What's your sequencer?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

You use...?

Logic
21%
Cubase
43%
Nuendo
6%
Protools
4%
Soundforge
No votes
Audition
1%
other
24%

Total votes: 70
ollie_bitrok
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

What's your sequencer?

Post by ollie_bitrok » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:33 am

I was out a couple of nights ago and bumped into the producer from the 'loose cannons' (a London house outfit - i think they had that hit 'superstar' this year) ... anyway i proceeded to launch into the usual production blag about VSTs, sofware vs hardware blah blah blah until we got to the topic of sequencers...

Upon hearing that i was a cubase user he scoffed! said basically i was stuck with medieval technology and logic was light years ahead...? You know how it is when someone disses your sequencer, they mite as well have called your mother a whore...

On to the point: Is he talking shit or does the new version of logic actually have that much over cubase? Obviously i understand that sequencers essentially do the same thing some will just have better sounding/quicker ways of doing things & different compatabilities...

what do u use, and what are any known benefits exclusive to your sequencer?

** edit **
yeah, and LIVE aswell + a few others i forgot to put on the list... it was late, gimme a fucking break. Btw wtf is soundforge then if its not a sequencer - ive only heard ppl mentioning it? And yeah - it was lord fader himself in the above quote... **
Last edited by ollie_bitrok on Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:53 am

other...

I use a Yamaha RS7000.

Advatages are that everything is hands on, knobs for everything and it has a tracker like editing page for extremely precise editing.

matt
Kickflip
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Kickflip » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:23 am

It's a contentious point this... I really like Logic personally, it's laid out brilliantly, has a stack of decent options to help you along, and is generally just what I'm looking for, and I'll take the piss out of Cubase for a laugh and out of tradition ;) But when it comes down to it, it's not like music suddenly became good as soon as version W of sequencer G came out. When anyone is seriously doubting someone's skills just because of the sequencer they use, it just doesn't make sense.

The sequencer is just there as a tool. The way it works is going to have an effect of the way you work, no doubt, but it's still down to what you feel comfortable with and what works for you. Take Dopamine above as an example - he's not using any of the big software sequencers (or software at all), but recently got 2 tunes signed to TCR! The tunes you loved from a few years ago, they weren't written using up to date stuff, but they still sound tight!

For another point, from what I've heard there's a fair few PC Logic users who hadn't clicked with Cubase have been quite into SX3. I've been tempted to give it a try myself, but I've not got the time just yet! Also, a lot of good stuff comes from when you're limited by what you use, because you find ways to get the best out of the equipment you have, and get to know its limitations.

PS - use Logic ;)
TheScore
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by TheScore » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:10 am

well u know wot i use ollie

& i agree with wot kickflips said, they all more or less do the same things in different ways, comes down 2 the person using the programme to make it sound good.

that dude from the loose cannons was prob just wanting 2 sound like he knew it all coz they sucked live & couldnt get the crowd singing along coz no1 knew their songs :)

imo the stuff ur making using cubase is sounding better than any of the music that dude is making using logic
porrig
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: What's your sequencer?

Post by porrig » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:26 pm

ollie_b wrote:I was out a couple of nights ago and bumped into the producer from the 'loose cannons' (a London house outfit - i think they had that hit 'superstar' this year) ... anyway i proceeded to launch into the usual production blag about VSTs, sofware vs hardware blah blah blah until we got to the topic of sequencers...

Upon hearing that i was a cubase user he scoffed! said basically i was stuck with medieval technology and logic was light years ahead...? You know how it is when someone disses your sequencer, they mite as well have called your mother a whore...
:badgrin: :badgrin:

If it was "Lord Fader" then I think you should take what he says with a pinch of salt. He's a mate of mine
I used to work with him when he was known as Marcus in our uni Gym. He's very opinionated about sequencers (I've always been a Cubase user and very happy I am with that. He's probably never even seen Cubase open)
He'll also slag off PCs if you got him on that topic.
But an amusing tale was one time he phoned up the Logic helpline to ask them why his dongle emulator wasn't working. Well they terminated the phonecall pretty sharpish. :lol:

And Marcus if you're reading this no offence eh! ;)
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

