Why Did I Buy Abelton Live?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

shapshankly
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shapshankly » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:24 am

dopamine wrote:
shapshankly wrote:ignorance is bliss.

dopamine has the best idea.

i'm fucked because i rely on raw talent to make music and the tools are incidental. just use what works best for you.

i would hazard a guess that most of the people that make good music work in the same way.
Did you just call me ignorant? ;)
:lol: no.

note to self, must re-learn how to write.
Sir Shap Shankly (esq)
Myspace here

"You know what you're doing with a knob" - Merka 2007
Breaka
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Breaka » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:48 pm

nuskoolbreaks_head wrote:Do you know anything about sequencing breaka???
Yeah, I've released stuff thats done alright and I'm studying a degree in Creative Music Tech. Mate everything else I use I'm cool with, but thats cause I have some kind of specific use for everything. You know, Logic for sequencing using Battery for Drums, Phatmatik for slicing, Reaktor for synths ect.. Thats it though, I dont see anything in Live that you cant do 100 times better in Logic, other than instantly time-locking a loop. I dont really see how that warrants £250. Nor do I see how hitting play on a few loops is that revolutionary or that 'live' either.

It's so frustraighting cause I do sit there, totally blank screen with Live and make a genuine attempt to do somthing with it (bareing in mind I use Logic for sequencing), but within 15 minutes I'm stuck with a few loops and some effects.

You know what though, hush my mouth, I dont want to stir the 'Pro Live' hornets nest. Each to their own, I just do see how Live is as great as everyone says it its.
Last edited by Breaka on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splashmash
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Splashmash » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:15 pm

Breaka wrote:Nor do I see how hitting play on a few loops is that revolutionary or that 'live' either.
To be honest it sounds like live probably isn't for you. But if you were to choose to persevere with it then you need to think outside the box a little.

That said, if Logic etc already does everything you need then you don't really need Live too.
dopamine
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dopamine » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:54 pm

Breaka wrote:
nuskoolbreaks_head wrote:Do you know anything about sequencing breaka???
Yeah, I've released stuff thats done alright and I'm studying a degree in Creative Music Tech. Mate everything else I use I'm cool with, but thats cause I have some kind of specific use for everything. You know, Logic for sequencing using Battery for Drums, Phatmatik for slicing, Reaktor for synths ect.. Thats it though, I dont see anything in Live that you cant do 100 times better in Logic, other than instantly time-locking a loop. I dont really see how that warrants £250. Nor do I see how hitting play on a few loops is that revolutionary or that 'live' either.

It's so frustraighting cause I do sit there, totally blank screen with Live and make a genuine attempt to do somthing with it (bareing in mind I use Logic for sequencing), but within 15 minutes I'm stuck with a few loops and some effects.

You know what though, hush my mouth, I dont want to stir the 'Pro Live' hornets nest. Each to their own, I just do see how Live is as great as everyone says it its.
Have you tried actually learning it rather than just sitting there with a blank screen loading a few loops and adding a few effects? It does sequencing too and has a few nifty midi features (hell even I know this and I dont use it). Surely if it can do a fair whack of tasks that logic can do and it's 1/2 the price that's not to be scoffed at?
afdafsf
nuskoolbreaks_head is a knobjockey

Post by afdafsf » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:02 am

I don't know what to tell you Breaka. If you can't be creative chopping up audio in general, then ................

That's all this music is about anyway.

shiftcrack - if you'd read the thread, you would have seen where I described using arrangement view the way you mentioned

That's what arrangement view is for.

There's a world of sound to be had in there, but if you can't come up with anything, then I guess it just wasn't meant to be for ju.
The Gooch
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by The Gooch » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:11 pm

Deft wrote:It's not amazing for chopping up breaks really
You what?!
Its absolutley amazing for cutting up beats and breaks! Sooo much quicker and simpler than Cubase and Logic.
afdafsf

Post by afdafsf » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:22 am

I know ^

Deft obviously doesn't have a clue. :lol:

Live excels in this aspect - WAY more so than ANY other sequencer I've seen.
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:30 am

this is a pretty interesting thread.

I understand why people love ableton - but I haven't had time to explore it much. As a scratch pad for ideas reason works great for me although I would never sequence with it cos its a bit small and fiddly.

About the sound engines - two magazines I've read recently (CM & FM) have both stated that the difference in audio quality between sequencers is negligible. People write dope shit in fruity loops that makes it to vinyl. Plenty of people write wack stuff in logic that never does.

Cubase does everything I want but I find it hard to jam with it sometimes and it can be a litttle bit cumbersome. For doing a proper mixdown though I don't think it can be beaten.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Lorin MMR
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Lorin MMR » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Very interesting stuff..... The Ableton Backlash starts here!

But seriously..... I guess what we're all saying is that some programs are for some people and some aren't. That's the beauty of making music in 2006. It doesn't really matter what you use and how you use it as long as you get the final results that you want.

Personally I think that Ableton and Logic rock, Cubase was good until they ruined it with SX3 (instability and cpu death), Reason is just horrible, and Pro Tools just sounds too... Pro Toolsy. But that's just my opinion.

And for £250 Ableton is a bargain. Not so long ago people were paying several thousand for a Roland Variphrase that could only do a fraction of what Ableton can.

