Avoid.

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Kraymon
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Avoid.

Post by Kraymon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:13 pm

yeah i think a remix should go 50/50.
always been a bit miffed by that.
edb
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by edb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:13 pm

hangover from the old days i guess. I wonder how much of an issue it might be to re-register the remixed track as a collaborative new work? :chin:
Henry D
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Henry D » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:59 pm

As far as paying artists and remixers up front... I pay no one up front.. why should I? Even having a big name remix doesn't alway equal good sales. Any label paying upfront fees is desperate and unaware of the risks involved in releasing music. EVERY release is a gamble. Me and the artists I work with take the risk togther. Its a partnership. And I treat all artists the same regardless of who they are. Same deal for everyone. It's contracted and I pay what I owe. Only once have I had issues with paying artists and that was because my distributor took all of my digital revenue for a half of a year without my concent.. not to mention that it totally went against our distro agreement. Even then, I notified every artist involved and even forwarded them the emails between me and my distro at the time so they would see it was not me that had shit them.

I pay what I owe and even provide screen shots of beatport's baseware and statements when asked. I take pride in having a good name as a fair label. Labels that do not pay as agreed definitely make trust any issue with many artists. There are plenty of honest and professionally ran labels out there. Artists need to research labels before doing business with them and not just jump at the first offer to sign their track.

I've had artists make $50 on a release and I've had artists make $1000+ .. as much as we'd like to predict how good sales are going to be, we never really know until its out there and on the market. So many factors can affect sales of a release. You just have to put together a good package and hope for the best. Most of all you have to take the good with the bad. If an artist only makes $50.. that means I made less than $50!
Henry D
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Henry D » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:03 pm

plazadefunk wrote:
daniella downs wrote:there's no prs money for remixes?

as far as i know, we dont have prs or an equivalent in the states (well, we do technically i guess, but it's so much fewer and far between that i dont even bother with it)
Nope, the original is registered in the original artist's name and that's the person who gets the prs.

Isn't the US equivalent of PRS Ascap/Bmi? It's a huge organization that hands out plenty of money as far as I know...
I've been with ASCAP as a publisher for 2 years.. havent' recieved any royalties in that 2 years from US radio play..
Jurassik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jurassik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:09 pm

it's up to you at the end of the day really isn't it. I'm thinking about only doing remixes for a very small upfront fee in future. but that's because I've got my own label, and I'd rather do music to help that label than help someone else's equally small label, when the chances are I'm going to get about £50. But I don't blame the labels ... they're just trying to get off the ground.

of course this might change if I actually got offered a remix from a big label :chin:
daniella downs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by daniella downs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Maybe you should apologize to meat katie :lol:
ian l malphunktion l daniella downs
Malphunktion l Symbiotic l My Facebook
nic_ wrote:THIS IS IS FUCKEN BREAKS FORUM
Jurassik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jurassik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:34 pm

daniella downs wrote:Maybe you should apologize to meat katie :lol:
I think Mark finds my musical antagonism more amusing than anything else
daniella downs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by daniella downs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:54 pm

as we find his amusing responses to you the same
billvega
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by billvega » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm

It's not just a case of 1 artist not being paid, if it was just that and for a very low sum (although i don't see how the amount matters, it's the principle) then this wouldn't have become public. I wouldn't have made my situation known had others not already started to, but i thought it right that other artists were made aware of this labels (self admitted) poor management so i decided to give my 2 pence worth. There are many other artists who i have spoken to who would rather not have their opinions public but i don't give a fuck frankly.

I'm owed a 'fair' amount because i also own the rights to to a FFS remix. When you consider these amounts that have been paid to him from various releases on the label (Symphonic distribution have confirmed their payments to him so he has 100% defo had the $) it must come to a tidy sum. He has promised to make payment but no one has seen it. I have seen the sales sheets.

I have given him the opportunity to comment on this thread so we will see if he does, i'm not holding my breath. It's not just the non-payment either, i was warned by many people about him when i first signed but i guess i'm a too trusting person, until they fuck me over then i'll give them the benefit of the doubt, unfortunately it seems i got burnt anyway. Having said all of that i always found Drew professional in his dealings but he has severley let his label down by this fuck up.
Afghan Headspin
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Afghan Headspin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:28 am

is someone making money out of releasing music round here?

i always thought it was an expensive business card for getting dj work, and if you can get a label to pay the costs you're winning!

communication is the key.
BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES for Afghan Headspin EMAIL >>> agency@rocstar.com
billvega
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by billvega » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Afghan Headspin wrote:is someone making money out of releasing music round here?

i always thought it was an expensive business card for getting dj work, and if you can get a label to pay the costs you're winning!

