Getting/Using samples from other media

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

grafite
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Getting/Using samples from other media

Post by grafite » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:00 am

Hey,

I noticed that on Binsters site (http://www.abandonedsheep.com) that under the title of each song he says that he has samples from certain movies, tv shows etc.
I was wondering how you get samples and vocals out of other songs and media to use in your own songs (like binster had) , and how to go about getting them (websites, contacts etc.), or is this a matter of being signed to a record company?

Thanks
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:35 am

He probably uses a program like Audio Hijack (mac) which records off of your soundcard to a file.

It doesn't make thsoe samples royalty free though. But it doesn't really matter to anyone unless you make money or lots of fame from the song.
In which case you'll be sued! =x
Doran
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Doran » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:36 am

yeah.. generally it's use & abuse until you get sued..

there's a good amount of dvd audio rippers that can do the trick pretty easy, google it up. you can also use a program like virtualdub (free) to rip audio from avi files if it's something you downloaded, it writes to .wav
klarky
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by klarky » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:39 am

i still do it the lo tech way, i just play stuff on the pc or play it into the soundcard and just hit record in my sequencer or cool edit
grafite
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by grafite » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:08 am

Ok...so its something that alot of people do?
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:18 am

yes, lots

too many people have forgotten about sampling, and paying attention to this fruitful area!

good thread
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
grafite
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by grafite » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 am

What are some programs that do this or what would be the terms to put into google?
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:38 am

I used to hit record on soundforge and play DVD's/source material but can't do that with my new soundcard :(

I always find that samples add an extra depth to your tune - as the verbs and whatever other fx inherent on the original sample are obviously different sounding to the ones you're using.

However, I'm tring to discipline myself to make as many of the sounds in my tunes as possible before dumping chopped loops in, or other sounds.

It's more hassle programming beats but I think the end result sounds cleaner in many cases.

Nice to sample movies etc though.

So Many times I've been watchin a film and thought "fuck - that's a wicked soundbyte"!

[/waffle]
Binster (AKA Dr.Awkward)
Regular
Regular

Post by Binster (AKA Dr.Awkward) » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Technically, I do it by buying a shit dvd for as cheap as possible (Leprechaun in the Hood cost £1) then I watch that dvd on my laptop, and I record from that program by choosing Wave out mix in my sound mixer settings in windows, and recording in Cool Edit (although Audacity is a free alternative).

On the legality front, I've never had anything released, so I've not made any money, so I've not stolen any earnings. Kind of. If something does get released, I believe it's up to the label to look into getting sample clearance. When I sample, I do big obvious samplings (like in Closed-eyed Astronomy for example) and try to be as creative as possible with it.

Binster
Anti-science
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Anti-science » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:35 am

klarky wrote:i still do it the lo tech way, i just play stuff on the pc or play it into the soundcard and just hit record in my sequencer or cool edit
Yep, cant get much easier than that! :)