Bass issuez again

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Bass issuez again

Post by ~Lander~ » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I really thought for all of about 2 tracks I made I nailed my bass but listening back they are fucking shit. I really don't know why it causes me so many issues.
The most recent one is a total cluster fuck as I got my bass down right at the start and everything fitted in really nice but now I am trying to change it and nothing works and arrrrrrrrgh
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

:cry:
https://soundcloud.com/leftwingrecordin ... eftwing011 I have somehow done a track that has been released. I know, I don't know how either.
LTJ_Nukem wrote:i'm only here for the signatures
Dan Badbro_ wrote:Totes deffo
innocent bystander
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Bass issuez again

Post by innocent bystander » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 pm

what are these issues?

is it the rhythm of the bass, the notes, the progression?
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:18 pm

All of the above. I think I naturally like rolling bass and I really seem to struggle to make it without it sounding droney :(
https://soundcloud.com/leftwingrecordin ... eftwing011 I have somehow done a track that has been released. I know, I don't know how either.
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TT_ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 am

send me a link lando
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:14 am

linkaloids?
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:20 am

Hokay, it is the early stages though xx

https://soundcloud.com/lander-1/dl3/s-krAFx
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 am

Also, I should mention all the things I have tired;

Juno Bass
Acousticy bass
Growly Bass
Standard go to bass that has never let me down until now
Samples
Chopping samples up to fuck

Nothing works :(
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:05 am

have you got any sidechaining between the kick and bassline?

have you tried a pure sub line and overlaying another sound to get warmth / mids part of the bassline?
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:17 am

I tried it on one of my reincarnations of trying everything. The sidechaning, that is.

No, not tried the pure sub, or I may have done :( I don't know any more. I have honestly never been so frustrated with a track in all my life.

I'll try the sub thing again and the side chaining. I think it might be but I can't remember :cry:
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 am

Currently, the kick gets lost depending on what the bassline is doing. The standard approach of having a compressor on the bassline that is triggered by the kick drum would work to a degree, but the kick you've used has a fairly long sub tail so any compressor triggered by that will kill the bassline for quite a bit of the time. You don't really want that kick tail overlaying the sub in your bassline.

Options:

1) Use a tighter kick with less sub tail (may sound a bit pants when no bassline is playing)
2) Create a copy of your kickdrum sound and apply an envelope to it that removes the tail, and play this kick drum sound at times when the bassline is also playing. (quick results but trial and error needed on the envelope)
3) (what I do) Change the sidechain configuration. Add a 3rd channel that plays a very short sharp sound (like a hit hat or click) on the kickdrum and use that to trigger the comp on the bassline. Set the comp sidechain to be pre-fader so it fires the bassline compressor irrespective of the channel vol fader level, then fade it out completely so you dont hear it (a bit of hold time on the bassline compressor, say 50ms and release time of about 50 - 75ms). Add a compressor on the kick drum (shortest attack and 0 release time) that is fired by the bassline. This is so that when the bassline compressor releases and the bassline sound comes back to full volume then it fires the compressor on the kickdrum and kills the tail of the kickdrum sound. The settings of the compressor on the bassline then pretty much controls how the kick and bassline interact (control that you don't get with option 2). The amount of hold + release time controls how much of the kick drum you hear. I usually have the attack time as short as possible, hold of about 50 ms then a release of around 75ms but tune the release time by ear to get the groove I want. Too little hold+release time and the kick plays for too little time and loses its thump. Where as too much hold + release makes the kick dominate and the bassline sound start to be a bit too pumping (which may or may not be desirable). Aim to get the compressor gain reduction to be about 8-9db on all the compressors. The more reduction the better but I have found that pushing the reduction too much can start to sound a bit weird, too little and they wont really do anything. When checking and setting the gain reduction I would suggest soloing that compressor and disabling all the others. You can also put some negative channel time delay on the silent channel so that the sound actually fires a few ms (perhaps 10 or 20) before the kick plays, thus firing the bassline compressor a little earlier which allows the kick drum sound to cut through a little sharper.

Open to opinions / suggestions / better ideas on option 3 appreciated. This is my chosen method of handling the bottom end after years of fucking about but there are probably better ways of doing it. When I start a new track I always just set this up from the start now as it seems to work pretty well.

To check results I put a low pass filter on the master channel, filter everything except the very bottom end and crank the system right up. Then I can listen to exactly how the sub and kicks bass interact. Anything nasty soon becomes apparent.

Hope it makes sense. Sorry its a little long.
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:55 am

No, no, not at all. It took me reading it 2 times though :lol:

I haven't had years playing about to try stuff like this so it is massively appreciated :)
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TT_ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 pm

i dont think it sounds SO bad tbh

you should probly compress the bass more but

i think the problem may be that the track is slightly discordant and that therefore there is no "correct note" for the bass

this is caused i think by the gatey type chord thing

also the one note melody that starts at 30 seconds is contributing to this

probly the best thing to do is move onto a new track and leave this one as is

fuck getting frustrated and annoyed, its supposed to be fun
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:57 pm

It is mainly fun. I don't know how I have ended up in such a pickle :(

Just going to stick to making deep stuff :(

That will show me for trying to make happier music :lol:
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 pm

The main thing is, I just get pissed of with my own limitations.

Yes, I learn something from absolutely everything I make but it doesn't always make me feel better :facepalm:
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:24 pm

tamprecision_ wrote:fuck getting frustrated and annoyed, its supposed to be fun
It is fun until you cant quite get the sound you want coming out the speakers and then its god damn fucking annoying
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TT_ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:44 pm

water will kill your speakers tam
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:50 pm

:(
TT_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by TT_ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Doomo wrote:water will kill your speakers tam

it tried to kill my speakers AND my mixer

i called bruce round and he licked it into shape
~Lander~
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ~Lander~ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:54 pm

I find it mega hard leaving things unfinished :violin:

Started something new tonight :violin: :violin: :violin:

Gonna nail my bass from the start. You watch.