processing beats

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:34 am

plazadefunk wrote:
BLista. wrote: Also a tiny bit of stereo spread (maybe L/R of about 4-8%) on a snare can work wonders providing you use a plug which sums nicely to mono.
What do you use Deano? I've noticed the built-in Logic stereo widener creates lots of phasing problems :-(
MDA Stereo. (free plug)

uses Haas effect. It's single handedly improved my mixes unbelievably. and it sums to mono without any phase smearing or nastiness :D

you can select widening with or without delays(the delays sum beautifully too, somehow) and you can adjust the delay settings & panning too. It's fucking incredible

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm

it doesn't have a dedicated GUI, but it does't matter cos it only has about 5 or 6 parameters.
findog
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by findog » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:37 am

plazadefunk wrote:
BLista. wrote: Also a tiny bit of stereo spread (maybe L/R of about 4-8%) on a snare can work wonders providing you use a plug which sums nicely to mono.
What do you use Deano? I've noticed the built-in Logic stereo widener creates lots of phasing problems :-(
have you tried Stereo Tools by Sonalksis.. i think it does the job quite subtlety
Blitch
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Blitch » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:47 am

findog
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by findog » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:52 am

BLista. wrote:
fin wrote:
BLista. wrote:For me, getting the beats right is also about the mix as well as compression etc. If your beats are not too punchy, don't use as much stereo spread on the rest of your mix elements as they will sound "bigger" and make your drums sound weedy. push the drum buss up a bit to compensate

If they are massive you can go crazier with your panning and stereo FX as they will still hold their own.

To make a drum patch sound fatter without comp etc, simple distortion or overdrive can make them really smack. Adding hats to snares and single shot tambs to the attack of kiks can lift them through a mix. As Boonos said, transient shapers can help make them really snap, althoguh you can achieve similarly different results with compression.

But on dry samples i generally use the UAD limiting amps to bring them up. and then edit them in soundforge.

Also a tiny bit of stereo spread (maybe L/R of about 4-8%) on a snare can work wonders providing you use a plug which sums nicely to mono.

Sam Hell's massive snare in one of his recent tunes (possibly Gun club but maybe not - can't remember) i noticed was wider than the whole rest of the arrangement which gives added oomph to the listener. Centring everything else gives the illusion that the snare is massive. (although his snares are massive anyway, but this adds to the illusion in this particular track)

very tricky to get right though without swamping the mix.

Gated Reverb is pretty essential to get space and reverb patch is key. somethign i struggle with a lot.

[/blah&tings&stuff]
i like you man, you know this shit and you share it, you're a cool dude, respect :fist breast x2:
i should take notes btw eheh
cheers, but take it with a pinch of salt, my production is not exactly world beating.
ye man, the sam hell bit, its something ppl tend to do, research etc the stuff that calls our attention ye, then and come up with our ways of doin it most of times comin with something completely different and still cool ye? but usually you dont share, just part of the process, you find something and work it, not because your a bad person, is something you just do, then accidentally may even come up with exclusive "tings".. so i think its cool that you share, havin us skiping the 1st part of research process :lol: :p ;)
all for the sake of good music i believe :)
respec :rasta:
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:02 am

Cheers peeps!

yeah I used to use that mda and it defo does the job, but doesn't seem to be working on mactel :(
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 am

plazadefunk wrote:Cheers peeps!

yeah I used to use that mda and it defo does the job, but doesn't seem to be working on mactel :(
"AU

These free effect plug-ins are compatible with Mac OS 10.3.9 or later, and with Macs using Intel x86 processors."

there's new ones in there fella :)
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:08 am

BLista. wrote:

"AU

These free effect plug-ins are compatible with Mac OS 10.3.9 or later, and with Macs using Intel x86 processors."

:woo:

Must have been a recent addition!! Cheers dude! :D
boonos
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by boonos » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:53 am

plazadefunk wrote:
BLista. wrote:

"AU

:woo:

Must have been a recent addition!! Cheers dude! :D
great little plug for stereo spreading. i thought it didnt work when i first got it, i was fooled by it not having its own interface. it picks up the interface native with your DAW
hutson
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hutson » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 am

Yo...

Since the beats are already compressed with reverb printed (migh just be room mic) you should use a maximizer to undo some of the compression and the reverb. That is assuming the reverb isn't monstrously high in the mix.

after that you should have a little more room to work
Coyote
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Coyote » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:24 am

hutson wrote:Yo...

Since the beats are already compressed with reverb printed (migh just be room mic) you should use a maximizer to undo some of the compression and the reverb. That is assuming the reverb isn't monstrously high in the mix.

i've not heard of a one of these, would you mind explaining more? that technique sounds like could come in handy.
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:27 am

hutson wrote:Yo...

how does that work?
Spangled
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Spangled » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:09 am

fin wrote:
BLista. wrote:For me, getting the beats right is also about the mix as well as compression etc. If your beats are not too punchy, don't use as much stereo spread on the rest of your mix elements as they will sound "bigger" and make your drums sound weedy. push the drum buss up a bit to compensate

If they are massive you can go crazier with your panning and stereo FX as they will still hold their own.

To make a drum patch sound fatter without comp etc, simple distortion or overdrive can make them really smack. Adding hats to snares and single shot tambs to the attack of kiks can lift them through a mix. As Boonos said, transient shapers can help make them really snap, althoguh you can achieve similarly different results with compression.

But on dry samples i generally use the UAD limiting amps to bring them up. and then edit them in soundforge.

Also a tiny bit of stereo spread (maybe L/R of about 4-8%) on a snare can work wonders providing you use a plug which sums nicely to mono.

Sam Hell's massive snare in one of his recent tunes (possibly Gun club but maybe not - can't remember) i noticed was wider than the whole rest of the arrangement which gives added oomph to the listener. Centring everything else gives the illusion that the snare is massive. (although his snares are massive anyway, but this adds to the illusion in this particular track)

very tricky to get right though without swamping the mix.

Gated Reverb is pretty essential to get space and reverb patch is key. somethign i struggle with a lot.

[/blah&tings&stuff]
i like you man, you know this shit and you share it, you're a cool dude, respect :fist breast x2:
i should take notes btw eheh
x2, respect mate :D
2D
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by 2D » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:38 am

how does that work?
i think he means an expander, which works exactly as a compressor with treshold, attack, gain, release etc... but instead of reducing the dynamics it will expand it.
some compressors can work as an expander if you set the good radio (for instance instead of 4:1 you'll set 1:4). if i remember well the waves C1 has this feature