where do i get good drum sounds?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:24 pm

I'm like DustRed, I layer a synthetic kick for he oomph, with a sample of real kick to provide the attack and character. Snares I tend to just try and find quality samples right from the get go and just use that. Sometimes you can layer a clap with a snnare to give it more crack too.

If you layer a lot of drums, I find it's less likely to need compression too. Especially if those samples came from records or other mastered recordings.
InnerPortalStudio.com Electronic Music Mastering & Mixdowns. Click for details!
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:55 pm

steelz wrote:personally i would bother doubling up on everything. takes too long. faze issues. fills up the mix (sometimes/most times unwanted)

just find a dam good kick and snare in the first place.
depends how you work i think, doubling up your drum tracks doesn't take long at all to do and i get some pretty good results by heavily compressing one of them and mixing it in with the other un-effected drum track til it sounds right. also i like drums that fill the mix up, although again it depends on what you're trying to write whether this is unwanted or not :)

defo agree with taking the time to find shit hot samples in the first place though...
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:28 pm

To save time, I export all of my layered samples once I have the mix dialed when I'm done with the track. So once the mix is done with all EQ and comp (if any), I'll export the BD and Snare as single hit samples. These typically get loaded into my Machinedrum at this point for use in the future. I don't mind reusing these as long as they sound good.
InnerPortalStudio.com Electronic Music Mastering & Mixdowns. Click for details!
mambo dave
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by mambo dave » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:15 pm

soapdodger wrote:the 909 kick drum is the kiddie for punch. It has all the right freqs in the right places.
all about the 909's kick and snare.

layering kicks is definately gonna cause trouble when you layer them because of the low freqs involved, but imo if you cut out the bass on one of them then you can get it to punch through the mix pretty nice.

i always layer my snares though, just sounds too simple otherwise.
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:25 pm

Don't forget distortion plugs!

a lil over drive can make your KD feel better than wearing women's lingerie..

=/
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hippy dave » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:28 am

dunno if anyone else uses fruity, but i was making my snare a fuckload beefier earlier by turning on "fat mode", cranking the number of 'echoes' up to 10, pitch down 240 (2 octaves), fiddle with the other parameters - low time, feedback, but just play with everything really...
Sleazy E
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Sleazy E » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:35 am

i pretty much always have the 808 or some other good crackin clap behind two or three snares... real low but it gives it a nice sounding end... a lil reverb that you don't have to put in..... other than that find quality samples.... but obviously no one is going to tell you where these samples are.....
Joebot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Joebot » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 am

sample the plumps
Image clicky clicky

Spectrum : Resident
Supatronix Records : Director
---out now---
Depeche Mode - Hole To Feed (Joebot Remix) [Mute]
J*O*K*R - On Point (Joebot Remix) [Dusted Breaks]
Future Funk Squad - RaveUlator (Joebot Remix) [en:vision]
Erasure - Heart of Stone (Joebots 'Ounce of Bounce' Remix) [Mute]
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hippy dave » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:26 pm

in soviet russia, the plumps sample you...
dance your cares away, worries for another day Image
emskina flange wrote:holy calamity boob insanity
Ben_Jammin
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Ben_Jammin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:38 pm

yeah, i've taken to putting an 808 behind pretty much everything. usually works like a charm- instant phatness! :bo:

beware tho- sometimes sounds like a turd, and when the rest of the track also sounds like a turd that's a baaaad thing! :cry: I find the best way of telling if you've got phasing or some other nastiness is to listen to the 2 half-decent kicks you had already- if the layered one sounds shitter you've got phasing!

couldn't agree more on using good samples to begin with- less fucking around and more time writing a choon! :D
LISTEN TO NSB
The Electropic session with Lena and Bassline Ben: Thursdays 3-5pm

LISTEN TO THIS:

Oscillate - Bit Tart

I made it and you can have it if you want it.
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:36 pm

Fully with all the advice on here..

Another tip is to open any drum samples you really like in a wav editor.

Make sure they all start at the attack... if not you'll have to monkey with phase inversion, or if you use redrum sample start times..

Better to just fix the wave sample and save it over the old one.

I'm always suprised by how many Kick and Snare samples start 10's of Milliseconds before the hit.

Another thing, this might sound strange...
But getting your drum sounds to sit right in a mix can be hard sometime.
Getting them loud enough without peaking your mix is a bitch.

Sometimes you can invert the Phase on your entire drum kit
I.E. buss all your drum sounds to one fader, Inver the phase, and see if it helps your mix to keep from peaking.

on a side note... this might give you more peaks...

It all depends on the phase relationship between the frequencies present in your mix. Additive vs. subtractive phase.
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Fri May 05, 2006 8:11 pm

This has been covered already by the posts here, but just to run down my own approach:

* get some snare sounds from other tunes (breaks/funk/anything) and some sounds from drum machines (old/new/software)

* If layering make sure they sound good and solid! try moving one of the samples along a bit to get it in phase, and maybe change the pitch of one sample so they sit together better

* Once you get the drums sounding good in the context of your tune, resample them with any effect (reverb/compression/etc) and then you have something nice to work with straight off for your next tune
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Sat May 06, 2006 9:53 am

Layering a 60 or 80hz sine wave under your KD isn't too shabby either.
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Sat May 06, 2006 2:19 pm

/\ thats a good one.

for those unsure, use a sin generating synth and put a noise gate over it that is side chained to the kick drum.

fiddle with the threshold and release settings till it sounds good IN THE TUNE (not by itself).

Then resample for later joy
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
blimbo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by blimbo » Sat May 06, 2006 2:49 pm

I have the megadrums kits which I got from somewhere, they're fantastic. Lots of kicks are pretty much ready to go out of the box.
moss
Noob
Noob

Post by moss » Sat May 06, 2006 10:18 pm

try to put a click on your bass drum...cut it from clap for example....then try to layer a bass kick and u can cut the attack from the second bassy kick...compress...resample...