Why Did I Buy Abelton Live?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

moderate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by moderate » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:53 pm

Ooh, that's very informative, thanks 8)

(yes I know I'm a lazy cnut)
Your dinner's in the Doug!
The Sound Of The Police
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by The Sound Of The Police » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:23 pm

Capo-wear-I wrote:
henryo!d wrote:Hey...as in Tru Thoughts Capoeira Twins :?:
The one and only

Actually - we've been away for so long, It's suprising that anybody can still spell our name !

Expect some badass Capoeira Sounds soon
Or, as in Blowpop stylee 4x3 legendism Capoeira twins! Sorry, know you don't look back on the Blowpop days with rosy glasses but that release was timely and legendary in status and appeal. :D
Fandango Baglips
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Fandango Baglips » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

I've recently started using Ableton for making tunes. I gave sx3 a bit of a run through for about 6 months and now I'm using Ableton and I fucking love it. I find it easier to get down ideas and things just sound that little bit better imo. I'm sure that's not down to the program but probably just how you use it but I find it easier. I like how it has two views which I use one as much as the other. I did love sx 3 and thought there was no way it could be topped and was going to fork out for 4 but now I think I will buy Live instead. Plus it's cheaper!
IITone
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by IITone » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:06 pm

I got my copy of Ableton Live 7.0 through the post today. Never used it before, been stuck on Reason for ages using Sound Forge for post-processing and VST FX.

Setting up now, wish me luck!
Fandango Baglips
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Fandango Baglips » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:40 pm

There are fucking loads of tutorials on the web for it after you have gone through the ones built in.

There are plenty here too
Coyote
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Coyote » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:26 pm

pompey_Ace_face wrote:I got my copy of Ableton Live 7.0 through the post today. Never used it before, been stuck on Reason for ages using Sound Forge for post-processing and VST FX.

Setting up now, wish me luck!
'tis a good sequencer you should have fun. its quite easy to pick up too,
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
uncle jam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle jam » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:28 pm

ive got ableton 5 sat at home still in its box :?

time to learn it i think :waste:
DJ Racist Haircut
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DJ Racist Haircut » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Wax equestriaN wrote:i've been using ableton (4 then 5) for about a year now and i fucking love it. !

it does WAY more than E-Jay or fruityloops, so much more that imo this is a comparison that shouldn't even be made.

Personally, I don't think E-Jay and Fruityloops are a comparison that should be made.
First time I hear your music it punch me in the face.

No need shitstaff, this may bulverse you.
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:09 am

just re-read this thread to kills some time and it's quite interesting how a lot of the naysayers are now using it as their main sequencer or DJ tool...
wet look
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by wet look » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Just re-read it too ... how some of the worms have turned :D

Aaah the good ol' days :lol:
UH OH, HERE COMES OLD WILLY
archietech
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by archietech » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:18 pm

hahaha

without live sequencing my shit would be a pain in the arse. i also enjoy a few of the effects. using it live is the business too (strange that!). handy having a send / return setup while just spinnin' too

it also makes my thingamagoop (?) robot ghost sound as fat as my father which is the real reason i use it
the tasmanian connection

sunday 9am --> 11am GMT on NSB Radio

breaks 'n' such 'n' guests 'n' things

hi i'm a facebook thing for this please feel free to join
woodster
Regular
Regular

Post by woodster » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:46 am

i ditched cubase within days of trying live, it is so easy to get new ideas going in the session view

but it really is a cpu hog and I find it hard to get tunes complete. even with all tracks frozen i still max out my imac. guess I need a newer faster mac
It is sometimes better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
heretik
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by heretik » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:49 am

Metacognition wrote:
Wax equestriaN wrote:i've been using ableton (4 then 5) for about a year now and i fucking love it. !

it does WAY more than E-Jay or fruityloops, so much more that imo this is a comparison that shouldn't even be made.

Personally, I don't think E-Jay and Fruityloops are a comparison that should be made.
fl studio > ableton

i.e. midi implementation, ableton is way behind.
basskrapht
Noob
Noob

Post by basskrapht » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Personally, I love Sonar. There's some crazy features that I just can't live without that make things go so much faster for me. As far as Ableton, it's a sweet bit o kit if you know what you are doing with it. The benefits it has over my regular DAW is that it would theoretically allow me to play a track I made, live, and remix it on the fly right there at the show or even change patches, making that performance unique.

I think as a DAW it does have some shortcomings. Midi clip editing is extremely counter-intuitive to me, and the editing features leave much to be asked for. The constantly resizing or open/closing the piano roll area really pisses me off. I wish I could undock it or something. The best thing to do is get an over/under dual monitor kind of setup and put the lower half of things on the lower monitor by resizing the window. Audio routing kinda makes me upset. I still haven't figured out how to get Battery's different channels to show up for routing....

Every programme has it's strengths/weaknesses, but for the most part the annoyances with ableton (which are mostly just a matter of getting used to the workflow in Ableton) are outweighed by the cool stuff that it does allow one to do.
-bässkrapht.
Fedol
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Fedol » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:00 pm

heretik wrote:
Metacognition wrote:

fl studio > ableton

i.e. midi implementation, ableton is way behind.
x many more reasons. some great plugs on ableton and recording of clips in sequence to make arrangments is clever, but truly, not even close.
Rynooo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Rynooo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:24 pm

Thing is Ableton is so close to being the best DAW out there, albeit not quite.

They don't need to do all that much and it would leave much of the competition out in the cold. Roll on version 8.
pɐǝp sı sʞɐǝɹq

NOM
D.T.M.
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by D.T.M. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:02 pm

whaaaaaaa its got an awful long way to go to match pro tools editing or logics midi routing
uncle jam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle jam » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 am

drift wrote:ive got ableton 5 sat at home still in its box :?

time to learn it i think :waste:
2 months later....

still havent touched it :arrow:
The Mitchell
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by The Mitchell » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:37 am

I use ableton as a sketch pad. one the track is laid out i run into logic to master and mix down mainly because the soundquality in ableton is imo not as good as logic or cubase etc. On the other hand though i find it very easy to get down ideas aqnd as for cutting breaks check out sum ones amen cuts he does live using a keyboard. Ableton also allows for so many options when working live ie djing mixing with vinyl or cds and mp3s and also for playing new tracks out live whilst remixing them. it allows for a good opportunity to play out your own tunes to see what reaction it gets from a crowd. I usually test out new tunes that way to see how well they fair in a club or on a rig and its hella cheaper than getting my own vinyls cut.
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 am

The Mitchell wrote:the soundquality in ableton is imo not as good as logic or cubase etc.
people say this a lot - i would love to see some proof :)

i think it is a myth personally.