R.I.P. Brendan Crowe (Splitloop)

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

R.I.P. Brendan Crowe (Splitloop)

Post by shaman » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Carl Loben wrote:There's no way of dressing this up, here's some more bad news for 2020. Brendan Crowe, aka Bren from Splitloop — great breakbeat duo from the early noughties — has sadly passed away.

He was involved in a motorbike accident in the Philippines, where he's lived for the past few years. Apparently friends from Ireland and also from the Philippines know the news already, but not really his UK breakbeat friends from 15 years ago, so this will come as a shock to quite a few people. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Bren was a great character who made some great tunes with Splitloop partner Phil back in the day — they first met on their way to a Prodigy gig in Dublin. Ahead of their time in many ways, especially when it came to the breaks/electro-house crossover years, when this tune 'Electricity' would rock Supercharged and the like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVphuF1rpJg
RIP Bren, take care mate x

https://www.facebook.com/carl.loben/pos ... 6818640482
Danny
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: R.I.P. Brendan Crowe (Splitloop)

Post by Danny » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:18 am

2020, the year that keeps on giving :(
ImageImage
HATCH_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by HATCH_ » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi,

It's been so long since i've posted on this forum that I had forgotten my login details and needed to create a new account. Nonetheless, I wanted to do so because I wanted to pay my respect to Brendan. Bren and Phil, aka Splitloop, were kind enough to remix one of Steelz's tunes on our West Records label back in the early 00's. Their enormous remix helped to propel our label into the breakbeat limelight and gave us an opportunity to go toe-to-toe with the established labels of the breaks scene.

At the time, I remember receiving the first edit of the remix and between us thinking that it was a little too bass heavy. Bren agreed to tweak it, but we still weren't quite certain enough had been trimmed. Fortunately, the promotions team at Fabric let me take the edit down to their room 2 sound system during the week and try it out. It was perfect. Properly fat and ready to go.

A few months later Breakspoll had their first awards event at Fabric and Splitloop were booked. I remember watching them live on the stage of room 2. The energy of the room was palpable. They had the room in the palm of their hands. In the back of my mind I had hoped that they'd perform the remix, but they were playing all of their original tracks. "Fair enough" i thought and continued to dance the night away. Then, with just enough time for one more track, a familiar beat came in and they progressed to drop Steelz's remix live on the stage of room 2. It was incredible and will be ingrained on my mind forever.

Those memories were only possible because of Bren and the work he did with Phil. May he RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqcDyQ ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by HATCH_ on Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:40 pm

HATCH_ wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:05 pm Then, with just enough time for one more track, a familiar beat came in and they progressed to drop Steelz's remix live on the stage of room 2. It was incredible and will be ingrained on my mind forever.

Those memories were only possible because of Bren and the work he did with Phil. May he RIP.
:tuna: :yesyes: 8)
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Purveyor of the egg-based setup™ since 2008
Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Protoplasym » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks for sharing the story, Shaman. It was interesting to read about the man. I'm sorry to those who miss him and may he RIP.
juankax
Lurker
Lurker

Post by juankax » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:01 am

Thanks for the info, jimmy.
daniella downs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by daniella downs » Wed May 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Super sad. I used to absolutely love them. Seeing splitloop at the breakspoll afterparty at herbal in 08 (maybe?) Was one of the reasons I made the trip over the pond.
ian l daniella downs
nic_ wrote:THIS IS IS FUCKEN BREAKS FORUM
DJ Racist Haircut
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DJ Racist Haircut » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:17 pm

Another one falls. RIP.
First time I hear your music it punch me in the face.

No need shitstaff, this may bulverse you.
SondraHenfling
Lurker
Lurker

Post by SondraHenfling » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:57 pm

Terrible. R.I.P.