Avoid.

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Duane Barry
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Avoid.

Post by Duane Barry » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:05 pm

^ yeah sucks but you know it's nice to put music out there to share with everyone. I would even go as far to say as it's a major factor in keeping the breaks scene going to be honest.

Obviously there is a bit of money to be made and even though it's not a lot it's better than nothing and something people can put towards to new VST or something :D
daniella downs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by daniella downs » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm

or a 303 pillow, which i want so bad it hurts, but not 90 some odd euors badly.
ian l malphunktion l daniella downs
Malphunktion l Symbiotic l My Facebook
nic_ wrote:THIS IS IS FUCKEN BREAKS FORUM
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:26 pm

daniella downs wrote: we'd all be raking it in like it was not 2010
:lol:
FreerangeOlly
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by FreerangeOlly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:04 pm

daniella downs wrote:
FreerangeOlly wrote:We did a remix for Drew and never got paid.... I know the Lethalness boys from Gibraltar have had the same thing.

What a cunt.
did the release make enough to cover costs?

i think this is a common misconception - that your release is going to make enough to make you money. in this day in age - you're lucky to.

that's not so much directed to you, but in general to everyone who's venting in this thread.

especially the afghan boys, who make crap :wink: (i say that having emailed them recently praising the living shit out of their drop the beat remix)

clodhoppa wrote:ask to see the sales sheets.
this. if it's something that you need to see to feel better about the situation - any label worth a shit will show you.
Not sure to be honest, we just lowed it. It was one of our 1st releases so we did not really really approach the matter. Was only seeing this thread that even made me think about all to be fair :) Long forgotten!

PS Afghans "Drop that Beat" rmx FTW! :pimp:
8-B1T
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by 8-B1T » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 pm

So the moral of the story is ____________________________ .
M.I. Loki
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by M.I. Loki » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:27 pm

daniella downs wrote:
plazadefunk wrote:Nope, the original is registered in the original artist's name and that's the person who gets the prs.

Isn't the US equivalent of PRS Ascap/Bmi? It's a huge organization that hands out plenty of money as far as I know...
what i mean is there are so many less stations that play dance music here than there.

correction - so many less stations that play the type of music we put out than there.

why does it go to the original producer if it wasnt their arrangement of that got the radio play? that makes no sense to me. especially considering half the remixes out there are a brand new tune!
The money goes to the original producer as standard because of the old days when a remixer would literally just rearrange the parts and therefore not really create anything new, ergo no new copyrights. These days that's totally changed but it seems to have remained something of a grey area. It is possible for the remixer to claim that they have added enough original creativity to it to warrant a separate copyright but then there would still be payments due to the original artist for melodies, sounds etc and technically if a decision couldn't be made about percentage divisions on this a judge would need to be involved. This is an area where music law becomes incredibly complicated (and expensive) with no real black and white answer, probably not worth it at this level. Another reason why a remixer deserves a decent fee upfront as, essentially they are forfeiting any future royalties should that remix get serious radio love or even a massive sync on the next hollywood blockbuster (you never know!).

Technically speaking mind you, if the label doesn't provide a tight contract then the remixer could play along and, should it become big then could sue for royalties in retrospect and prove at that point that sufficient creativity was involved in that particular version. If you take the great gig in the sky as precedent then even a standard contract couldn't prevent such an occurence ;)
M.I. Loki
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by M.I. Loki » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:30 pm

I meant to add badbwoy bass sucks at the end of that :evil:
drewdown2016
Lurker
Lurker

Post by drewdown2016 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 am

I am very sorry to everyone that contributed music to Badbwoy Bass Records. Quest thanks for letting everyone know that i actually paid you back!
I did everything with the best intentions and I was just in it for the music, I thought I would make money, but unfortunately I was not transparent, I had no integrity and I was a mess.

I am willing to pay the royalty payments to artists who made any money after marketing and mastering fees if that is applicable to your release.
I am now a man of principal and I do have many regrets as to how BBB went down.

I am truly sorry, I am happy to see that most of you are still making music and now successful. Your first release may have very well been on BBB.
Actions are louder than words, PM me your contact info, I will provide you with Symphonic's Login to my label and you can see for yourself what you are owed and I will pay you!

Ya know I considered all of you friends but my actions spoke otherwise so I am not angry at your comments, I am the reason you made assumptions.
the sales sheets are available to any artist who released music again, you can have your money.

Beyond that I wish you all the best.
drewdown2016
Lurker
Lurker

Post by drewdown2016 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:29 am

Last night I posted a reply now that it has been close to a decade.
1. I am very sorry to everyone who contributed to the label Badbwoy Bass Records.
2. Everyone on the label who released a profitable release will be paid according to your contract.
3. All I wanted to do is make music.
4. Any artist will have access to Symphonic Reports.

Sorry for your troubles., I am glad to see that some of you who released your first tracks with me are doing very well today!
Congrats.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:01 pm

I think they're all on benefits now tbh.
Doomo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Doomo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:05 am

:facepalm:
nic_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by nic_ » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:17 am

LOL, drew m8 dont worry

im pretty sure you dont owe anyone anything - you put their 'music' out so they arer actually indebted to you for exposure IMO
without BBB to start their careers....they would be no where today

keep on release those bang3Rz
alex_virr
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by alex_virr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:27 pm

just doing it for the love of the scene brah
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR