[tune] Killer Kicker

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Respiration
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

[tune] Killer Kicker

Post by Respiration » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 am

https://soundcloud.com/sachio/killer-kicker

What do you think?

Mastered on my Spirit Focals so I don't know about the bass....
Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Re: [tune] Killer Kicker

Post by Protoplasym » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:57 am

I left feedback:

"Cool noises and that Kick Drum is bumping well. This does not sound like Breakbeat because you're using a KD on the first 3 beats of every measure. I love all the Filter Modulated sounds coming out of the Breakdown. 1:55 - 2:26 I can hardly hear your Snare Drum. Overall the SD is kind of small in the Mix. Interesting Housey sounding tune. I would not call this Breakbeat. If you took away the KD on the 2nd downbeat of every measure, then you'd have a Ploddy sounding Breaks tune. Production wise, everything sounds good at loud volume, but the SD is weak imo."
ag4111
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ag4111 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:23 pm

An NSBH appraisal. Aren’t we lucky :lol:
Respiration
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Respiration » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:19 am

ag4111 wrote:An NSBH appraisal. Aren’t we lucky :lol:
What's that mean? :p :p :p
Respiration
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Respiration » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:19 am

ag4111 wrote:An NSBH appraisal. Aren’t we lucky :lol:
What's that mean? :p :p :p
Respiration
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Respiration » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:23 am

Protoplasym wrote:I left feedback:

"Cool noises and that Kick Drum is bumping well. This does not sound like Breakbeat because you're using a KD on the first 3 beats of every measure. I love all the Filter Modulated sounds coming out of the Breakdown. 1:55 - 2:26 I can hardly hear your Snare Drum. Overall the SD is kind of small in the Mix. Interesting Housey sounding tune. I would not call this Breakbeat. If you took away the KD on the 2nd downbeat of every measure, then you'd have a Ploddy sounding Breaks tune. Production wise, everything sounds good at loud volume, but the SD is weak imo."
Thanks for the feedback mate. I kinda pulled the weak snare on purpose. I guess it was part of the gimmick. I hear you about the 'breakbeat' critique, but I've seen top 10 tracks in the beatport breaks list that were less breaky than this, so I guess it's a fluid genre.

I did kind of just make whatever I felt like tho, so it makes sense it's not a traditional break in that sense. Thanks for the critique!

J
Respiration
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Respiration » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:23 am

Thanks for the feedback mate. I kinda pulled the weak snare on purpose. I guess it was part of the gimmick. I hear you about the 'breakbeat' critique, but I've seen top 10 tracks in the beatport breaks list that were less breaky than this, so I guess it's a fluid genre.

I did kind of just make whatever I felt like tho, so it makes sense it's not a traditional break in that sense. Thanks for the critique!

J
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Sounds decent. I'd up the snare volume a bit (1-2db), and possibly add a little compression to emphasise its transient a little more. I would agree that its not breaks but it's the kind of tune that a breaks DJ would drop to change things up. Personally Im not into the new synth riff in the middle section but that's just my musical preference. I very much like the groove either side of that though, dark and pounding. It would sound great over a big system Im sure.
Respiration
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Respiration » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Doomo wrote:Sounds decent. I'd up the snare volume a bit (1-2db), and possibly add a little compression to emphasise its transient a little more. I would agree that its not breaks but it's the kind of tune that a breaks DJ would drop to change things up. Personally Im not into the new synth riff in the middle section but that's just my musical preference. I very much like the groove either side of that though, dark and pounding. It would sound great over a big system Im sure.

Tanks bruv for the luv! Seriously grateful for the encouraging words.
Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Protoplasym » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:59 am

Respiration wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:23 am

J
No worries. For Elitists like myself, if the beat isn't syncopated 100%, it's not a Broken beat. :o Right on, keep doing what you do. 8)