Too many tracks in one track?

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Too many tracks in one track?

Post by ~Lander~ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:18 pm

I am finding that I am increasing doing this? My current sounds like 3 tracks in one and isn't really all that coherent.

Does anyone else do this and how the hell do you stop yourself doing this?
https://soundcloud.com/leftwingrecordin ... eftwing011 I have somehow done a track that has been released. I know, I don't know how either.
LTJ_Nukem wrote:i'm only here for the signatures
Dan Badbro_ wrote:Totes deffo
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Too many tracks in one track?

Post by TT_ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:06 pm

break them up into 3 separate songs IMO
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:10 pm

I have 2 from something I made :lol: I think my issue is I have been listening to Floating Points too much and he is a genius and I am just, well, not :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/leftwingrecordin ... eftwing011 I have somehow done a track that has been released. I know, I don't know how either.
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TT_ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:21 pm

making those epic tunes that change from one thing to another is fun, I've done a few

in the end the good bit gets played in the club and the idea mostly gets lost

:violin:
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:23 pm

:violin: Thankless task :cry:

I have proper enjoyed making it/them though :lol:
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:24 pm

It is just having a bit of a gender identity issue.
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 am

This happens to me all the time. I think its a combination of having lots of parallel ideas about one song and executing them and then finding you have too much going on.

Its also a symptom of believing your music is boring or uninteresting and feeling the need to keep adding stuff to it to give it depth or more interest.

Lately I have been trying quite hard, and only with limited success, to make sure that I keep those ideas only if I really need them later on in the song but also thinking a lot about what the song is, in its essence, and how I can keep it as simple as possible and true to that notion.

Be really ruthless with the parts you have. Its fine to sketch out a bunch of different ideas but then you have to be objective about how much you need them or how good they are. If you dont know, you dont need them. Make the most of what you have got before you start adding more sounds.

I think making music is really about making lots of executive decisions very quickly so you dont get bored and lose the vibe and you have to have confidence to make them. My belief these days is the less you actually think about them the better. Simple black and white decisions like 'does it work or not?' make this easier. Not 'I could make this work if I do this...' because then you're correcting something you didn't like that much in the first place. Better to scrap something that doesn't work after 5 minutes than spend 3 hours working on something you didn't really like and then scrapping it. Identifying these things before you go that far is good. You also can leave the finessing to the end because spending an hour now getting that snare right will make you want to cut your ears off and you'll probably not finish the track.

Also not listening to your track too much makes all of this easier. Dont listen to it on loop. Dont take it out of your studio until its almost complete.
Last edited by alex_virr on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
bobby hill
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by bobby hill » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:31 am

spent ages making something with the tam break :beatz:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164994
left it alone for over a month :cow:
listened again :tuna:
sounds like four things clumsily crowbarred together :facepalm: :circularsaw: :hammer: :violin:
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:45 am

youthful_implants wrote:Its also a symptom of believing your music is boring or uninteresting and feeling the need to keep adding stuff to it to give it depth or more interest.
This ^

If you are having to pad it out to make it sound good then the basic idea / sound isn't good enough in the first place. :facepalm: :violin:
steelo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by steelo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:51 pm

32 minute villalobos business anyone?

:violin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkjZKZGcCpg
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:51 pm

Nah, it is all about this [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XfaMXLDnuk[/youtube] 45 mins

I think part of my issue is that I can't objectively unhear things once I have made them.

I am in totally agree with Alex about the time thing. I am getting firstly a lot quicker at getting stuff down and more ruthless at leaving things that are not working.