Vinyl Solution. Giving Up DJing.

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

LeeUnderpass
Lurker
Lurker

Vinyl Solution. Giving Up DJing.

Post by LeeUnderpass » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:29 am

Hey all,

Been a long time since I visited the forum.

Some of you might remember my Comedown Sessions on NSB Radio, some of you I've met at Breakspoll and NSB parties.

I've become totally disillusioned, not with Breaks, but with DJing and production in General.
Mid-30s are hitting me hard. I quit producing tunes as Underpass in 2014, and have sold a lot of my studio gear.

Anyone else hitting the wall, or is it just me?

Obviously I'm selling all my vinyl, but I'm not going to be crass enough to post the link. PM me if interested. x

Lee
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Vinyl Solution. Giving Up DJing.

Post by shaman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:33 am

I don't really use the decks anymore, or keep up with new music (or the old music).

Still planning to keep the decks set up and the vinyl on the shelves though. May show the youngster in years to come.

I guess the combination of loads of labels going and nights stopping took away a lot of the incentive to even bother.
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:30 am

LeeUnderpass wrote:Mid-30s are hitting me hard. I quit producing tunes as Underpass in 2014, and have sold a lot of my studio gear.

Anyone else hitting the wall, or is it just me?

Lee
If its the only outlet for your creativity then I suspect that in time you may return to it, in which case it might be worth keeping some of your stuff. Getting rid of any vinyl you don't really want is very liberating but keep your favourites.

Dont give up, just do it for your own listening pleasure and do away with any expectations. Suddenly it becomes a lot more enjoyable 8)
jimmy brayks
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by jimmy brayks » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:31 am

I haven't become disillusioned with it, I just don't make the time for DJing, and can't dedicate so much space and money to it when other things become more important. Every few months I'll get a really bad desire to have a go on some decks for an hour or so, but it passes. I'm in the process of selling off my vinyl, mid-way from 5000-odd to 250-odd, and it is liberating. I sold my technics 8 years ago, my CDJs 5 years ago, and I think I'd like to buy 1x Technics now to play my left over vinyl on, just because they mean so much to me and my life. And they look cool.
So just go with it, the skills aren't going anywhere dude
Purveyor of the egg-based setup™ since 2008