nuggets of wisdom

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

User avatar
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 21808
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:10 pm
Location: Trollpatrol

Post by El Huracan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:22 pm

yeah itsthe second bit i have trouble with
User avatar
Hedflux
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Norwich

Post by Hedflux » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:28 pm

haha - thats the bit everyone has trouble with! :lol:

Creativity can be obsessive by nature, sometimes its hard to think of anything else, when all you want to do is create. An artistic girl would probably understand this.

Attention seeking skanks on the otherhand, they'll never get it ...
User avatar
Tarekith
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4511
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by Tarekith » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:53 pm

This is why DJ hoes are to be avoided at all costs.
InnerPortalStudio.com Electronic Music Mastering & Mixdowns. Click for details!
User avatar
MrShhh
Noob
Noob
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Northamptonshire "Rose of The Shires"
Contact:

Post by MrShhh » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:45 pm

Something I wish I knew 4 years ago:

Stay on top of your "house keeping" and remove unwanted frequencies from your sounds.
Anything except kick and bass can be cut below 100Hz, maybe more depending on the sound.

Also the region around 200Hz sounds muddy as hell in 95% of anything I've ever recorded so I tend to dip out here as well

Doing this is easy and makes the mix clearer and fatter :!:
User avatar
Iknowuknow
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:23 am
Location: Tin bucket with goldfish

Post by Iknowuknow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:00 pm

Tarekith wrote:Better yet, find a girl who writes music too. I can't imagine living with someone who doesn't :)

Love my wife...
I Hate You ;)
User avatar
Iknowuknow
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:23 am
Location: Tin bucket with goldfish

Post by Iknowuknow » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Hedflux wrote:A good woman will support you and help you make better music! And all you have to do in return is take a break from it and be nice once in a while ...
that is just silly...women are never happy we all know that...if they we're we would all delight in talking about the savings we made at tescos this week...and never smell our fingers
User avatar
S!mtekakaPlucking Skanker
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 2288
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:35 pm
Location: london

Post by S!mtekakaPlucking Skanker » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:53 pm

only buy what you need and not what you want cos it seems like a good idea at the time!
my space
d-tuned my space

17/11-Lobotomy "Templars" (Nottingham)
23/11-Synergy Project "SE One" (London)
24/11-Walrus "Blueprint" (Nottingham)
12/12-Wrong Music "Volks" (Brighton)
User avatar
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 25192
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: technaux
Contact:

Post by alex_virr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:31 pm

1. if you ask the right questions you will improve far more quickly. use other peoples' unsolicited advice extremely selectively, like this. :lol:

2. try not to agonise over what you can't do and concentrate on what you can - if it aint fun, it aint worth it and your music will reflect that.

3. Ignore the rules or 'maths - (er, ghey)' until you've learnt how to write music your way - then start to worry about how to make it sound good. Or do what I do and get a professional to mix it down for you - money well spent and lots of people do it.

4. remember anything goes, fuck what anyone else is doing because as steelz says you'll never make a living out of it so write stuff that you believe in.

5. its got to be 'running' if you expect people to dance to it. ;)
Strontium Music

Image

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
User avatar
Ben_Jammin
Regular Reader
Regular Reader
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:58 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Post by Ben_Jammin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:40 pm

1. talk to other people who know more about it than you do (mr implants said it already, but its the most important one so i'm saying it again).

2. Make sure that they actually know what they're talking about ;)

3. don't be afraid to put your tunes up to be ripped apart- all part of the learning experience, and you can always tell yourself that other people's opinions are a load of shit anyway!

and i still need to buy some monitors, and a computer that can actually handle making music. next week's lottery numbers please!
LISTEN TO NSB
Image
The Electropic session with Lena and Bassline Ben: Thursdays 3-5pm

LISTEN TO THIS:

Oscillate - Bit Tart

I made it and you can have it if you want it.
User avatar
Hedflux
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Norwich

Post by Hedflux » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:50 pm

youthful_implants wrote:
3. Ignore the rules or 'maths - (er, ghey)' until you've learnt how to write music your way - then start to worry about how to make it sound good. Or do what I do and get a professional to mix it down for you - money well spent and lots of people do it.
what a crock of shit :lol:

you'll save yourself a hell of a lot of time learning how to write music, than trying to figure it all out for yourself.
User avatar
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 21808
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:10 pm
Location: Trollpatrol

Post by El Huracan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:55 pm

youthful_implants wrote:
4. remember anything goes, fuck what anyone else is doing because as steelz says you'll never make a living out of it so write stuff that you believe in.
belive it or not there is an element of truth in this (even if does mention me and i talk complete arse)
User avatar
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 25192
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: technaux
Contact:

Post by alex_virr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Hedflux wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:
3. Ignore the rules or 'maths - (er, ghey)' until you've learnt how to write music your way - then start to worry about how to make it sound good. Or do what I do and get a professional to mix it down for you - money well spent and lots of people do it.
what a crock of shit :lol:

you'll save yourself a hell of a lot of time learning how to write music, than trying to figure it all out for yourself.
sorry hedflux would you care to share the 'mathematical' equation that = the generic sound of bassline breaks please - cos I'd really like to know. ;)

learning scales is one thing - equating music to maths takes the fun out of it IMHO. :p

and can you explain how that relates to modal forms too?
Strontium Music

Image

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
User avatar
shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3907
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: Nottingham Breaks City
Contact:

Post by shapshankly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:59 am

music is maths. whatever way you look at it

"yeah man, put that hi hat in 1/16ths dawg"

need i go on.
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

Image

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
User avatar
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 12147
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:17 am
Location: bong
Contact:

Post by Walter Odington » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:23 am

youthful_implants wrote:learning scales is one thing - equating music to maths takes the fun out of it IMHO. :p

and can you explain how that relates to modal forms too?

maths is fun - only boring application makes it dull.


