logic or cubase?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

...?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:37 pm

logic
42%
cubase sx
58%

Total votes: 36
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:34 pm

No need for delay compensation when you have hardware effects on Logic's busses. No CPU problems either ;)
bUmP
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by bUmP » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:54 pm

I have an unregistered copy of cubase sx2 you can buy if you decide on that Jung. Have managed to get Logic 7 at a knock down price so reckon i'l be sticking to that.

Nice Avatar Sean :lol: (now i know what a chindo is! :roll: )
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:59 pm

nectar juice wrote:No need for delay compensation when you have hardware effects on Logic's busses. No CPU problems either ;)
Mr Juice, what do you do when your doing a track with a hardware effect on it, you want to start doing something else and use the hardware for it. You cannot save the settings (at least on analogue EQ and Comp) so what do you do?

Do you bounce it down to audio and cease to edit the controls, do you recreate the settings everytime, do you do one monkface! track at a time, or what?!?
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
blimbo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by blimbo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:29 pm

Jung what's wrong with Ableton 4? Thought you were getting jiggy with it?

I was thinking of moving to that from Logic 5 cos I'm sticking with my PC..
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:52 pm

Walter Odington wrote:
nectar juice wrote:No need for delay compensation when you have hardware effects on Logic's busses. No CPU problems either ;)
Mr Juice, what do you do when your doing a track with a hardware effect on it, you want to start doing something else and use the hardware for it. You cannot save the settings (at least on analogue EQ and Comp) so what do you do?

Do you bounce it down to audio and cease to edit the controls, do you recreate the settings everytime, do you do one monkface! track at a time, or what?!?
Well first of all you get more than one hardware effects unit.
2nd I don't need to save any settings for EQs and compressors since I have ears and I can get the same EQ/compression setting I was using before within seconds.
Anyway, besides high passing synth parts that I do not want to interfere with my bassline, I barely EQ my synths... I like the way they sound as they are.
So yeah, if there is a specific reverb that I wanna use for a synth/whatever, I simply record the return as audio.

Also I don't like having more than 5-6 different reverb types in my tunes, as the parts start sounding a bit out of context with everything that is going on in the mix. Just a touch of tight reverb on the leads with assorted pre-delay times to achieve the effects I want, generally longer reverbs on background effect sounds that I don't want to have in my face, and some very tight reverbs on drums, percussion, top end.
I'm not too fussed about reverbs as effects. I use my synths to get the desired effect sounds and I have found a few lush longish reverbs/delays that put the effects sounds in the right place in a mix.

I used to sit down for hours and think about what would be more impressive and ended up with sounds and effects that were unusable in the mix.
Now I concentrate more in the context and the sounds of the tune as a
dance tune that will make people dance instead of spending hours thinking about an effect that will make people stroke their chins.
Splashmash
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Splashmash » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:22 pm

You can do all your mastering and shit in Live 4 too. So if you like Live and want to buy a sequencer just buy that. It's much cheaper. And it does everything all of the BIG sequencers do. It's routing options for example are particularly good. And you'll write a tune in about 1/10t of the time ;)

I've heard many tales of people moving from Logic and Cubase..... and I'm one of 'em :D
ACME
Regular
Regular

Post by ACME » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:32 pm

well...

every DA/AD process involves a bit of latency...
and every hardware EFX processor has got some latency.

It may not be a problem, i.e. when using a reverb you'll compensate it with predelay, but it's there.
Jung
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jung » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:15 pm

i've decided to go with fruity loops and cubase. who was it that had that copy of sx2, how much do you want for it?
ACME
Regular
Regular

Post by ACME » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:17 pm

what didn't you like in Ableton Live?
Jung
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jung » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:19 pm

i like ableton live, for doing mixes and doing stuff live it couldnt get any better. but as a proper sequencer it just doesn't feel right, i'm sure it's just as good as anything else. but it feels so un natural that i don't feel inspired. i like cubase much better.
ACME
Regular
Regular

Post by ACME » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:25 pm

really strange, given the fact that its interface is a lot more intuitive than anything else...
so now you'll start producing jung :)
Get some decent monitors too
Jung
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jung » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:35 pm

i want to get a laptop first definitely, then some monitors. 8)
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:59 am

ACME wrote:
well...

every DA/AD process involves a bit of latency...
and every hardware EFX processor has got some latency.

