Mixdown secrets....... and hot tips

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue May 16, 2006 5:09 pm

hutson wrote: ----------
Take breaks every 45 minutes... listen to low level pink noise... walk around... get some air... do whatever 'resets' you.
----------
and stuff
What's this all about then Hutson? very interested - is this some kind of "brain clearer" - one thing I'm terrible at is gettin sucked into the mix i'm doin and not taking respite/rest, meaning i can't be objective and end up with a weird ass mix
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Tue May 16, 2006 5:09 pm

JoeBot wrote:ther are some great ideas in this thread

and some truly terreible ones
elaborate Joe no-one's going to know otherwise.......
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Anti-science
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Anti-science » Tue May 16, 2006 5:11 pm

Always ends up with compresion!

And that lead to depression!
Anti-science
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Anti-science » Tue May 16, 2006 5:12 pm

This post is a fine example of why music is so intresting. Different people have different ways of basically doing the same thing.

Lets make an Music Appreciation' thread!

I love you guys ;)
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

Post by afdafsf » Tue May 16, 2006 5:16 pm

youthful_implants wrote:
JoeBot wrote:ther are some great ideas in this thread

and some truly terreible ones
elaborate Joe no-one's going to know otherwise.......
2nded
mambo dave
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by mambo dave » Tue May 16, 2006 5:19 pm

nuskoolbreaks_head wrote:There are plenty of 4on4 tracks that use S. comp incorrectly.....
depends how you define 'incorrectly'.. i really like the sucking/pumping feeling you get with over the top side chaining.

agreed sometimes is does sound shit and can drain all the musicality out of a track but on 4/4 kicks i like it...
Joebot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Joebot » Tue May 16, 2006 5:21 pm

i will later when i have a chance

but i dont wanna get bummed/burned by some of you lot ;)
Image clicky clicky

Spectrum : Resident
Supatronix Records : Director
---out now---
Depeche Mode - Hole To Feed (Joebot Remix) [Mute]
J*O*K*R - On Point (Joebot Remix) [Dusted Breaks]
Future Funk Squad - RaveUlator (Joebot Remix) [en:vision]
Erasure - Heart of Stone (Joebots 'Ounce of Bounce' Remix) [Mute]
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 pm

Anti-science wrote:This post is a fine example of why music is so intresting. Different people have different ways of basically doing the same thing.

I love you guys ;)
Cracking point.
I for one absolutely love all the opinion/arguments/nuggets of wisdom on here - I cannot imagine how far back I'd be had i not had the use of this forum and shared ideas/experiences/techy knowledge with the users on here. There are the obvious stupid situations where arguments happen but we're all here for the same reason and that's what makes it so fucking magic.

I reckon the one thing I love the most, is learning somethin new, using it (badly) then realising that subtlety is the key. it takes many mistakes to realise, but that's when you REALLY learn something - it's not having the knowledge, it's knowing how little to apply to get the effect you want.

EQ is my main bugbear and i've constantly been frustrated by it, but i'm actually beginning to enjoy using EQ - which means i must be gaining a basic understanding of it - and that for me is incredibly exciting as it's the difference between making an average tune and making something worth listening to, which gets you going.

I also love you all. :lurve:
Binster (AKA Dr.Awkward)
Regular
Regular

Post by Binster (AKA Dr.Awkward) » Tue May 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Tarekith wrote:- If you're the type who sets up your miwdown as you write the tune, try something different. Once the tune is done and you're happy with it, export your final mix as you normally would. Then, reset the entier mixer (real or virtual), get rid of all plug ins, pull all faders to 0, and try mixing the tune again after a couple days away. 9 times out of 10 you'll like the second mixdwon better.
I like that idea. I'll try that in future. :)

Plus Damo's kick idea. I'm having trouble making drum sounds at the mo which work (as in, which RenegadeUK don't consider to be rubbish ;) ) so that might help...
Anti-science
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Anti-science » Tue May 16, 2006 5:30 pm

B-Listah wrote:
Anti-science wrote:This post is a fine example of why music is so intresting. Different people have different ways of basically doing the same thing.

I love you guys ;)
Cracking point.
I for one absolutely love all the opinion/arguments/nuggets of wisdom on here - I cannot imagine how far back I'd be had i not had the use of this forum and shared ideas/experiences/techy knowledge with the users on here. There are the obvious stupid situations where arguments happen but we're all here for the same reason and that's what makes it so fucking magic.

I reckon the one thing I love the most, is learning somethin new, using it (badly) then realising that subtlety is the key. it takes many mistakes to realise, but that's when you REALLY learn something - it's not having the knowledge, it's knowing how little to apply to get the effect you want.

