Creating intensity...

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Spangled
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Creating intensity...

Post by Spangled » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:35 am

Hey, wondering if anyone has any nifty tips on creating a bit of building intensity on a main riff that you don't really wanna alternate, just want it to seem as if its building. Tried a bit of transposing and a autofilter but only goes up to 8 bars. Any tips on how to build and build a part. any help would be freaking marvelous :D
SWEATY
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by SWEATY » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:18 am

Depending on how you've made the main riff, maybe try:

• Automating the cut off, or
• Automating the release, or
• Automating the cut off and the release together.
• Automating the cut off and the release together plus some eq or autofilter

• Add some delay and automate from dry to wet over a few bars

These suggestions are pretty simple but should be an ok start. I'd have to hear exactly what you're working with and how you're creating your sounds (sampled audio or midi and vst) to give some better advice. A bit of pitch bend always sounds good IMO. Maybe progressively increase some pitch bend in a certain part of the riff over 8 or 16 bars.

There's so many things you can do it's just a matter of playing around and seeing what works best with different settings on your vst or filters.

Good luck and have fun!
Gme
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Gme » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:17 am

-automate dry/wet reverb knob
-beat repeat decreasing grid (my favorite)
-ping pong delaay...remove the sync option then go from 1ms to 100ms while increasing fb and wetness, then go back to around 50ms with loads of fb and wetness (sexy if done properly)
djjd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Creating intensity...

Post by djjd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:11 am

sSavant wrote:Hey, wondering if anyone has any nifty tips on creating a bit of building intensity on a main riff that you don't really wanna alternate, just want it to seem as if its building. Tried a bit of transposing and a autofilter but only goes up to 8 bars. Any tips on how to build and build a part. any help would be freaking marvelous :D
Maybe a synth that compliments the one in the main line - copy the original and then fade one out and one in... can give subtle change but keep the theme going.
Rynooo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Rynooo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 am

Turn up the resonance or boost/bring your high freq's back in if you're using a filter.

Or bosh white noise + filter sweep in the background.
pɐǝp sı sʞɐǝɹq

NOM
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hippy dave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:41 pm

just put a donk on it.
dance your cares away, worries for another day Image
emskina flange wrote:holy calamity boob insanity
Spangled
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Spangled » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:24 pm

:lurve: Thanks so much guys, love getting little tips like these. Really gives me the enthusiasm to go back to the drawing board and fuck about. NICE1. Hopefully in the next few weeks ill have something to show for it. Cheers again guys :D
j hazen
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by j hazen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:41 pm

hippy dave wrote:just put a donk on it.
i just squirted a little bit of water and chewed up pretzel out my nose
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hippy dave » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:55 pm

then my work here is done.
dance your cares away, worries for another day Image
emskina flange wrote:holy calamity boob insanity
djbeatdown
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by djbeatdown » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:48 pm

hippy dave wrote:then my work here is done.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MuhspaceMuh mix
steelo wrote:take moar drugs, keep adding donks/
Spangled
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Spangled » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Gme wrote: -ping pong delaay...remove the sync option then go from 1ms to 100ms while increasing fb and wetness, then go back to around 50ms with loads of fb and wetness (sexy if done properly)
Found this one really fun, worked well with adding a duplicate of the track (with no effects on) underneath where the effect takes place to keep the same rhythm dominent but with the nice delay/echo effect going on. Had to use a utility on the duplicate track to keep the levels right. Will take a lot of tinkering to get it spot on, but sounds good as the mo with a big cymbal noise being reversed and then played with lots of redux where the effect peaks, then drops back into the same melody as before. Nice little edit that! :D

Not too sure how to pull off the beatrepeat one you recommended too tho...
Gme
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Gme » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 pm

sSavant wrote:
Gme wrote: -ping pong delaay...remove the sync option then go from 1ms to 100ms while increasing fb and wetness, then go back to around 50ms with loads of fb and wetness (sexy if done properly)
Found this one really fun, worked well with adding a duplicate of the track (with no effects on) underneath where the effect takes place to keep the same rhythm dominent but with the nice delay/echo effect going on. Had to use a utility on the duplicate track to keep the levels right. Will take a lot of tinkering to get it spot on, but sounds good as the mo with a big cymbal noise being reversed and then played with lots of redux where the effect peaks, then drops back into the same melody as before. Nice little edit that! :D

Just use Beat repeat on a Lead....then to build up...turn the Grid knob smaller while u progress ... i.e. say you started with the grid on 1/2 .. keep giong down till 1/32 for example... and :D
you could do the same to the inervatl knob at the same time as well...makes it even more interesting ...

may i add another tip for intensity:

-fade to grey effect in ableton .... search for it and use it...it's :chin:

:pimp:
Spangled
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Spangled » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:43 am

Nice1 mate! will try...

... but you might have to give me a clue with this fade to grey...

Youtube is no help and google came up with a post where u mentioned it: this one

http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/viewtopi ... 77c83462d5

and this tribe dj eq rack

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/show ... p?t=139007

hmm, any clues? x
The Mitchell
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by The Mitchell » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Gme wrote:
sSavant wrote:

Just use Beat repeat on a Lead....then to build up...turn the Grid knob smaller while u progress ... i.e. say you started with the grid on 1/2 .. keep giong down till 1/32 for example... and :D
you could do the same to the inervatl knob at the same time as well...makes it even more interesting ...

a

-fade to grey effect in ableton .... search for it and use it...it's :chin:

:pimp:
ye tis a good one the fade to grey although it is pretty much as simple as a filter and a delay. not much to it really. i find that increasing drive or bitcrushing over a period of bnars works too. the degradation of the sound is there and evetrything sounds crisp then when you drop it back.
may i add another tip for intensity:
Last edited by The Mitchell on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Mitchell
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by The Mitchell » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:43 pm

sSavant wrote:Nice1 mate! will try...

... but you might have to give me a clue with this fade to grey...

Youtube is no help and google came up with a post where u mentioned it: this one

http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/viewtopi ... 77c83462d5

and this tribe dj eq rack

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/show ... p?t=139007

hmm, any clues? x
its in the baleton presets somewhere .cant remember where now.
Gme
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Gme » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:28 am

dude just go to the effects search bar in ableton and type in Fade to grey then insert it...
it's just ONE macro knob...check wat it does ;)
The_Boombox_Famous
Noob
Noob

Post by The_Boombox_Famous » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:38 pm

I would take away some of the notes in the melody/Riff and then every 8 or 16 bars add more back in. Simple and effective.
Julie-Anne
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Julie-Anne » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Dr. NO wrote:Depending on how you've made the main riff, maybe try:

• Automating the cut off and the release together plus some eq or autofilter
this is sweet, been trying it subtly on a bassline and it lifts it nicely :thumbup: