How to make that very breaks bass ?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

slugware
Noob
Noob

How to make that very breaks bass ?

Post by slugware » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:55 pm

Now im trying to figure out the bass sound phrase that occurs at 4:05 , some of wobbly sound , with a bit of reverb ,

https://youtu.be/1YUUxPxz3Ec?t=4m3s

Any help would be appreciated! :idea:
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: How to make that very breaks bass ?

Post by TT_ » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:45 am

you need a bit of distorted bass and a band pass filter with resonance

you could probly make this with any soft sampler, EXS24, Halion, Kontakt etc

take a sample of one bass note from a synth - find a library of maybe minimoog samples (for example)

take one sample and then using a wave editor distort it to shit

use a function like rescale or gain or change volume to add tons of gain to the sample - before you do this the sample will look this a nice spiky waveform, preferably when you've finished it should look like a square block of nastiness

then you need to get this sample spread across the keyboard so you can play a jolly bassline, perhaps a bassline so jolly that it only uses one note

then you need to setup a band pass filter and turn up the resonance a bit, maybe halfway at forst then readjust later

next up is to set your modulation wheel to change/affect the cutoff frequency of the band pass filter

at this point you should be able to play the track back , wiggle the mod wheel and get all kinds of interesting squidge

then you have to record the results, either record the modwheel as midi data or record the output of the sampler as audio to another channel

then maybe make an arrangement where the jolly one note bassline repeats itself

add some reverb to taste

record about 5 minutes of tweaking and squiding the filter around with the modwheel

listen back and pick out the good bits and use them

to my ears that particular bass in the reference track sounds like an EMU6400 hardware sampler - they were fairly popular at the time - i could be wrong though and you could get much the same effect from a soft sampler - the important bit is regaining the sample to distort it so all the frequencies are loud and therefore the filter sounds much stronger

hope that all makes sense
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:47 am

good stuff tam. tamtam is the master!
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 am

in massive probably
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
slugware
Noob
Noob

Post by slugware » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:24 am

Hey, Tam! Thanks for the comprehensive answer, man! Really appreciate it.

So i've tried with different combinations - 1st osc - sine wave, 2nd - supersaw, slightly detuned or 1st - sine, 2nd - square , etc all running through bpf most of the trials or 24dB low pass on both oscillators (key-tracked to the max possible), but haven't got anything even remotely close to it
apparently the movement of that bass is the filter, i just need to figure out the oscillators and similar saturation / distortion

Moog samples are an idea worth checking out!

I will also try this thing with mangling a sound in sampler rather than a softh synth

the important bit is regaining the sample to distort it so all the frequencies are loud and therefore the filter sounds much stronger
this ^ i think you're onto something here.

Thanks for taking time to help me out! It does make sense! ;)

Cheers!
Rado
slugware
Noob
Noob

Post by slugware » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:17 pm

TT_ wrote:To my ears that particular bass in the reference track sounds like an EMU6400 hardware sampler

I looked for some videos on EMU 6400 and EMU 6400 Ultra to see what is the sound of it. Pretty good machine. I found this 'in the studio' video of Fracture and Neptune, and they made like almost exactly the same bass with that sampler. So you got it right!

Cheers! :)