Peace. Loz
fullofkittens
Noob
Noob

Post by fullofkittens » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:54 am

Just as a quick note:

To draw a midi clip into Live's Arrangement view, highlight the area you want for the midi clip, then right-click on it and select "insert midi clip." I don't know how much simpler it could be.
Capo-wear-I
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Capo-wear-I » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:04 pm

12 years of Cubase use vs
2 years of Ableton Use

1992 Cubase v2 on Atari ST :

Revolutionary at the time, but it looks painfully slow now. Memories of Staring with red eyes at a Black & White 14 " monitor for 12 Hours. Used to crash every hour, just before you saved your song to the floppy disk. Ouch !

1998(?) Cubase VST 3 on 200 MHz Pentium 1 PC :

The revolution is here ! Er.. Not quite. Eq sounded like a speak and spell. Used to run the fewest number of the most shite virtual instruments you have ever heard. Midi Timing was a joke. I want my Atari back ! Still - it did offer 'Hard disk audio recording' . We wrote '4x3' on it when it finally started behaving.

2002 Cubase SX 1 on 1.8 Pentium 4 PC :

Er…who changed Cubase ? Was never too happy with this, it never felt like the original Cubase.
Loads of additional shit that you'll never ever use.
Menus and Menus of it. All those tools - WTF ?
Simple tasks like re-arranging a song used to take hours.
Eq & FX are a joke - needed the UAD-1 (DSP card) to make it sound decent.
Shite.

And then...

2004 Ableton 4.1
I have been re-born !
Decent Eq & FX
Brilliant editing & Automation
The ability to Jam ideas together in way that you can't do with other programs.
Think of it like a big friendly sampler.
I was still using Cubase at this point, but I soon realised that the things that I liked about Cubase wasn't Cubase itself : It was Battery, Kontakt, Reactor etc..
Ableton handled these things just as well.
Saw the spec for V3 of Cubase SX. Not interested. Cubase went back in it's box.

2005 Ableton 5
Live Clips - holy shit ! Any idea - a beat, a bassline, a F***d up piece of vocal - can be saved as a 'Live clip' with any instrument, FX, EQ , automation etc..you can then audition & load it into any other song instantly. No more remembering where you saved 'that bassline patch' or which synth you got 'that sound' from.You have to check this out if you haven't seen it.
The new FX Rock : Saturator & Phaser
Don't get me wrong, it isn't all roses. There have been loads of small problems with V5 - it still uses almost double the CPU of any other program, but you kind of get used to this ...(remembering my Atari Days)….

One thing I will definitely say : using Ableton helped me realise how easy it can be to develop my existing Ideas into finished product instead of getting bored & moving on to a new idea (Sound familiar?). Maybe it just came along at the right time for me, I dunno, but I won't be moving back to one of the other 'Linear' sequencer programs in a hurry.
:gone:
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by :gone: » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:48 pm

Hey...as in Tru Thoughts Capoeira Twins :?:
Capo-wear-I
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Capo-wear-I » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:51 am

henryo!d wrote:Hey...as in Tru Thoughts Capoeira Twins :?:
The one and only

Actually - we've been away for so long, It's suprising that anybody can still spell our name !

Expect some badass Capoeira Sounds soon
bUmP
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by bUmP » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Well that was an entertaining 20 minute story post! Do you still want to sell your copy then Breaka?
Jason Gray
Noob
Noob

Post by Jason Gray » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:23 pm

suppose the whole abelton debate here, all depends on what sequencer software you learn on, and abelton not being your tradititional interface.
and each to their own, at present ime thinking its exellent, as i have tried allsorts, but have taken to live straight off.
as for chopping breaks loops i find their a little restriction,but time will tell with my overall productions results.

what ever works best for the individual, its helped me get to a pro level really quick, so here i stay.
Capo-wear-I
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Capo-wear-I » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:59 pm

JACE wrote:suppose the whole abelton debate here, all depends on what sequencer software you learn on, and abelton not being your tradititional interface.
and each to their own, at present ime thinking its exellent, as i have tried allsorts, but have taken to live straight off.
as for chopping breaks loops i find their a little restriction,but time will tell with my overall productions results.

what ever works best for the individual, its helped me get to a pro level really quick, so here i stay.
^
On the subject of chopping up breaks on Ableton...

A useful method is to temporarily stick the break into the Arrangement view .Chop the break up (Ctrl 'E') into loads of little sections. Then change the start point of each section. (think you can do this using 'Up arrow key' (?). Fiddle with Volume envelopes , Eq etc..When the break rocks , 'Consolidate' it (Ctrl 'J') & import into session view. Works brilliantly for cutting up samples too.
Think of the arrangement view also as an 'edit' View, and you may be suprised at the results.
klarky
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by klarky » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 pm

nice idea that!!

i tend to have multipul copies of a break and make mini clips and trigger tham with the trigger finger controller to make a new live break, but il;l give your way a try too.

the reason i do it my way as i can then save all the clips as a .als and it can be importe to other projects later
:gone:
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by :gone: » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Ian-Capoeiratwin wrote:
henryo!d wrote:Hey...as in Tru Thoughts Capoeira Twins :?:
The one and only

Actually - we've been away for so long, It's suprising that anybody can still spell our name !

Expect some badass Capoeira Sounds soon
Fantastic...keep me posted on the new sounds. I like your stuff and that rather cool label 8)
moderate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by moderate » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 pm

What does Live do that Live Lite doesn't?
Your dinner's in the Doug!
Rynooo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Rynooo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:51 pm

dtism wrote:What does Live do that Live Lite doesn't?
http://www.ableton.com/live-le-feature-comparison
pɐǝp sı sʞɐǝɹq

NOM