Nu-Funk, Funky Breaks - Differences?

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Re: Nu-Funk, Funky Breaks - Differences?

Post by Protoplasym » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:03 am

I took a quick gander through the tunes in that Nu Funk DRAFT Playlist you shared.... cool funky breaks from the late 90's is what they remind me of.
freewave
Noob
Noob
Twitter: freewavesynth

Post by freewave » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:12 am

Protoplasym wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:03 am
I took a quick gander through the tunes in that Nu Funk DRAFT Playlist you shared.... cool funky breaks from the late 90's is what they remind me of.
Yeah there's not a massive differences between the midtempo funky breaks of the 90's and the midtempo funky Nu-Funk of the late 00's. In many ways they wanted to keep the vibe (but change the name). It is a little more organic with the beats so they emphasize the natural drum vs a super compressed drum leading the track...

Nu Funk.Blogspot
Nu Funk Forum
Nu Funk VS Nu Funk in the battle for the soul of the community
Funking Up Nu Funk Tagged
Funky Mid-Tempo Breaks / Nu-Funk Recommendations
Nu Funk Recomendations
Nu Funk site
The difference between nu-funk and ghetto funk
Nu Funk / Ghetto Funk List

I did check in with discogs user RoryHoy and he thumbed up my selections for my list and even had a few more to add if i wanted. :yesyes:
Thank you so much for sending over these playlists - they bring back a lot of memories. I did that discogs list a very long time ago, and it probably needs updating. If you need any additional tracks for your playlist - here are some suggestions

Nu-Funk

2 Fat Buddhas - Wheel ‘em In (Nu-Funk during the Big Beat era back in 1997)
Max Sedgley - Happy (this one also had a Fatboy Slim remix)
A-Skillz & Krafty Kuts - A Krafty Symphony
DJ Regal - Shock Ya Mind (Take It On Back)
A-Skillz - Beat Don’t Stop
Hayz - Ghetto Base (Nick Fonkynson Remix)
Rory Hoy - B-Boy Theme (Me!)
Mr B.I.R.D. - Octopus Blues (one of my favourites)
Featurecast - Party Starter
Rory Hoy - Tonite (Me!)
DJ Rudd - Dang
DJ Daigo - B-Boy Funk
Rory Hoy feat. Ashley Slater - Hey Everybody! (VERY ESSENTIAL TUNE, even if I say so myself!)

Ghetto Funk

Capoeira Twins - Four 4X3 (Mr Scruff Remix) (Ghetto Funk before Ghetto Funk existed)
A-Skillz - California Soul (Classic)
The Funk Hunters - Shake The Room!
WBBL - Super Disco Ferdinand
Neon Steve - Next Episode
Myniemo - Mixmaster Rabbit (Rory Hoy Remix) (Me again!)
Diplo - Express Yourself
Bobby C Sound TV - Ian’s Delight
Tonic - The Way
Phibes - Came To Get Down
Gramophone Soul & Rory Hoy - Wild Style (me again!)
Krafty Kuts - Boom (new one)

If I can think of any more tunes, I’ll let you know! All good tunes in your selection - no duff ones here!

PS: Not really in those genres, but here’s a preview of my latest with Ashley Slater, which will be out on Friday 13th March
https://soundcloud.com/rory-hoy/everybo ... er-preview
:tuna: The Ultimate Way to Explore Genres
"I'm a teacher.............but I'm also a student" ~ Dj Shadow :tuna:
freewave
Noob
Noob

Post by freewave » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:58 am

I made an expanded Nu Skool Breaks set. https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScien ... ol-breaks/

Also went back and made a 90's Midtempo Breaks Set https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScien ... po-breaks/

:mix:

Some more Breaks sets on the way soon. Tweets have the Ytube / Spotify Playlists
Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Protoplasym » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:03 pm

freewave wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:58 am
I made an expanded Nu Skool Breaks set. https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScien ... ol-breaks/

Also went back and made a 90's Midtempo Breaks Set https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScien ... po-breaks/

