Surya Club/ West / Hubie

The place to discuss the latest in good music - debate, appreciate, reviews, videos, release information and promotional posts

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

funkjunkie
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Post by funkjunkie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Gutted to have missed the West Records Party!!

Definately check going to check out Surya this Friday!

Socials very own Richie Balboa and Benchmark are playing with the 101 connection boys! Will be fun!!

8)
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:21 pm

yes, i am not personally dissing adam or anything like that, just being honest! they would do better having the energy generating dancefloor and things like that but get rid of all the preachy nonsense and plasma screens which make it all seema bit daft and hypocritical.

also how does having decorations made of paper cups help? unless they were used ones?! which i very much doubt they were!
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Surya is the world’s first “ecological” nightclub – and it’s already getting flak from Friends of the Earth.

A spokesman said the club’s activities “are not compatible with Friends of the Earth’s work to promote low-carbon living, so we are concerned­ to see the company has used our logo without permission”.

But most have been won over by the efforts of Dr Earth, aka Andrew­ Charalambous, and his Club4Climate brand – despite­ the fact he’s really a 35-year-old property developer and qualified barrister worth £100m, has stood as a Conservative parliamentary candidate and worked for Boris Johnson’s mayoral ­campaign.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satell ... ionArticle
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:27 pm

emskina flange wrote:yes, i am not personally dissing adam or anything like that
it sounded like you called him a wanker tbh
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:32 pm

how did it sound like that?! i didnt even know he was anything to do with it until after i wrote the review?! anyway he didnt design the club did he?! some tory millionaire who calls himself 'dr earth' did!
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:33 pm

señor steelz wrote:
emskina flange wrote:yes, i am not personally dissing adam or anything like that
it sounded like you called him a wanker tbh
:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew this was coming :lol:
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:33 pm

look, its a good little club for a laugh, but eco it certainly is not! sorry if saying that makes it sound as if adam is a wanker but i don't think he is?! unless he too is alaso a 35 year old tory property developer using the current obsession with being 'green' to get people to go clubbing and get drunk.
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:35 pm

a review from another site, from someone who presumably does not know adam, just to make everyone double sure i wasnt just saying all this to be a bitch!!

......Now, as all who know me will testify, I am no stranger to hyperbole but on this occassion my compulsive exageration has been rendered redundant. I've been to, nay worked in, some festering ratholes in my time but this place really is the worst club in the world. The proprietor, Dr Earth (who incidentally looks just like Dr Evil), clearly demonstrates his contemptful cyncism and utter lack of comprehension of environmental issues with charming touches such as giant plasma screens adorning the walls, a chandelier made from brand new biros and Cristal Champagne on the menu for £350 a pop. There is a bizarre display of potted plants in a cubby hole under a sign that reads "Hydroponics, the new horticulture, in which plants can be grown without soil or daylight under hydroponic light. These plants, which are in soil by the way and not a hydroponic system in which plants are grown in water, under a massive (and clearly energy inefficient) light. Of course, how stupid of me - I was thinking that daylight was an environmentally friendly way of growing plants when all along what I really needed was a whacking great multi-kilowatt lamp to be truly green. Even if you are not bothered by this hideous hypocrisy and poorly executed gimmickery and you need another reason not to visit this dump I can furnish you with an excellent one. The toilets cubicles are see-through. Yes, you did read correctly, the toilet cubicles are see-through! Using those facilities was one of the more humaliating experiences of my adult life. I could go on about the failings of this place ad nauseum but I must prioritise in order to let someone else have someone else have a nice, cathartic moan about this monstrosity so I will leave you with one final observation. Who in their right mind wants to be reminded that "every three seconds a child dies from poverty", while joyfully bowing to the twin gods of self-indulgence and consumerism in the name of fun ... not me mate.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:35 pm

An environmental charity and 'ecological nightclub' are involved in a war of words over a fund-raising bash in Ibiza. Club4Climate, an eco clubbing brand that SmartPlanet's written about and filmed, is holding a party on 27 August which it claims will raise money for Friends of the Earth USA. In reply, the charity has issued a damning statement saying "aircraft emit large quantities of heat-trapping gases, and the idea of flying somewhere to have a party is antithetical to fighting global warming."