12 tone modes use frequency ratios within a prime limit of 5, grouping the varying ratios acording to predefined sequences (ie 1-1-2-1-1-2-1). This mathematically derived grouping just so happens to coincide with interesting patterns in dissonance co-efficients of the ratio groups. Could also be described as flavours.

:p
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
User avatar
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 30453
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:11 pm
Location: the illusion of confusion

Post by hippy dave » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:32 am

Image

+
Walter Odington wrote:12 tone modes use frequency ratios within a prime limit of 5, grouping the varying ratios acording to predefined sequences (ie 1-1-2-1-1-2-1). This mathematically derived grouping just so happens to coincide with interesting patterns in dissonance co-efficients of the ratio groups. Could also be described as flavours.
=

:?: :?: :?:





;) :lol:
User avatar
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 25192
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: technaux
Contact:

Post by alex_virr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:29 am

Walter Odington wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:learning scales is one thing - equating music to maths takes the fun out of it IMHO. :p

and can you explain how that relates to modal forms too?

maths is fun - only boring application makes it dull.


12 tone modes use frequency ratios within a prime limit of 5, grouping the varying ratios acording to predefined sequences (ie 1-1-2-1-1-2-1). This mathematically derived grouping just so happens to coincide with interesting patterns in dissonance co-efficients of the ratio groups. Could also be described as flavours.

:p
thanks for explaing that joe its truly fascinating :sleepy yawn: ;)

it's not rocket science, its breakbeat moite!!! :lol:
Strontium Music

Image

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
User avatar
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 12147
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:17 am
Location: bong
Contact:

Post by Walter Odington » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 am

aye, but I think that there is something to be said for understanding the science.

I think we all like the science to a degree, for example understanding synths.


No amount of scientific understanding will replace the ability to compose a vibrant piece of music, but I have a paranoid persons drive to rationalise everything :D


now get on over here and cast an opinion /hijack
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
User avatar
Hedflux
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Norwich

Post by Hedflux » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:01 am

maths is not to be feared. If it wasn't for maths there wouldnt be any synths at all! And most old classical compositions were made according to mathematical rules, whether the composer was aware of it or not. Calling it "Ghey" is just plain ignorance :)

But I think we're getting our wires crossed here though... perception of music is not mathematical, like the feelings we get when hearing it, nor is the human expression that is put into it (which is part of a feedback loop from our perception). This aspect of music is truly magical.

But, rhythmical structures are mathemical, chords are mathematical, how one tone relates to another is mathemtical - hell, the fact that you can use software to make music, is proof that its mathematical!!!

What you are doing is expressing yourself within a mathemtical framework. understanding that framework will vastly broaden your scope for creativity, which would otherwise be limited to what you can imagine. But you also need to *feel* the music - knowing the science wont make you feel the music, and vice versa.
User avatar
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 25192
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: technaux
Contact:

Post by alex_virr » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 am

Hedflux wrote:maths is not to be feared. If it wasn't for maths there wouldnt be any synths at all! And most old classical compositions were made according to mathematical rules, whether the composer was aware of it or not. Calling it "Ghey" is just plain ignorance :)

But I think we're getting our wires crossed here though... perception of music is not mathematical, like the feelings we get when hearing it, nor is the human expression that is put into it (which is part of a feedback loop from our perception). This aspect of music is truly magical.

But, rhythmical structures are mathemical, chords are mathematical, how one tone relates to another is mathemtical - hell, the fact that you can use software to make music, is proof that its mathematical!!!

What you are doing is expressing yourself within a mathemtical framework. understanding that framework will vastly broaden your scope for creativity, which would otherwise be limited to what you can imagine. But you also need to *feel* the music - knowing the science wont make you feel the music, and vice versa.
yeah that was my point really. s'all good I think telling noobs to the game they need to understand the science of it all is a bit daunting.

I've heard loads of tunes done with no semblance of 'how' with such a strong, convincing and sympathetic sense of 'why' that I could never fully believe that knowing all that shit makes you a better musician. Likewise I hear well produced tracks that lack soul and inspiration and are just totally bland.
Strontium Music

Image

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey
Posts: 6070
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:25 pm

Post by afdafsf » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:42 am

Hedflux wrote: What you are doing is expressing yourself within a mathemtical framework. understanding that framework will vastly broaden your scope for creativity, which would otherwise be limited to what you can imagine.

can I get a sample of you saying this please
:p
Post Reply