Producer Q&A session: SONZ OF MECHA on now till wednesdy

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

BREAKSFM
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:05 pm

Post by BREAKSFM » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:07 am

Breaks related bits I'm listening to daily atm, some have been around a while and some are brand new -

Eskmo - Speaking In Tongues - Mechanoise
Specimen A - Check The Sound - Funkatech
J Hazen - 700ft - Virus B 23
Ooah - Lelly - dub
Hostage - Trap Shack - Hostage Recordings
Tantrum Desire - Drop It Like It's Hot - dnb bootleg
Cereal Killaz - Sheshone - Anti Science remix- Bfm
Luke Envoy - Honour Kill - Hotflush
30hz - No Man's Land - Vertical Sound
Double Negative - Uranium - Neztik rmx - Defbox
White Papoo - Open The Doors E.p - Revolution Music
New Markomen bits on Virus B 23
Junior Hacksaw - virtually everything he has done of late
Si Begg - My Style Vip - Noodles
Neztik - Sonidero - Breakin Even (lovin this label atm)
Various Artists - Wreckin Crew Lp - Mechanoise

Other bits I've been listening to as of late -

Kasabian - both albums are fuckin class
Tipper - The Unspeakable Thingymabob
Lamb - Lamb
Slayer - Rein In Blood
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Various bits by Slipknot
Massive Attack Greatest Hits
Miles Davis rareities cd
Lordz Of The Underground - First lp
Bob James - Nautilus
Artic Monkeys lp
Haduken bits off myspace
Various Mix cd's/demos (yes I do listen to them all)

Alex listens to Kool Fm everyday like it was a religion, unfortunatly I can't pick it up where I'm living atm.

side note - I've been answering the questions as Alex has limited web access at the minute, any opinions expressed are mine as an individual.
DISCLAIMER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BREAKSFM
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:05 pm

Post by BREAKSFM » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:27 am

I couldn't really say I have a favourite break as such, we discover new ones all the time but for out right distinctive big ups it has to be the Apache.

Alex and I have been working on a remix of Roccweiller lately, even when cutting it into tiny little splices you can still tell it's the Apache, just from one snare hit really.

Snacks and drinks? hmm

Shitloads of fruit juice/pg tips, tuna pasta concoctions, home made meatballs, soup, cheese rolls and chocolate.

The work that goes into bass sounds depends on what we are trying to achieve really and also how close the root sound is to what we are trying to transform it into. It's only recently that we have started to make banks of sounds to use over and over again, all our old library is still in akai format so we have started again in many respects.

We have always tried to use different bass sounds in each tune, even the reeses in the early stuff were all different from tune to tune, not just the same sample manipulated in a different way. It was just our way I guess, the early days were very punk/techno inspired ,turn the machines on and lets fuckin have it kinda thing, raw energy bursting to get out.

Obviously as time goes on you mature as a person and as a programmer/writer/producer, technology changes and you move with it to a certain extent. The setup we currently use is a million miles away from our old faithfull back in the day so we are readjusting to some extent (never had so much fun in my life). Now days I find myself paying much more detail to sound sculpture and layers of sounds interweaved to create the whole, rather than one big fuck off bass riff. The wonderful thing about writing electronic music is that there are no rules really and the possibilities are endless, that's the primary reason I'll be writing till the day I die.
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
Posts: 6070
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:25 pm

Post by afdafsf » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:31 pm

BREAKSFM wrote: The wonderful thing about writing electronic music is that there are no rules really and the possibilities are endless, that's the primary reason I'll be writing till the day I die.
so true



I would like to know where you guys are going to be playing in the states...?.....

Anywhere in Texas... Austin maybe? Dallas? Obviously not Houston :lol:


I would LOVE to catch y'alls show - is it a live one or a dj set? (if set, digital, vinyl, mix?)

Thanks :o
soapdodger
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:34 am

Post by soapdodger » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:08 am

How did you come up the the names Sonz of Mecha and Mechanoise?
BREAKSFM
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:05 pm

Post by BREAKSFM » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:54 pm

Mecha = robot or human operated robot in japanese

so noise of the robot put through the blender transforms into Mechanoise, and obviously Sunz of Mecha is self explanatory (alex and I are brothers).
User avatar
ASH HUNT
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 9:16 pm
Location: midlands

Post by ASH HUNT » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:59 am

breaks fm said:

If your using a mainly digital set up then make sure you add warmth in some way.


what do you think is the best way to do this?
DJ, artwork and promo for EARGASM breakbeat events! Search EARGASM on facebook for news on events.