:mix:

Some more Breaks sets on the way soon. Tweets have the Ytube / Spotify Playlists
I'll have to check those out at some point. Thank you for taking the time to share with the community :yesyes: ... especially considering how slow this forum is. ;)
freewave
Noob
Noob

Post by freewave » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:49 pm

Yeah its a shame that this forum is so vacant as this really should be the place for good feedback and input. But alas. Forum's die out.
Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Protoplasym » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:21 pm

freewave wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:49 pm
Yeah its a shame that this forum is so vacant as this really should be the place for good feedback and input. But alas. Forum's die out.
The main problem is that we get old and die...
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:25 pm

Would love to resurrect the forum. But this software is really shit and old and I don't think that helps. Moderating is a thankless tiring task, the software is even slower for admins, and we are inundated with spam. Weirdly been talking about ways to resurrect this community recently, although not this forum software, but maybe another software.

As for nufunk, I start nufunk.co.uk as i love the music, and i felt that people like Craig Charles and Giles Peterson were playing a lot of really cool music that seemed too dance floor for "funk" in the traditional sense. A few people called it NuFunk and I went with that. And then I was told in no uncertain terms by several industry people that they hated the name and they were banning it from their flyers/listings/output etc. So hard to write and big up an industry if some of the main players are basically tell you they don't want to know and won't support you. All those people in that thread "I'll gladly lend a hand" quickly post, but quickly evaporate once tasks are dolled out. Ghetto Funk the music and the brand AFAIK is one and the same, and again, they don't want to be nufunk as they don't own that term and/or dont like that term.

I took over Breakspoll as I love the music, but then the DJs decided they wanted to read TimeOut and live in Hoxton and be cool and not play "breaks" and not be "breaks" and refused to play for Breakspoll. Whats the point of running something that costs you money to do that DJs dont want and punters don't want to pay for?

Both nufunk and Breakspoll had the same issue - the DJs/the scene players didn't want it - and without them, there is little point in doing anything to promote them. Of course, those players made the right decision didn't they? Most of them are all headlining the checkouts at Tescos every Friday night instead at the top of thriving music scenes.
Purveyor of the egg-based setup™ since 2008
T.R.O.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Twitter: tromusic

Post by T.R.O. » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:08 am

I hope you don't feel as bitter as your post sounds! Thanks for all the things you did for us. :love: :cheer:
Danny
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Danny » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 am

T.R.O. wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:08 am
I hope you don't feel as bitter as your post sounds! Thanks for all the things you did for us. :love: :cheer:
He's got a point though.
ImageImage
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:36 pm

I still moderate a dead forum :lol:

I think a software change and relaunch is what's needed. Competition for unsigned tracks to be released on a compilation would be a good idea. We did that once before as I remember and it went down well.

The production forum always seemed to have a good rep. Off topic not so much...

I notice a lot of people seem to be unable to log into their old accounts too, as we have a lot of people turning up with new names.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 pm

There's definitely still a lot of folks around who love the breaks. It'll never be house or techno, but there's a lot of love.
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 am

shaman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:36 pm

I think a software change and relaunch is what's needed. Competition for unsigned tracks to be released on a compilation would be a good idea. We did that once before as I remember and it went down well.

I notice a lot of people seem to be unable to log into their old accounts too, as we have a lot of people turning up with new names.
I agree with everything you've said.

Its a shame to call it dead, I don't think it's quite there.

We've got the https://support.nsbradio.co.uk system now, so if people want their old accounts sorted out they should just email in there with as much information as they remember. The forum doesnt have a system in place to restore accounts if you don't have access to the old email address, and as we're talking 20 years this is mostly hotmail and yahoo emails that are long abandoned!
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:24 am

T.R.O. wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:08 am
I wouldn't say bitterness, more like disappointment
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:25 pm

man still plays breaks.
Protoplasym
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by Protoplasym » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:20 pm

shaman wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:36 pm

This sounds interesting.