PERCS

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

eightrax
Noob
Noob

PERCS

Post by eightrax » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Where can i get a decent sample pack for breaks percussion? and do you have any percussion programming tips?
_ _ _
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by _ _ _ » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:00 pm

aquasky sample pack is good.

in fact most sample packs for any style/genre will usually have some percussive hits or loops in there (unless its called ultimate bass or something like that :roll: )

i like to use recycle then then map out the hits across a keyboard and re play. when i can be bothered
Silas_Greenback
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Silas_Greenback » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:03 pm

Avoid kicks on the 2 & 4 beats..... :lol:

Have a look through the prod forum for tips on Gated snare to get it nice and fat.

Layer up your Kicks, one toppy, one subby and blend them well with EQ.

Get some old break loops and lowpass them and sidechain them to the snare/kick and put them under your programmed drums to get a nice groove.

Don't quantize too heavily or you'll lose some of the natural swing you want to get on your drum track.

Experiment with using different perc instruments.
You cannot get enough Cowbell.
How many people does it take to break the Internet? On June 25, we found out it's just one -- if that one is Michael Jackson.
Coyote
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Coyote » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm

a tip for programming:

slow you beat down to about hip hop pace (assuming your making a 130ish bpm track) and then record your self playing in the perc.

this will make it easyer to get into the grrove and come with some more complex rythms. then speed up the beat back to normal and it should sound propper bo

also a nice foundation to work from is the para diddle (probably spelt wrong), this is a drum roll that drummers use.

it goes like this

left right left left right left right right (use the words par ra did dle for the rythm)

basicaly if you put a high sound under your left hand and a low under your right sound or visa versa you get some nice tribal rythms. but from this foundation ts easy to come up with some nice varations.

finaly don't quantise anything too much
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
breakspeare
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by breakspeare » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:36 pm

in ableton find 8 or so percs you like, stick them in impulse and make 4 different clips with a rhythm that sounds cool. set these clips to trigger off as a group with follow actions in whatever way you like. make sure that for your rhythm you are triggering all notes at once, rather than programming individual ones in at different points.

stick an arpeggiator in front of impulse with the rate set to 1/16 and style to 'random other'. press play - instant variation on your percussion. then copy this track and pan one hard left and one hard right - sounds really cool if you have several similar rhythms triggering off together. then play with lengthening some of your trigger notes so that rather than play one note (if you originally made them 1/16 long) the arp starts triggering new ones at 1/16th intervals, or play with it's rate for new random rhythmic stuffs.

then (if you're feeling dangerous) start putting some beat repeats on each channel for even more fun :badgrin: 8)

i think this works especially well where you choose quite a few sounds which are all very similar (like 8 variations on a roland rim shot sound) because rather than just random percussion it sounds like one instrument with lots of automation on it.

just made a track where the entire rhythm (apart form kick snare and hat) is made of this constantly shifting sound. sounds amazing and i think will make a great basis for live performance.
Eclectrik
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Eclectrik » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Nice trigger tip breaksphere..
Gme
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Gme » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:38 am

breakspeare wrote:in ableton find 8 or so percs you like, stick them in impulse and make 4 different clips with a rhythm that sounds cool. set these clips to trigger off as a group with follow actions in whatever way you like. make sure that for your rhythm you are triggering all notes at once, rather than programming individual ones in at different points.

stick an arpeggiator in front of impulse with the rate set to 1/16 and style to 'random other'. press play - instant variation on your percussion. then copy this track and pan one hard left and one hard right - sounds really cool if you have several similar rhythms triggering off together. then play with lengthening some of your trigger notes so that rather than play one note (if you originally made them 1/16 long) the arp starts triggering new ones at 1/16th intervals, or play with it's rate for new random rhythmic stuffs.

then (if you're feeling dangerous) start putting some beat repeats on each channel for even more fun :badgrin: 8)

i think this works especially well where you choose quite a few sounds which are all very similar (like 8 variations on a roland rim shot sound) because rather than just random percussion it sounds like one instrument with lots of automation on it.

just made a track where the entire rhythm (apart form kick snare and hat) is made of this constantly shifting sound. sounds amazing and i think will make a great basis for live performance.
creative stuff! Nice tips :pimp:
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:54 am

yes that is well good - i doff my cap :winner:
Spangled
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Spangled » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 am

Nice tips! Gonna copy this into a word file 8)
ismist
Noob
Noob

Post by ismist » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:37 pm

ditto that
"we don't accept any theories, we embrace them all"
wet look
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: PERCS

Post by wet look » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:48 am

excellent, i am Mr Hamfist at percussion but maybe not for too much longer

cheers Breakspeare
UH OH, HERE COMES OLD WILLY
Stickybuds~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stickybuds~ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:52 am

Breakspeare you should make a video of you doing that, I dont get what the impulse triggering is all about...
BC Bud N' Breaks make the world shake.

www.stickybuds.com

Http://soundcloud.com/Stickybuds
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re:

Post by BLista » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:33 am

breakspeare wrote:in ableton find 8 or so percs you like, stick them in impulse and make 4 different clips with a rhythm that sounds cool. set these clips to trigger off as a group with follow actions in whatever way you like. make sure that for your rhythm you are triggering all notes at once, rather than programming individual ones in at different points.

We've been doing stuff like this, on all kinds of sound, not just percs. Dr Choc is the master at this fo shizzle

hope fully he will post some mroe to this as he has some excellent techniques
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 am

clearly he didn't want to :lol:
breakspeare
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by breakspeare » Fri May 08, 2009 6:44 pm

Stickybuds - sorry didnt see this post had resurfaced. the point i was trying make (quite badly now i read back on it) is that you only want one sample triggered on a particular point in the measure but you want to randomise which is being triggered: if, for example, you want a perc hit on beat two, put midi notes for all of your samples to be triggered on beat two. the arpeggiator when set on 'random other' will then choose one of these to be triggered at random. the 'other' part of this means that it will go through all of the samples before triggering the same one again - avoids horrible machine gun stuffs. hope this makes sense....
mourinho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re:

Post by mourinho » Fri May 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Silas_greenback wrote:You cannot get enough Cowbell.
It's true I've used muchos cowbell recently.