What DJ controller should I buy?

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What DJ controller should I buy?

Post by jimmy brayks » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:57 pm

I want to buy a little DJ Controller I can hook up to play files from Serato DJ App, assuming all of these can do it and all work with my ancient MacBook Pro? Anyone got feedback on these?

Numark Party Mix
Numark DJ2GO2
Hercules P32DJ
Hercules DJ Control Compact
Pioneer DDJ-200

I have an aversion to buying Numark, never heard of Hercules, so guessing the Pioneer is the one to go for, it also being the most expensive
Purveyor of the egg-based setup™ since 2008
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: What DJ controller should I buy?

Post by El Huracan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:52 am

Hey Jim, I went down this route about 18 months ago and ended up spending a bit more and bought a pioneer XDJ RX2. Probs don’t want to go that expensive but I think Pioneer do some cheaper equivalent that works of USB keys rather than being laptop dependant. Just means If you want to keep it a more portable setup you can. Worth checking eBay for nearly new unused.

All of that said I sold mine as i found it pretty dull to use and with the rona hitting an gigs stopping it was sitting around so went back to me record decks.
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:22 pm

**googles XDJ RX2** - 1500 squids? Damn. Yeah, I've been roped in to play on nsb radio for NYE, so for an hour set I wasn't really thinking of spending that much.

Spent some time checking the above list out last night, not really sure if they are worth getting as most of them dont even have things like headphone volume control or mic input. Might just keep it software!
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:22 am

OK, randomly found this article - https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2020/12/5 ... llers-2021

5 best serato DJ controllers in 2021
Numark DJ2GO2 Touch

The DJ2GO2 Touch is a truly tiny device, that comes with Serato DJ Lite. This latest model, launched in 2020, adds jogwheels that you can actually scratch with – hence “Touch”.

There’s a sound card squeezed into that tiny body, so apart from the obviously limited controls, it has broadly what you’ll find in bigger controllers – and yet you can throw it into your holiday bag or even put it in your pocket!

It makes a great second controller or back-up controller, and while it lacks the controls for “serious” DJ sets (no EQ at all, for instance), I know of several “serious” DJs who have prepared and mixed whole radio shows on just one of these, on a plane for instance – and it’s a steal at this price.

Price: US$76
Maybe I just get it from Amazon and if its shite send it back
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 am

Fuck it £64 delivered in 9 hours, I'll take it
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 am

Yeah it looks like it will do the job. Check DJ Ace using one below

https://fb.watch/2ps85EazA1/
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:27 pm

As a cutting edge tech supremo my new DJ controller works with Serato software that isn't compatible with Big Sur on the Mac! Anyone running Big Sur and can recommend other software? Virtual DJ perhaps?