It may not be a problem, i.e. when using a reverb you'll compensate it with predelay, but it's there.
In theory yes, there is some delay induced in the signal path from the conversion process (nothing like the much longer delay induced from some plug ins though), but in practise you won't notice it.
It's not like you'd stick a decaying tail immediately after the dry signal anyway.
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:55 am

So I'm spending too long stroking my chin!?! ;)

I should have known what was wrong.

So apart from knowing how to EQ and compress properly and repeatably, how would you reccomend going about constructing a track all done with memmoyless hardware? Do it all in one go so you can change the controls if needed, or flit between tunes recording one instrument at a time? Or something in between?
"Once it has penetrated, a paralyzing saliva subdues the prey and the snail feeds at leisure, often beginning with the softest parts such as the gonads and gut."
nectarios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nectarios » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:31 am

Walter Odington wrote:So I'm spending too long stroking my chin!?! ;)
Well it depends wether you wanna make chin stroking music or not
Walter Odington wrote: Do it all in one go so you can change the controls if needed
Eh? Which controls are you talking about?
I simply record sounds that I like as audio, straight away. If I am not happy with the part/take after a while, I mute/erase the part and go back to re-record something better, or I might put the audio through the modular again and automate the cut-off and/resonance/EG modulation amount...etc to get a more precise result. But sweeping things manually when recording, is better for some things.
It really doesn't take long before I patch the patch chords in the right inputs on the modular, pretty much anything that comes out of it, I really dig + I've been using it for years and know it inside out.
Think about what it is that someone needs to get down right in order to make a phat dance tune...phat souding drums and phat sounding bassline/leads.
When people go to a club and wake up the next day, they will not remember glitches or 5 second edits that took someone 7 hours of tedious mouse use to make. When having a shower, they will not whistle and nod their head to the noisy sweeps that come in with some LFO controlling the panning of a reversed reverb right before the dry sound goes into an automated stereo delay that goes through 3 notes of delay patterns before the feedback goes to 0.

People remember the music, the leads, the bassline, stabs...etc.
So, personally, the way I see it, it's better to focus on the music (without being over complicated, dance music is not about switching between 4 major and 3 minor scales by the time the tune is finished) and the sounds that realise it.

If you wanna impress fellow producers, then go for the tedious editing...even remix both takes of John Coltrane's Ascesion if you feel like it.
If you wanna make people dance, keep it simple and PHAT!
Less is more on the dancefloor.
Walter Odington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Walter Odington » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:57 pm

much obliged for the insight... food for thought
Gemini Gee
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gemini Gee » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:58 am

Well im a Cubase man thru and thrui, been using it since V2 on the ST, ive looked at Logic and some of my friends use it but i am very happy with what i can do with Cubase and dont really have the time to learn a new platform!
STICKY FINGERS

mjoogoo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Logic off course...

Post by mjoogoo » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:15 pm

I've been on cubase from the begginning (Pro 24... Cobase 3 and so on)
Then I started to work on logic.. (and I'm working on PC... so 5.5.1) But... even if SX3 is more powerful.... Logic is fast and wonderfulll
d prime
Regular
Regular

Post by d prime » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:34 pm

Logic all the way. Upgraded to Pro 7 recently. UltraBeat is fucking awsome! :badgrin:
Moif
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Moif » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:45 pm

Acid 5 + Reason + Rewire.

Fuck cubase, acid does it for me everytime now.

Real time loop previewing is the don.
http://www.brap.fm

I run shit parties.