any tips for when you're layering your Lead bass over your sub?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:09 pm

necty wrote:
BLista™ wrote: funnily enough i'm using the MS-20 in this(soft) and i think i've finally nailed it

Some excellent advice in this thread, proper what this forum's all about
How's the soft MS-20 mate? Apparently you don't need the replica keyboard, but I am tempted. Easy enough to assign controllers without the Korg keyboard?
It's pretty beautiful mate to be honest, I work in FL so assigning is all automatic anyway(just twizzle a knob and then twizzle yer midi controller), but the filters are ace and you can get some lovely results with simple detuning and using the routing matrix a la reason (cables)

pretty intuitive really - you'd pick it up in a flash and according to owners of the real thing that i've spoken to, it's barely different. A truly classy sounding soft synth - -bit of a two trick pony, but thats why i adore it.

you can use it as an FX plug too - also get some nasty distortion routing if you go out via the headphone socket and back in again ;)

Defo recommend it

I'll stick up some proper nice sounds i've got out of it when i get home - it's got lovely depth
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21 pm

I am asking would I would love to have that filter to process any audio in the DAW and cause I am intrigued on its controller. But DV don't see to have the little MS-20 replica. Will check on eBay.
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

Post by afdafsf » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:11 pm

necty wrote:
Anglo Saxon American wrote:
necty wrote:That's what the synth's low pass filter is there for, extra EQ/low pass filter is not necessary.
Not all synths' personal filters are as good as external ones. uknowthat
Adding a filter to a signal, inheretly distorts the phase of the signal (and the more poles the higher the phase distortion).
Phase linear EQs are helping when it comes to that, but they are less than ideal.
Just use a synth that does have great sounding filters to start with. What sets one producer from another is not only knowing how to use his/her tools, but knowing what tools to use for a specific purpose.
If you know what to use (and not to), then in that example, adding another EQ/filter is not only completely unecessary, but best to be avoided.
I hear you, honestly, I do. And your statements have a lot of merit.... I'm only saying what I said because as you know, the rules are not always meant to be followed.

Distortion in it's many shapes and sizes can be pleasing or appalling to the ear - depends on the producer.

Sometimes, accidents produce the coolest/useable results - that's all I was saying to Dean.
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:20 pm

Its nothing to do with following rules.
There are lots of types of distortion. Phase distortion (which what we are talking about in this thread) is one of them and its not something that flatters sound.
It has nothing to do with even harmonic distortion that makes sounds richer by adding even harmonics in the signal.
afdafsf

Post by afdafsf » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Well, judging from what you have laid out in this thread in regards to 'adding a filter' to a synth in a chain - one would think it's going to ruin the sound.

I HARDLY ever use synths dry or ONLY use the synths filters/fx.... because I like the way my other toys make my sounds end up sounding after they get ran through - hope that made sense.

Hell, there's times where I've used more than 10 filters in a row to get something to 'sound the way I envisioned it'. I know that sounds redundant to the point of being brain dead, but shit.... a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do to get the sound he wants... and if that means 'ruining' the phase of the signal, so be it, as long as it "sounds good" - which I think is the cardinal rule anyway... sure you'd agree with that?.....

There are synths based around Phase Distortion so I don't know why you're speaking so ill of it.
Some like the sound - I happen to be one of them. You sound like you don't appreciate the sound, that's cool too.

But you and I can't decide for Dean, he has to play around and figure it out himself.

ya know
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Chr*s wrote: Hell, there's times where I've used more than 10 filters in a row to get something to 'sound the way I envisioned it'. I know that sounds redundant to the point of being brain dead, but shit.... a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do to get the sound he wants... and if that means 'ruining' the phase of the signal, so be it, as long as it "sounds good" - which I think is the cardinal rule anyway... sure you'd agree with that?.....
It does. You are going on a different tangent as to what I suggested in the specific example of using your synth's low pass filter and then it being uneccesary and best to be avoided, adding external low pass filters after it. First of all you could simply add another pole(s) on your synth's filter and since we are talking about low pass filters, humans can't perceive differences when a filter incorporates more than 6 poles. Maybe you are super human and you can hear the difference a 10 pole low pass (remember we are talking about low pass filters here) filter makes
Chr*s wrote: There are synths based around Phase Distortion so I don't know why you're speaking so ill of it.
Some like the sound - I happen to be one of them. You sound like you don't appreciate the sound, that's cool too.

But you and I can't decide for Dean, he has to play around and figure it out himself.

ya know
I know that phase distortion synths manipulate the phase of an incoming signal and yeild completely different results to those of simply adding poles on a low pass filter.
Since you are so hot on phase distortion, can you describe to me what it sounds like Chris?
Last edited by nectarios on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afdafsf

Post by afdafsf » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Honestly, it all sounds about the same to me. ;)
sorry I can't be more descriptive
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:57 pm

Read up on it some time and then come back here and read what you wrote. You'll be amused. :lol:
afdafsf

Post by afdafsf » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:02 pm

willdo
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: any tips for when you're layering your Lead bass over your sub?

Post by BLista » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:22 am

Bump - for bass layering tips and also a classic bit of belligerence from NSBH
DJ Racist Haircut
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DJ Racist Haircut » Fri May 20, 2016 9:41 am

Good job nobody told him filters were invented by black people. He might have lost it completely. ;)

(Good advice, too. This is something I've been looking into of late, as well, trying to get nice subby bass with a tiny bit of squelch on top).
First time I hear your music it punch me in the face.

No need shitstaff, this may bulverse you.
dbdbdb
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by dbdbdb » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:38 pm

:o