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here fella? :?
Afghan Headspin
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Afghan Headspin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 am

billvega wrote:
Afghan Headspin wrote:is someone making money out of releasing music round here?

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here fella? :?
just trying to point out theres not always money to be made releasing music :cow:
Afghan Headspin
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Afghan Headspin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 am

billvega wrote:It's not just a case of 1 artist not being paid, if it was just that and for a very low sum (although i don't see how the amount matters, it's the principle) then this wouldn't have become public. I wouldn't have made my situation known had others not already started to, but i thought it right that other artists were made aware of this labels (self admitted) poor management so i decided to give my 2 pence worth. There are many other artists who i have spoken to who would rather not have their opinions public but i don't give a fuck frankly.

I'm owed a 'fair' amount because i also own the rights to to a FFS remix. When you consider these amounts that have been paid to him from various releases on the label (Symphonic distribution have confirmed their payments to him so he has 100% defo had the $) it must come to a tidy sum. He has promised to make payment but no one has seen it. I have seen the sales sheets.

I have given him the opportunity to comment on this thread so we will see if he does, i'm not holding my breath. It's not just the non-payment either, i was warned by many people about him when i first signed but i guess i'm a too trusting person, until they fuck me over then i'll give them the benefit of the doubt, unfortunately it seems i got burnt anyway. Having said all of that i always found Drew professional in his dealings but he has severley let his label down by this fuck up.
i wont lie!! i hadn't read this... doh. my bad

:drink:
hubie
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by hubie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:52 pm

shaman wrote:it shouldn't matter how much it is that is owed should it?

this is a business in which you do lots of little jobs, so if everyone decides it's not worth bothering writing a cheque, you get jack shit.

i have a problem when a shop tries to tell me they don't have enough change, so they want to short-change me 1p.

don't matter to me whether it's 1p or a ten pound note.
that reminds me, I owe Nathan at the Old Red Cow 50p. Cheers
FILTRONIKS
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

Post by FILTRONIKS » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 am

if you do receive anything from a release how can you find out you're getting what you've actually made and not just a cut of a cut??
FreerangeOlly
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by FreerangeOlly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:04 am

We did a remix for Drew and never got paid.... I know the Lethalness boys from Gibraltar have had the same thing.

What a cunt.
innocent bystander
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by innocent bystander » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Narrator wrote:if you do receive anything from a release how can you find out you're getting what you've actually made and not just a cut of a cut??
ask to see the sales sheets.
daniella downs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by daniella downs » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:16 pm

FreerangeOlly wrote:We did a remix for Drew and never got paid.... I know the Lethalness boys from Gibraltar have had the same thing.

What a cunt.
did the release make enough to cover costs?

i think this is a common misconception - that your release is going to make enough to make you money. in this day in age - you're lucky to.

that's not so much directed to you, but in general to everyone who's venting in this thread.

especially the afghan boys, who make crap :wink: (i say that having emailed them recently praising the living shit out of their drop the beat remix)

clodhoppa wrote:ask to see the sales sheets.
this. if it's something that you need to see to feel better about the situation - any label worth a shit will show you.
Duane Barry
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Duane Barry » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:38 pm

^ with regards to sales sheets sometimes I feel a bit embarassed when I send them to some artists (mainly new boys!) but it is what it is.
daniella downs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by daniella downs » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:56 pm

yeah, i agree. sometimes you (the label) can think a particular mix is super awesome, but the buying public just doesnt agree. on the new boys thing - i've had to have the "you're not going to make anywhere near as much as you think" talk with people before, and now when dealing with new artists, i go out of my way to say it upfront, so that there are no illusions when something hasnt sold. i'll gladly show anyone a sales sheet if they think they think i am cheating them.

as far as df goes - honestly, there's 2 seperate remixes in particular that i loved massively. like more than most other things we've put out. neither sold half as much as i liked them. surprised me, but alas, something about a proverbial cookie and the way it crumbles.

in a perfect world, we'd all be raking it in like it was not 2010. but at this point, it's a labour (see what i did there?) of love. most of us do it because we love it, not because it's making us boucoup monies.