nuggets of wisdom

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Fri May 05, 2006 3:20 pm

Don't use stereo spreaders. Record more than once and pan instead.
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri May 05, 2006 3:35 pm

nec wrote:Don't use stereo spreaders. Record more than once and pan instead.
I may be thick, but won't this cause phasing issues?
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Fri May 05, 2006 3:43 pm

If its one VCO that you've recorded twice and spread left and right, you will have phasing issues when your tunes get played on a mono PA/some radio stations. If its more than one oscillator, you'll be fine.
Stereo imagers (the ones I've used anyway) reverse the phase of certain frequency bands. When you monofy the mix, you kiss goodbuy to whatever element you've applied the spreader.
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri May 05, 2006 3:47 pm

nec wrote:If its one VCO that you've recorded twice and spread left and right, you will have phasing issues when your tunes get played on a mono PA/some radio stations. If its more than one oscillator, you'll be fine.
Stereo imagers (the ones I've used anyway) reverse the phase of certain frequency bands. When you monofy the mix, you kiss goodbuy to whatever element you've applied the spreader.
Ahh ok, so either 2 xosc if it's a synth generated sound, or slightly offset the sounds (a 32nd or whuteva) to prevent this?
Ben
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Ben » Fri May 05, 2006 3:49 pm

Always use a a tray/book/CD case to skin up on or your mouse will stop working after a while.
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Fri May 05, 2006 3:52 pm

B-Lister wrote:
nec wrote:If its one VCO that you've recorded twice and spread left and right, you will have phasing issues when your tunes get played on a mono PA/some radio stations. If its more than one oscillator, you'll be fine.
Ahh ok, so either 2 xosc if it's a synth generated sound, or slightly offset the sounds (a 32nd or whuteva) to prevent this?
Provided the oscillators are running free, yes. Of setting would do it too (much less than a 32 though). When I record guitars and play the lick twice, I get no probs and the slight deviation in time when playing, provides and nice stereo image.
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Fri May 05, 2006 4:01 pm

Ben wrote:Always use a a tray/book/CD case to skin up on or your mouse will stop working after a while.
:lol:

word.
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri May 05, 2006 4:12 pm

nec wrote:
B-Lister wrote:
Provided the oscillators are running free, yes. Of setting would do it too (much less than a 32 though). When I record guitars and play the lick twice, I get no probs and the slight deviation in time when playing, provides and nice stereo image.
Thnx Nec - phasing was a complete mystery to me but it's beginning to piece together recently.
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:15 pm

just bumping this cos i like it - n00bs please add to it 8)

if you could go back to the start of your production 'career' and tell yourself a few things, what would they be?
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:19 pm

top find foxy 8)
hippy dave
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hippy dave » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:21 pm

james fox wrote:if you could go back to the start of your production 'career' and tell yourself a few things, what would they be?
"just fucking get on with it you lazy cunt"
dance your cares away, worries for another day Image
emskina flange wrote:holy calamity boob insanity
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:29 pm

james fox wrote: if you could go back to the start of your production 'career' and tell yourself a few things, what would they be?
However much Compression, Reverb, distortion, delay, phaser, flanger, EQ, or limit you were thinking of applying..... divide it by 3 and use that much instead. then tweak from there. It'll sound better at the end.
Coyote
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Coyote » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:02 pm

james fox wrote: if you could go back to the start of your production 'career' and tell yourself a few things, what would they be?
Don't do it, stick to DJing its easyer and less geeky

or treat your effects like spices in cooking. just add little sprinkles don't pour the whole jar in. it'll taste nicer.
also when you add an effect close your eyes and and tern the effect on and off again to see which sounds best. (I s'pose you could liken this to tasting your food to keep the analogy alive)
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
soapdodger
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by soapdodger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:06 pm

in fact, close your eyes as much as possible, your brain directs more attention to your hearing when u do this. Ever noticed the TV gets louder when you turn of the lights?
The music business is a cruel and mallow honey stench, a mong spastic hallway where sieves and plumps bum free, and good dogs die like men. There's also a vegative side.

Munter S. Thompson
superbrew
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by superbrew » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:23 pm

I'll chip in with a couple:

1) Make a template which includes your go to vst's & effects. Also include sends, bus's, all routing etc.

Basicaly get organised from the off and you wont get in a mess - Took me around a year before I made my own and as your template develops so does your sound.

2) High pass your send effects