:50 pm

thx for the numerous replies!
... rewire is a good thing but i hate to open more then one program for one project- one project should have one projectfile...
Getta
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Getta » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:19 pm

Hey guys,
There are so many amazing programs out there at the moment that will suit people at any level of ability. R
eason's cool for the more basic end yet the wiring facilities puts it ahead of other programs in terms of educational quailites. Cubase is a horse but it eats your processor like one. However Cubase/Nuendo do support surround sound mixing so bring it on.
Logic is gay is you use a PC. Ableton is the bollocks (my prefrence, lord praise them German's) BUT if you're thinking long term investment Pro Tools is the way forward AND it ReWires....sweet :shock:
Basically my point is there is so much available to us now that we need to imbrace what's there, appreciate the quality of our tools and use bits here and there, spend time getting know different programs and if they don't suit move on.
Anyway just having a rant really.
Nice one
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

Post by afdafsf » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:07 am

pro tools is the way forward enh.... funny that it can't even render songs as stereo files

pro tools is a fucking joke for making edm - all the proprietary sound cards/plug ins are over priced

pro tools is for old retards that like saying they spent too much on their music tools
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:09 pm

soooo uncool, but if you want to open one file and it's all there.........FL studio. It's as limiting as you make it, it supports VST and you providing you use a separate sampler, (I use soundforge).

you'd be surprised how many Brighton/London based breaks producers use it(with Reason). If you genuinely have to produce and take your work in a format which can be edited in-studio for mastering etc then this may not work for you, but if you ain't pressing one a month, it works...

**awaits barrage of rotten fruit**

G
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Interesting things being said about Ableton. Many friends of mine swear by that program and say it caters for everything. I haven't yet figured it out but when I have a weekend with nothing else to do that'll be the first thing. I use Cubase SX rewired with Reason. The problem with Cubase is the default plug-ins are naff and you need Waves or similar for professional results. I know MOve YA from Audio Bug does everything in pro-tools as do Precision Cuts. They both say its worth every penny.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:11 am

youthful_implants wrote:everything in pro-tools as do Precision Cuts.
They do? When me and Vigi remixed "Another World" for them, we got a Logic file.
I think "I Found Love" was also done using Logic.
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TT_ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:42 am

They do? When me and Vigi remixed "Another World" for them, we got a Logic file.
I think "I Found Love" was also done using Logic.
its true. I use logic now. I used to a have a PRO TOOLs rig back in the old days. There were eight tracks and digital EQ but i have to say it was more rock solid than most systems i work on today. Logic is the poor mans pro tools. Didgedesign (pro tools owners) also have special ways of opening your wallet and extracting money. It is buff tho

ABLETON?

im going back to me fostex 4 track mate.

no truthfully ableton is fuckin AMAZING
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:33 am

My current rig has problems, actually one problem, that takes a bit of time to sort out...MIDI timing. I get the odd note out of place and I have to go to the audio region to sort it out. But to be quite honest, I am tired thinking that I need to upgrade my sequencer. I've been more than happy using Logic on my PC. I've been using it for a long time and know the software inside out. I think that it is that which is the most important thing. Most sequencers nowdays provide more than enough to make tunes on. It is reasonable for someone who is just starting, to make sure they start with the right package, but Logic, Cubase, they are all good enough. The most important bit is to actually start learning one and get used to it. After that, all the debates about the best sequencing package become trivial.
How many times have you heard people saying that hardware sequencers are dead and that only stuck up hardware die hards that are in denial use them? It's all internet bullshit, mostly by people that haven't even released one record.
Outside the internet though, people like dopamine seem to be doing just fine!