Image
User avatar
rjv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 771
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:19 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Post by rjv » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:46 pm

^^

And also is that analogue-like "warmth" really necessary?

Seems to me like that in breaks and especially in dnb using analogue hardware and sounding "warm" is almost like a fetish and sometimes it seems that sound is coming before the music, while everyone is trying to sound the same.
At least when compared to some other styles of electronic music where the producers don't give a fuck about that, or even try to go for a really nasty digital distortion sound.
rah
BREAKSFM
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:05 pm

Post by BREAKSFM » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:06 am

The dnb sound that we all know and love has anologue warmth all over it, end of story.

Let's not forget that dnb for many many years was akai/emu sampler based coming through an analogue desk.

Also, imo digital distortion sounds like fuckin shit, it's not actual distortion its an over driven signal that doesn'tl give us the aural delights that we love from analogue distorrtion.

To get technical (you went there) digital distortion is a series of binary numbers making a vein effort to recreate the beauty of a valve driven sound. In short it's like comparing the performance of a (hybrid) smart car to an Aston Martin db7.
BREAKSFM
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:05 pm

Post by BREAKSFM » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:11 am

NSBH - I'm stateside atm, playing in NYC next thursday, FSOB and Breakin Tradition at WMC and Binghampton at the end of the month. I'm over on business more than djing this trip but a full tour will follow in july. My girl lives in Brooklyn so I make the trip over the pond as much as possible, key members of the mecha crew are based in the states too so it's like a second home to me (as well as spain of course).
BREAKSFM
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:05 pm

Post by BREAKSFM » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:14 am

NSBH - why not Houston?
User avatar
Anti-science
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 2143
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Anti-science » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey, how did I miss this?! :)

Big up Jody and Alex! I have 37 questions for you but I will save them till I see you on AIM ;)

Hope your enjoying the U-S of A.

Later Rons,
Ant.
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
Posts: 6070
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:25 pm

Post by afdafsf » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:30 pm

BREAKSFM wrote:NSBH - I'm stateside atm, playing in NYC next thursday, FSOB and Breakin Tradition at WMC and Binghampton at the end of the month. I'm over on business more than djing this trip but a full tour will follow in july. My girl lives in Brooklyn so I make the trip over the pond as much as possible, key members of the mecha crew are based in the states too so it's like a second home to me (as well as spain of course).
Interesting, thks for the info.

I didn't picture you coming to Houston because Houston doesn't know what Breaks is for the most part. Bassnectar is going to be here this weekend! (first name I've seen come through the city since last Sept)

I think it'd be awesome to see you play of course, but who knows if 50 people would show up even... that's how lame this city is.

If you wanna play rap though, you can play just about anywhere on anynight at anytime. :lol:


:cry:



Please lemme know if you're ever gonna make it out to Texas - I'd drive to Dallas or Austin to see you.
zarbizarre
Regular
Regular
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:38 am
Location: Baltimore

Post by zarbizarre » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:34 pm

nuskoolbreaks_head wrote:
BREAKSFM wrote:NSBH - I'm stateside atm, playing in NYC next thursday, FSOB and Breakin Tradition at WMC and Binghampton at the end of the month. I'm over on business more than djing this trip but a full tour will follow in july. My girl lives in Brooklyn so I make the trip over the pond as much as possible, key members of the mecha crew are based in the states too so it's like a second home to me (as well as spain of course).
Interesting, thks for the info.

I didn't picture you coming to Houston because Houston doesn't know what Breaks is for the most part. Bassnectar is going to be here this weekend! (first name I've seen come through the city since last Sept)

I think it'd be awesome to see you play of course, but who knows if 50 people would show up even... that's how lame this city is.

If you wanna play rap though, you can play just about anywhere on anynight at anytime. :lol:


:cry:



Please lemme know if you're ever gonna make it out to Texas - I'd drive to Dallas or Austin to see you.



houston is all about the sizzurp slowed down hip hop innit?
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
Posts: 6070
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:25 pm

Post by afdafsf » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 pm

yuppers




Congrats on your #6 thingy at Breakspoll, Alan! I'm happy for you and Kostek - keep on jammin. Heard you're "getting bored of breaks though" :lol:

Mess around with that Industrial - it'll peak your interest once more.
8)
Post Reply