The heated exchange follows on the heels of Club4Climate (C4C) using the logo of Friends of the Earth (FOE USA) without the charity's permission. The C4C website says "Friends of the Earth in no way supports or endorses the activities of C4C, but we're going to give them the money anyway."

The FOE USA statement notes "Friends of the Earth does not support Club4Climate and has not given it permission to use its logo. We are not accepting financial contributions from Club4Climate."

http://www.smartplanet.com/news/leisure ... claims.htm
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:36 pm

emskina flange wrote:a review from another site, from someone who presumably does not know adam, just to make everyone double sure i wasnt just saying all this to be a bitch!!

......Now, as all who know me will testify, I am no stranger to hyperbole but on this occassion my compulsive exageration has been rendered redundant. I've been to, nay worked in, some festering ratholes in my time but this place really is the worst club in the world. The proprietor, Dr Earth (who incidentally looks just like Dr Evil), clearly demonstrates his contemptful cyncism and utter lack of comprehension of environmental issues with charming touches such as giant plasma screens adorning the walls, a chandelier made from brand new biros and Cristal Champagne on the menu for £350 a pop. There is a bizarre display of potted plants in a cubby hole under a sign that reads "Hydroponics, the new horticulture, in which plants can be grown without soil or daylight under hydroponic light. These plants, which are in soil by the way and not a hydroponic system in which plants are grown in water, under a massive (and clearly energy inefficient) light. Of course, how stupid of me - I was thinking that daylight was an environmentally friendly way of growing plants when all along what I really needed was a whacking great multi-kilowatt lamp to be truly green. Even if you are not bothered by this hideous hypocrisy and poorly executed gimmickery and you need another reason not to visit this dump I can furnish you with an excellent one. The toilets cubicles are see-through. Yes, you did read correctly, the toilet cubicles are see-through! Using those facilities was one of the more humaliating experiences of my adult life. I could go on about the failings of this place ad nauseum but I must prioritise in order to let someone else have someone else have a nice, cathartic moan about this monstrosity so I will leave you with one final observation. Who in their right mind wants to be reminded that "every three seconds a child dies from poverty", while joyfully bowing to the twin gods of self-indulgence and consumerism in the name of fun ... not me mate.
Ha. I read that. Her name is Emma you know...
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:37 pm

emskina flange wrote:adam is a wanker
see? you did it again
That Girl DJ
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by That Girl DJ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:38 pm

What were the beds made of sand that you could heat up all about, that's what I want to know.

Did Hubie try to snort any of it after I left? :crack:
ag4111 wrote:Woop Woop it's the Sound of the Habib
Al.
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Al. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Mmm quite a debate arising....well, make up your own mind peeps -

http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=103219

This is the final weekend that is free entry too - so stop by for a nose.... :D
19/10/12 - Fractured Funk @ The Funky End Bar, Aldershot
27/10/12 - Rockit Science Halloween Disco @ The Lockside Lounge

(w) http://www.the101connection.com
(e) the101connection@hotmail.co.uk
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:38 pm

i think that should put the matter to bed. i would hate to think that i couldnt give an opinion on a venue just becuase someone on here has a vested interest in it.
Al.
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Al. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm

señor steelz wrote:
emskina flange wrote:adam is a wanker
see? you did it again
:lol:

mishima
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by mishima » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 pm

emskina flange wrote:look, its a good little club for a laugh, but eco it certainly is not! sorry if saying that makes it sound as if adam is a wanker but i don't think he is?! unless he too is alaso a 35 year old tory property developer using the current obsession with being 'green' to get people to go clubbing and get drunk.
she did it again

;)

edit: FAIL too slow for obvious joks
Last edited by mishima on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bunny Beats | First Wednesday of the month 6-8pm | BrapFM
Mixes by Mishima
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 pm

señor steelz wrote:
emskina flange wrote:steelz told me he thought adam was a wanker for getting him to play in an eco club when he damn well knows steelz and his range rover selling arse has a carbon footprint the size of milton keynes
see? you did it again
oh yes so i did.
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:41 pm

you cunting gheys!
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Al. wrote:Mmm quite a debate arising....well, make up your own mind peeps -

http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=103219

This is the final weekend that is free entry too - so stop by for a nose.... :D
apparently it is free if you walk there or use a bike. although nobody appears to have confirmed how this will work.
Al.
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

Post by Al. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:42 pm

So your coming then Friday, Em? ;)