EQ is my main bugbear and i've constantly been frustrated by it, but i'm actually beginning to enjoy using EQ - which means i must be gaining a basic understanding of it - and that for me is incredibly exciting as it's the difference between making an average tune and making something worth listening to, which gets you going.

What you having trouble with eq for mate?
afdafsf

Post by afdafsf » Tue May 16, 2006 5:56 pm

mambo dave wrote:
nuskoolbreaks_head wrote:There are plenty of 4on4 tracks that use S. comp incorrectly.....
depends how you define 'incorrectly'.. i really like the sucking/pumping feeling you get with over the top side chaining.

agreed sometimes is does sound shit and can drain all the musicality out of a track but on 4/4 kicks i like it...
:? - That's exactly the type of stuff I'm talking about..... I can't stand it... those kinda tracks sound way too whooshy for the most part.

It all depends on the track I guess - some sound good/some not so good...
soapdodger
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by soapdodger » Tue May 16, 2006 6:10 pm

use headphones to mix sub bass,
mambo dave
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by mambo dave » Tue May 16, 2006 6:20 pm

WHAT!? ^^^^^ :O

am i being a knob and taking you seriously? :oops:
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue May 16, 2006 6:33 pm

Anti-science wrote:
B-Listah wrote:

I love you guys ;)
Cracking point.

What you having trouble with eq for mate?
More on the main mix than on tracking - my mixdown EQ'ing - but i think it's partly the acoustics in my room - hence the stupid but absolutely true post earlier about pillows & duvets.

It's been a cunt, but i'm learning what to use to get rid of what etc etc..
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Tue May 16, 2006 6:46 pm

i don't think that i can labour this point enough, but....

write a fucking tune. don't sit pissing around with 2 or 3 db of eq cut or cocking around with compression.

write the fucking tune. concentrate on the music and leave mixing it down till the end. stick on your crazy effects to get the sound you want, definately, but don't sit letting your creativity go cold while you grapple with shit.

to aid this, spend time making sounds not tunes. that way you'll have a palatte to draw on when ideas come knocking and you don't have to waste your time creating something.

doing this will pretty much every time yield a better result.

let's face it, at the end of the day it's about music, not which compressor you used.
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
Steve Velocity
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Steve Velocity » Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 pm

shapshankly wrote: write the fucking tune. concentrate on the music and leave mixing it down till the end. stick on your crazy effects to get the sound you want, definately, but don't sit letting your creativity go cold while you grapple with shit.

let's face it, at the end of the day it's about music, not which compressor you used.
Preach it brother!

I'm glad someone said it. When I have an idea, I NEED TO DO IT NOW. No mucking around with mixing, EQ'ing, fx, etc until I have my idea down. So many times I've missed out on what I thought was a good idea because I got so caught up in EQ'ing, or even finding the right sound. Idea for a melody? Write it. Idea for a sound? Make it. Straight up.

Steve
http://www.myspace.com/stevevelocity
http://www.facebook.com/stevevelocity

Big Fish Recordings - Audio Planet Recordings - Epidemic Recordings - Badbwoy Bass Recordings -
soapdodger
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by soapdodger » Tue May 16, 2006 7:33 pm

mambo dave wrote:WHAT!? ^^^^^ :O

am i being a knob and taking you seriously? :oops:

yeah mate, once you get into listening to sub rather than feeling it.

most buget monitors roll off a 60-55 hertz. Headphones go much lower.

60hz is the upper en of sub bass, all the action is from 50-20hz.
Anti-science
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Anti-science » Tue May 16, 2006 8:36 pm

shapshankly wrote:i don't think that i can labour this point enough, but....

write a fucking tune. don't sit pissing around with 2 or 3 db of eq cut or cocking around with compression.

write the fucking tune. concentrate on the music and leave mixing it down till the end. stick on your crazy effects to get the sound you want, definately, but don't sit letting your creativity go cold while you grapple with shit.

to aid this, spend time making sounds not tunes. that way you'll have a palatte to draw on when ideas come knocking and you don't have to waste your time creating something.

doing this will pretty much every time yield a better result.

Yes this is true. I was going to say it but if you read the title this is a Mixdown and tips thread! Wheres your???

:lol:
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 16, 2006 9:03 pm

soapdodger wrote: most buget monitors roll off a 60-55 hertz. Headphones go much lower.

Could you recommend me some headphones that go down to 20-50Hz please?
InnerPortalStudio.com Electronic Music Mastering & Mixdowns. Click for details!
Anti-science
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Anti-science » Tue May 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:
soapdodger wrote: most buget monitors roll off a 60-55 hertz. Headphones go much lower.

Could you recommend me some headphones that go down to 20-50Hz please?
What was that? I can't hear you!!!!!

*The sub frequency's have blown my ears!