...Some helpful EQing tips!!

Seek advice, post tracks, help others, discuss studio hardware and software - from studio pros to beginners, all are welcome...

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

SugarApe
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by SugarApe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:52 pm

It's all about envelopes too. You'd be surprised exactly how many 'eq' problems can be resolved just by giving the envelope another tweak - it can really tighten and open up loads more space in the mix without even touching the frequency spectrum.

Don't overcomplicate the simplest of matters
SugarApe
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by SugarApe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:57 pm

Damo S wrote:Adding this shit is not a must. These are just tools for sculpting your sounds, and may make them better, or worse, or total shite. Whether you use them, or how you use them is a question that has to be asked for each and every sound.

although, with experience you get to know what effect certain EQing or compression settings are likely to produce on a certain type of sound. But this has to be learnt by trial and error through hours of fucking about with WIPs, because there are no rules.
^^Precisely.

Every kit and every synth I build isn't just sculpted to it's own sound, but the sound of everything else that's going on. One can't build a set of rules for an infinite number of variables! But there's no substitute for the experience of repeated trial and error to know how to make things work.
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:00 pm

woottsy wrote:Tbh, I would ignore EQ tips, it says boost the kickdrum at so and so hz etc but do all kick drums sound the same? No. So, I would say just use your ears.
Agree totally - if you are mixing live bands then it's more relevant - but samples..............?

Sugarape wrote:I used to make cuts and shelves all over the place, especially with my drums. I've finally discovered however that the best way to eq is to do it as little as possible - it's all about getting things right at the source. Some careful filtering and saturation in e.g. Battery can really bring out some harmonics and accentuate the pitch of your drums (not to be confused with resonance!).

I do make occasional e.q. boosts here and there though - cuts can really degrade the natural quality of the sounds and make things sound too flat andartificial. Some careful boosts - particularly in the 1kHz-5kHz range - can do wonders for making kicks and snares sound really solid and punchy.

I guess there's no hard and fast rule, just listen to what your adding and taking away and try not to lose the plot. Going off on too many tangents when getting the sound right probably means you need better sounds.
you mention filtering in battery - that is EQ'ing surely?
Sugarape wrote:Every kit and every synth I build isn't just sculpted to it's own sound, but the sound of everything else that's going on. One can't build a set of rules for an infinite number of variables! But there's no substitute for the experience of repeated trial and error to know how to make things work.
totally agree. use it if you need it. if it's not working, use different samples, and after a while you'll get to know what needs a little EQ
SugarApe
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by SugarApe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:24 pm

I guess filtering and eqing are arguably the same. Though the eq is quite 'dimensionless' for lack of a better word. Filters always sound so much more real and full of life.

Plus if you do these things within battery, you can modulate the filters with the smallest touch of velocity or from the envelopes - it all adds a little flair and life to the groove. And at the end of the day groove is more important than the mix itself.

Don't overcomplicate the simplest of matters
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Good stuff.

welcome to the forum by the way :)
Gme
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Gme » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Thx BLista...kinda late though :shock:

8)
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 pm

old thread huh :lol:
Gme
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Gme » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:28 am

isn't it? 8)
spider webb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by spider webb » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:59 am

to be fair much of what has been said above is perfectly valid (esp the modulation aspect) and of course there's a lot to be said for selecting/sculpting the right sounds at source.

i do however think this attitude of 'if you're having to eq this much blah blah blah' is a bit misleading. personally i might find i can get a eg kick sound i want far quicker using eq/compression etc than trwalling through loads of samples. ok if you're not that clued up on what you're doing then maybe it's not such a good idea........ i just get a bit fed up hearing talk of eq and compression as tho they're going to give your tunes aids or summat. they are as much tools as anything else in your arsenal. have fun with them for gods sake.

sorry if an inappropriate rant.
it's all anarchy, innit.
Dan_Random wrote:Girlfriend = insecure version of your conscience.
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 pm

spider webb wrote:to be fair much of what has been said above is perfectly valid (esp the modulation aspect) and of course there's a lot to be said for selecting/sculpting the right sounds at source.

i do however think this attitude of 'if you're having to eq this much blah blah blah' is a bit misleading. personally i might find i can get a eg kick sound i want far quicker using eq/compression etc than trwalling through loads of samples. ok if you're not that clued up on what you're doing then maybe it's not such a good idea........ i just get a bit fed up hearing talk of eq and compression as tho they're going to give your tunes aids or summat. they are as much tools as anything else in your arsenal. have fun with them for gods sake.

experience is key definitely. eventually you start to recognise a basic building block and what it will sound like after EQ/comp etc etc.
Capo-wear-I
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Capo-wear-I » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Some good points here - no hard and fast rules.

Another point is that a lot of the drum sounds you check out on these sample collections will have EQ & comp already applied to them - and some will be layered already, so they might not need much tweaking & layering compared to more raw sample collections (Eg drum machine hits, Acoustic drum recordings, synth noise sample etc..).

Both aproaches are valid - i prefer working with ugly untreated samples..
spider webb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by spider webb » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:43 pm

BLista. wrote:
spider webb wrote:to be fair much of what has been said above is perfectly valid (esp the modulation aspect) and of course there's a lot to be said for selecting/sculpting the right sounds at source.

experience is key definitely. eventually you start to recognise a basic building block and what it will sound like after EQ/comp etc etc.
absolutely. it's just if you read a lot of the production type mags there's quite a lot of that attitude. whilst it is perfectly valid you almost get a sense that these things are to be feared, or that if you're using a lot of eq you're doing summat wrong. that's not necessarily true. and i a way i think you can get away with more extream processing in electronic music as you're starting from unatural sounding sources.

also the old 'path of excess leads to wisom' addage i think lends it'self very well when it comes to processing in that it certainly let's you hear the process and learn from it.
it's all anarchy, innit.
Dan_Random wrote:Girlfriend = insecure version of your conscience.
Spangled
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Spangled » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:04 am

Legend! & to everyone who's commented too!! Gonna save this for future reference and use and tweak to suit. Really appreciate tips like this to help get right ball park when previously just using guesswork :D
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:13 am

a1studmuffin wrote:Also in parametric EQs, a gentle shelf EQ is generally kinder to your sounds and results in less phase smearing than a low/highpass EQ. You'll probably only hear it on really transienty percussion though.
~Michael, could you pleae explain your understanding of the fundamental differences between parametric, paragraphic and other EQ types?

I genuinely aint got a scooby doo - although i know what linear phase EQ's do
Leuce Rhythms
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Leuce Rhythms » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Wicked tips - thanks for that, will def save this thread for a later date

Nice one bruvver
myspace.com/leucerhythms

Free Leuce Rhythms mix download
Gme
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Gme » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:07 pm

may i add guys that these tips i put on here are very general and subject to change depending on the sample itself

I.e. One kick might need to be cut around 120Hz to fit with a bass sound while another kick should be cut around 140Hz.

However, this was just a try to generalize where everything lies on the EQ scale :)

Cheers guys 8)
Ruido
Noob
Noob

Post by Ruido » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm

A great site with loads of tips (from the makers of Computer music)

www.musicradar.com

Have a look!

Peace