Nu-Funk, Funky Breaks - Differences?

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

freewave
Lurker
Lurker
Twitter: freewavesynth

Nu-Funk, Funky Breaks - Differences?

Post by freewave » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 pm

So I saw the 4chan's Essential Albums for Nu Skool Funky Breaks which appears to be a lot of different Breaks scenes wrapped into one chart. From what I've been reading about the last 2 decades is there's actually:

Nu Skool Breaks
Funky Breaks
Nu-Funk
Ghetto Breaks
Tech-Funk

I was pretty familiar Nu Skool Breaks back in the 00's and I've understood that Ghetto Breaks is the wobbly midtempo from its own label. Tech-Funk is the Elite Force, Meat Katie, Lee Coombs Let 49 stuff that mixes Techno and Funky Breaks......

But what I'm having trouble with is what is Funky Breaks and what is Nu-Funk??

I've been told: "Goodgroove is early ghetto funk / nufunk jalapeno is basically funk / funky breaks and finger lickin is uptempo nuskool breaks ... it can get confusing at times. Funky breaks is the adjective form, there will always be funky breaks. Nufunk refers to funky breaks before will and slim created the ghetto funk genre. Ghetto funk is basically funky breaks with wobbly bass lines.

The last sentence makes sense to me but the rest I'm still not getting the rest. Is Nu-Funk the more organic side of breaks, like Fort Knox Five and All Good Funk Alliance? Is it more midtempo but without the wobbles and electronics? Is Finger Lickin really not Nu-Funk or Funky Breaks at all?

Any help is appreciated as I want to make sense of some of the divisions. :circularsaw:
:tuna: The Ultimate Way to Explore Genres
"I'm a teacher.............but I'm also a student" ~ Dj Shadow :tuna:
Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Re: Nu-Funk, Funky Breaks - Differences?

Post by Protoplasym » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 am

I can't chime in with anything useful other than, you forgot to include Progressive Breaks and Electro Breaks. :chin: ;)
freewave
Lurker
Lurker

Post by freewave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Protoplasym wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 am
I can't chime in with anything useful other than, you forgot to include Progressive Breaks and Electro Breaks. :chin: ;)
and Psybreaks

But ultimately those are easier to understand what they are.... :tuna:
freewave
Lurker
Lurker

Post by freewave » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:52 am

Well i did some more reading and my assumption NOW is that Nu-Funk tried to split off as a midtempo scene for more hip-hop/funk tempo and energy and then Ghetto Funk split off from the organic side of that and added a lot more wobbles and modern elements.

Correct me if I'm wrong .......
freewave
Lurker
Lurker

Post by freewave » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:46 am

Well I hope that's it. There's not exactly a straightforward guide on the styles and subgenres here.