Post by afdafsf » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:41 am

WHat a fucking faggot to not put LIVE up there in the list

stupid motherfucker - don't get into making music

go fuck yourself instead :!:
TakeRecords
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TakeRecords » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:21 am

nuskoolbreaks_head wrote:WHat a fucking faggot to not put LIVE up there in the list

stupid motherfucker - don't get into making music

go fuck yourself instead :!:
diplomatically put :lol:

but you do have a point ;-)
Moif
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Moif » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:23 am

Its not what you got, it's how you use it™
http://www.brap.fm

I run shit parties.
S!mtekakaPlucking Skanker
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by S!mtekakaPlucking Skanker » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:34 am

i use logic cos it's all i have ever used, but as toher people have said earlier, it's like arguing pc or mac, labour or conservative etc

they all essentially do the same thing!!!
my space
d-tuned my space

17/11-Lobotomy "Templars" (Nottingham)
23/11-Synergy Project "SE One" (London)
24/11-Walrus "Blueprint" (Nottingham)
12/12-Wrong Music "Volks" (Brighton)
Splashmash
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Splashmash » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:52 pm

Who cares!!

Software doesn't write music for you.

If you have talent and creativity then you'll be able to write great tracks whatever you use!!

Possibly the best advice is to stop looking at what everyone else uses, stop installing new vsts/vstis etc (in fact delete most of them and just keep a few). Then you can spend your time learning how to write great music.

Gear lust is most unproductive thing ever!
Splashmash
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Splashmash » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:57 pm

Oh... and to solve all of the age old arguments:

Ableton Live!, PCs and hardware synths are the best! ;)
anna b
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by anna b » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:48 pm

dopamine wrote:other...

I use a Yamaha RS7000.

Advatages are that everything is hands on, knobs for everything and it has a tracker like editing page for extremely precise editing.

matt
Beautiful.

xxx
"DJ's.......CURB YOUR VOLUME!!!
blimbo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by blimbo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:33 am

Splashmash wrote: Gear lust is most unproductive thing ever!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm gear.....

Oh shit sorry
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:56 am

I used Pro Tools for a few years and was very happy with it, but about two years ago I made the move to Logic as
- it offered lots of bang for the buck (built in sampler and very high quality plugins)
- I was fed up with Digidesign requiring their own soundcards in order to get Pro Tools running

However I have to admit I have been swearing at Logic quite a bit - hardly the most intuitive sequencer, it has quite a few major bugs which Apple doesn't seem to care too much about (the one where the delay stopa and there restarts if an audio file is too short has been there since version 4!!).
The midi side is definitely much more advanced than ProTools and the factory plugins are quality - what I really miss about Pro Tools though is the super-tight audio editing, which is a bit shit in Logic imo.
Kickflip
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Kickflip » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:04 pm

plazadefunk wrote:the one where the delay stopa and there restarts if an audio file is too short has been there since version 4!!
I hate this bug!!!

I've not noticed it for a while though... I know it's still there, but I tend to use delays on the buses a lot more these days, I think that gets around it.

Crazy that it's been in there for so long though, it's the sort of bug that should be fixed as soon as it's found!
afdafsf

Post by afdafsf » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:04 am

oh yeah

Sound Forge is NOT a sequencer

derh
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:56 am

Splashmash wrote:Who cares!!

Software doesn't write music for you.

If you have talent and creativity then you'll be able to write great tracks whatever you use!!

Possibly the best advice is to stop looking at what everyone else uses, stop installing new vsts/vstis etc (in fact delete most of them and just keep a few). Then you can spend your time learning how to write great music.

Gear lust is most unproductive thing ever!
that said, I could probably do with an 808, 909 and 303 and a nice MS20 as well if you have spare ones.
Thank you! ;)
Baazbana
Noob
Noob

Post by Baazbana » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:58 am

I use Reason3, CubaseSX3 and Live4,,,, It depends on which one I feel like writing in. Reason 3 is pretty damn cool Rewired with Live4 or Cubase. I have Tracktion also but I dont really like it so I dont use it. Reason 3 is awesome it just needs a sequencer update cause its pretty primaitve compared to the others but like most Experienced people say its how you use what you have.
Is there anyone who uses Fruityloops to Make Nuskool Breaks, now that I would like to hear cause somehow I see that sequencer as the worst out of them all but i know there are some people who can use it like sharpshooters.
j hazen
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by j hazen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:43 pm

Sonar 4

oh yea, now i guess i have to curse you out like a 2nd grader for not having my precious on the list too :roll:
matthew xly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by matthew xly » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:21 am

I fancy a bit of that Live myself...