Setting up a record label, Advice etc.

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Jurassik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jurassik » Tue May 09, 2006 6:08 pm

You bastard :(
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Tue May 09, 2006 8:40 pm

^^^ :lol:

buy one bellend get one free
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
mesmer
Regular
Regular

Post by mesmer » Tue May 09, 2006 10:12 pm

Jurassik wrote:OK... there are some of us out there who don't want the music to just keep getting more and more housey. We like breakbeats, and we don't always want to be having to buy bassline to get our fix of that particular rhythm. We don't want to be backwards-thinking, but we are not down with the idea that moving closer to house music is the only potential evolutionary step forward for breaks.

We are not undancefloor friendly, we simply believe that any of a whole range of potential breakbeat patterns (and we are not talking just the use of a real live break here, but also programmed loops that mimic this structure) can be as dancefloor friendly as four to the floor. We don't see that as a caveman-like POV.

There are a myriad of ways to push things forward, we just don't share the house-orientated perspective on that particular one.
AMEN TO THAT !!!
trully and honestly..
i already love your label !!! :D

Ro-Botchit
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by Ro-Botchit » Wed May 10, 2006 8:09 pm

clur wrote:if you need names and numbers you'd do well buying a copy of one of these books;

Music Week Directory (fucking extortionately priced but a bible for most of the record industry)

MM Manual thingy - think it's called Music Management Manual - this is a good one for promoters and label peeps and isn't as expensive as the above!

Both list distributors/exporters/production companies/designers/press companies/pluggers/licensing & ad agencies etc

Having worked at bigger labels before and now with a smaller one my advise would be; don't take on too much at first. Start off small and build your label really slowly. Also - everyone you know is useful to you in some way - let them help you and you save heaps of wonga!

:bo:
This is great advice. Starting small is the way forward, good promotion.

If the music is good people will find it.
AlexCB
Regular
Regular

Post by AlexCB » Thu May 11, 2006 10:12 am

I gotta say it all seems to be about getting a good distributor, which can be really hard for a new label. Get a bunch of tracks sorted first, any from previously released producers would help, get the art done, promote yourself a bit and then contact them with everything then they might just listen to it! :shock:

As I say hard but well worth it in the end.
clur
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by clur » Thu May 11, 2006 11:33 am

can I just say that I didn't mean 'exploit' your friends for all they're worth and get them slaving away for you for nothing. I just meant that you don't always have to fork out shed loads of cash for some stranger to do a half arsed job when you 'might' know someone who can do a much better job for half....that kinda thing :D
foxington
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxington » Thu May 11, 2006 11:40 am

yeah yeah, whatever ;)

what about setting up a net label...?
Questy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Questy » Thu May 11, 2006 11:44 am

i didn't read all this thread but man, u have a great brand already in supatronix, you'd be a fool to call the label anything else. You have a great headstart already in that respect.

also, careful of your distro..don't go with the usual ones who ship out 15 releases a week and your records gets lost into obscurity selling only 500. Take your time and get a plan together for a good one.
Dancefloor Terrorist
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Dancefloor Terrorist » Thu May 11, 2006 11:47 am

The International Management Forum runs very useful courses at the PRS building in London- covering everthing from Carnets to dealing with Alcoholism and drugs.

Another useful book is Showcase (Much better than the MW Directory I'm afraid)

If you're looking to the first release then please ensure that you have 3 or 4 tracks to follow up your success with...

44NoMore
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Thu May 11, 2006 12:05 pm

yeah i would definitely reckon get a bunch of tracks sorted that you're well well confident in and happy with, and then try and release 3 or 4 singles in relatively quick succession to get people's attention (thinking back to how the breakfastaz made such an impact with their 3 EP series etc....)
Groove Diggerz
Regular
Regular

Post by Groove Diggerz » Thu May 11, 2006 12:17 pm

if you need distribution thenpm me or hook me up on msn, i can hook you up with a good deal
Groove Diggerz - Funky Heroes / LFO (with Plaza De Funk/Adsorb and Signal Driver remixes) Out NOW

uncle jam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle jam » Thu May 11, 2006 12:54 pm

Get your tunes to the big players in the scene ! if they play your tracks out, it will help with getting distribution !

If they can give testamonials to a distributer regarding your tunes and they even own there own label thats with a distributer you want hookin up with, even better !!

Try and give it to them in person if you can, they will remeber you
imagine how many tunes they get sent through the post or online !

Get invovled in a publishing company also !

dont worry too much about fancy packaging worry about the content !!

enjoy what you do also !!!!!!
Jurassik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jurassik » Thu May 11, 2006 3:29 pm

questy wrote:i didn't read all this thread but man, u have a great brand already in supatronix, you'd be a fool to call the label anything else. You have a great headstart already in that respect.

also, careful of your distro..don't go with the usual ones who ship out 15 releases a week and your records gets lost into obscurity selling only 500. Take your time and get a plan together for a good one.
maybe you're right... will have a thunk
arooj
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Setting up a record label, Advice etc.

Post by arooj » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:21 am

I am new to the side by side world too. I would like a to find a diesel one as well. The problem that I am finding is that nobody makes one that will keep up with the gas ones. I have been looking at the Intimidator web site, and I think one of these and a turbo retrofitted on would make a snappy 
deepmixxer
Noob
Noob

Re: Setting up a record label, Advice etc.

Post by deepmixxer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:12 am

any more advice questions or comment on settin up /runin lables?
put tittys on everything... tittys make shit sell...
https://soundcloud.com/deepmixxer
https://www.facebook.com/deepmixxer

...:::Deepmixxer:::...

>>>>Reppin FLA Breaks till I DIE<<<<