logic or cubase?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

...?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:37 pm

logic
42%
cubase sx
58%

Total votes: 36
Jung
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

logic or cubase?

Post by Jung » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:37 pm

i kinda figure i'm going to need to learn one of them inside out this year, but i dont want to buy one only to realise i should have gone with the other. and so i just want people to vote, and try and persaude me to go with one and not the other. you've got a week to vote.
Hedflux
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Hedflux » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:44 pm

Probably best to ask someone who knows both programs intimately. Most of us mortals only know one of them, and thats obviously what we'd vote for!
TechMoses
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TechMoses » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:50 pm

The question may as well be "do you own a PC or a Mac?"

If you have a Mac, get Logic.

If you have a PC, get Cubase (or Sonar).

Unless you don't mind using older or more buggy versions of software.
:.ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
: ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
: Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
:
: ► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
zooloo
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by zooloo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:00 pm

TechMouse wrote:The question may as well be "do you own a PC or a Mac?"

agreed... they both do the same thing anyhow.
"We are creatures of habit. The thing is to recognize when good habits become bad. At that moment, you've got to be ready to break them and find yourself a little bit in the unknown." - John McLaughlin

latest dj mixes and more
general shit talking and bollocks
Jung
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jung » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:01 pm

it depends how buggy logic five is?

and could people just vote for what they like, regardless of whether they've even used the other
blimbo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by blimbo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:11 pm

I use Logic 5 on a PC... it is a bit buggy, but I get by.

I've used Logic 6 on a Mac and there's still a few bugs in that too.

:?:
Hedflux
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Hedflux » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:21 pm

never found bugs in SX 2, but then i probably dont use it to its full capacity.

Learning a whole new sequencer is just such a daunting thought. The only way i would learn logic is through working with someone who uses it, i'd never just do it myself. Cubase does everything i need from it and i'm always learning new things.
SometimesSean
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by SometimesSean » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:58 pm

Been using cubase since 3.something and have trided logic but couldn't get into the interface, probably cus I was so used to cubase, but then sx was a new learning curve.

Personaly I say Cubase though. But you should choose which ever program is gonna be easiest to use for your ability.
grum
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by grum » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:31 pm

TechMouse wrote:The question may as well be "do you own a PC or a Mac?"

yep
ACME
Regular
Regular

Post by ACME » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:46 pm

You already have Live 4 and know jow to use it, am I right?
then get a shitload of plug-ins and stick with that.

It does what the others do.
Jung
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jung » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 pm

i know fruityloops inside out, like literally. but i want to start learning another sequencer as people constantly tell me that cubase and logic are so much better. so i kind of figured i'd try them out. which would be the best if i know fruityloops?
ACME
Regular
Regular

Post by ACME » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:06 pm

jung wrote:i know fruityloops inside out, like literally. but i want to start learning another sequencer as people constantly tell me that cubase and logic are so much better. so i kind of figured i'd try them out. which would be the best if i know fruityloops?
I don't know fruityloops... but Ableton Live is probably the most similar. You can get it with an educational discount, it's available for mac and pc. and it's great really.

If you have a pc, i don't recommend buying Logic, support is non-existant for windows users.
So you could get it kraked.
If you'd plan on buying a mac, then it would be a different story.

And, finally... don't believe the hype.
Everyone will tell you a different story... try them and choose the one you like more.
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:27 pm

I think the main question I would ask myself if it was me is: what is more stable?

Cubase SX or Logic 5 PC?

I dont kow the answer, but having used cracks in the past I would say stability is the biggest issue.
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
Jung
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jung » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:37 pm

well i wasn't planning on buying something i've never used. and so i've got a cracked version of sx2 and logic 5

logic seems stable, but i dont even get how to connect a vst to a midi channel, whereas i do in cubase. but cubase crashes a lot. i guess it's just because it's cracked. i will buy next month on pay day 8)
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:59 pm

open the environment and select an audio instrument track. these are your VSTi jobbys. when you select it the details for that track should come up in the left of the environment. If it doesn't in the drop down menus select view>details. On these details there should be a whole load of crap including the MIDI channel.

hope that works!
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:34 am

Logic
TechMoses
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TechMoses » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:29 am

ACME wrote:I don't know fruityloops... but Ableton Live is probably the most similar. You can get it with an educational discount, it's available for mac and pc. and it's great really.

If you have a pc, i don't recommend buying Logic, support is non-existant for windows users.
So you could get it kraked.
If you'd plan on buying a mac, then it would be a different story.

And, finally... don't believe the hype.
Everyone will tell you a different story... try them and choose the one you like more.
From what I understand, Ableton is the way forward.

Does everything you could want & more compositionally, in a much easier and more intuitive way. Plus, if you're proper anal you can always rewire it into Cubase / Logic for mastering.
:.ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
: ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
: Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
:
: ► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
porrig
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by porrig » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:53 am

jung wrote:i know fruityloops inside out, like literally. but i want to start learning another sequencer as people constantly tell me that cubase and logic are so much better. so i kind of figured i'd try them out. which would be the best if i know fruityloops?
HAve you used the new fruity loops yet? All the reviews have been pretty good. Do you not fancy trying that too?
TakeRecords
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TakeRecords » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:08 pm

what's the deal with this logic plugin delay compensation thing i keep on hearing about?

even though i use cubase to be honest from speaking to professionals it seems logic is the way to go if starting from scratch.

I've been using cubase since 1994 though so it doesn't really make any sense for me to change.
zooloo
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by zooloo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:46 pm

DandyP wrote:what's the deal with this logic plugin delay compensation thing i keep on hearing about?

even though i use cubase to be honest from speaking to professionals it seems logic is the way to go if starting from scratch.

I've been using cubase since 1994 though so it doesn't really make any sense for me to change.
Its an automatic latency adjustment that the application makes during playback to compensate for the latency that most plugins introduce.

Logic is the only Pro application that doesn't support full PDC across all the mixer channels... just to clarify, Logic only supports PDC on audio and instrument tracks ... DP, Cubase PT etc, all have full PDC.

The issue only really becomes a big problem if you use any 3rd party DSP cards like the UAD-1 or TC Powercore, as the plugins that run on these cards introduce huge amounts of latency (coz audio has to travel to the PCI (or firewire) bus and back again) and if you insert say a reverb onto a bus you get a fat delay between the orignal source material and the effect.. which has to be corrected by manually delaying the rest of the tracks to stay in time with the bus... sounds complicated I know... :shock:

z.
"We are creatures of habit. The thing is to recognize when good habits become bad. At that moment, you've got to be ready to break them and find yourself a little bit in the unknown." - John McLaughlin

latest dj mixes and more
general shit talking and bollocks