Psychological Discussion Thread

Anything not music related ends up in here - a place for our community to chat and joke. You need a thick skin to survive, and don't let the regulars put you off, they're (nearly) all a nice bunch of people.

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Bin Jesus
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Suicide

Post by Bin Jesus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Fandango, thanks for your question. If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you MUST satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. You can then ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with a power output not exceeding 11 kW on the public road, with L plates (in Wales either D plates, L plates or both can be used), for up to two years. Under direct access you can practise on a motorcycle that exceeds 125 cc provided that:
-you meet the minimum age for the category concerned
-you’re accompanied at all times by a qualified approved trainer, who is on another motorcycle and in radio contact with you
-fluorescent or reflective safety clothing is worn during supervision
-red L plates (D plates in Wales) are fitted and provisional licence restrictions followed.

Hope that helps and happy riding.
Fandango Baglips
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Fandango Baglips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:14 pm

I once knew a guy who collapsed during his CBT from nerves. Crashed his bike.

He also crashed after passing when he rode with his visor open and a daddy longlegs flew into his mouth.

He is dead now and weirdly enough, he killed himself. Took shitloads of drugs all the time and hung himself. I'll never know why.

I also know that's not what you mean by CBT
_fries
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by _fries » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:15 pm

Bless you Baglips :lol:

oh and PMed shaman :roll:
emskina flange wrote: free the number 1 a cut above some of these other bozos
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:20 pm

_fries wrote:Bless you Baglips :lol:

oh and PMed shaman :roll:
I fucking believed you then and deleted a message to take the pending one off hold and it was from Deano :facepalm:

tldr etc
Fandango Baglips
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Fandango Baglips » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:23 pm

That's because I'm very convincing and I'm always a very serious man.
LTJ_Nukem
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by LTJ_Nukem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:26 pm

ag4111 wrote:Suicide Tuesday in full effect
I realised a couple of weeks after the fact that my bro commited suicide on a Tuesday.

I genuinely couldn't help but laugh :lol:

:violin:
alex_virr wrote:I've probably read more science fiction that you have books of any kind in your entire life.

I've read enough already for 2 lifetimes.
Watoo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Watoo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:29 pm

I broadly agree with Deano about CBT and this government has consistently tried to shove people with serious and deep rooted problems onto CBT courses to save costs (but actually it has cost lives). That doesn't mean it doesn't work for many many people though.

PM'd etc...
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Watoo wrote:I broadly agree with Deano about CBT and this government has consistently tried to shove people with serious and deep rooted problems onto CBT courses to save costs (but actually it has cost lives). That doesn't mean it doesn't work for many many people though.

PM'd etc...
It's a fantastic therapy for rehabilitation of one-off mental trauma and short term, individual issues. It's also unfortunately a box ticker for health authorities for quick results, regardless of long term efficacy, due to cost. Health authorities don't want to spend money of longer term(and therefore more expensive) therapies when they can say they got a 'cure' in 6 sessions.
Dan Badbro_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Dan Badbro_ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:43 pm

shaman wrote:anyone else want to pm me to reinforce their negative views on CBT?

Raincheck?
~Lander~ wrote:I don't want too many sparkles in this
innocent bystander
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by innocent bystander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:45 pm

BLista wrote:
Watoo wrote:I broadly agree with Deano about CBT and this government has consistently tried to shove people with serious and deep rooted problems onto CBT courses to save costs (but actually it has cost lives). That doesn't mean it doesn't work for many many people though.

PM'd etc...
It's a fantastic therapy for rehabilitation of one-off mental trauma and short term, individual issues. It's also unfortunately a box ticker for health authorities for quick results, regardless of long term efficacy, due to cost. Health authorities don't want to spend money of longer term(and therefore more expensive) therapies when they can say they got a 'cure' in 6 sessions.
CBT helped my PTSD. Saved my life, really.

And it's not 'not wanting' to pay more, it's being unable to.
BLista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BLista » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:55 pm

innocent bystander wrote:
BLista wrote:

PM'd etc...
CBT helped my PTSD. Saved my life, really.

And it's not 'not wanting' to pay more, it's being unable to.
I'm glad. PTSD is precisely the kind of condition CBT is optimal for - one-off condition based on a single or series of recent traumas.

Pay more was referring to the NHS/Government
Last edited by BLista on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTJ_Nukem
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by LTJ_Nukem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:56 pm

shaman wrote:
LTJ_Nukem wrote:What a depressing bunch of quinces.
Do you wanna buy a picture? :lol:

https://www.artfinder.com/product/freedom-of-the-press/
Your images are now showing up all over any webpage with AdChoice online advertising on my work pc :lol:
alex_virr wrote:I've probably read more science fiction that you have books of any kind in your entire life.

I've read enough already for 2 lifetimes.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:57 pm

:lol: wahey!
mu_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by mu_ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:08 pm

i have never really come to terms with suicide in my family, but never really got close myself, just catatonic states.

my advice is bring the people close to you closer and talk to them often. if you don't that luxury then try to find a place (through housing, or activity) where nothing is expected of you and get involved in your proximities in whatever way you can and get involved in something that gives you a stability and a reason to be part of some kind of external existence. we are social creatures and we learn about ourselves through talking to others. suicide exists, it's a thing that was all the rage back in our teens, it's why the chicken crossed the road. robin williams is no reason to top yourself tho is it? give yourself some time to think more broadly about being alive. WTF is nature? what is space? what is time? what is reality? we don't even know that stuff, but we are here somehow and that is kind of an amazong starting point isn't it? why not play along? i have no idea really though. ultimately, i can't understand i can't fully empathise as i've not been there. life is weird, i know. just know that you'll be missed.
ag4111
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ag4111 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Even tetchsteppa aka darktech is the real tetchsteppa?
mu_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by mu_ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:16 pm

especially tetchsteppa aka darktech is the real tetchsteppa. bless hadouken.

Bigby
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Bigby » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 pm

innocent bystander wrote:Not the place. IMHO. If you've been considering it thn I advise seeking help. Professional help.
I have been. Their failures have been many and unforgivable. You managed to achieve more today than my Doctor in the last 6 weeks. This is my only place and has been for years. I have no friends, no family (well, my Dad is at the end of a phone).

You're right though. I need to leave this place again. It is part of my problem now.

But thank you for managing to do what you did. I wish I had a local friend as perceptive (and deeply good) as you.

Maybe one day I can be comfortable being perceived as a cunt. (sorry) x
tetchsteppa aka darktech is the real tetchsteppa wrote:
are you mad ?
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:37 pm

glad you're ok
a nsb user
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by a nsb user » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:49 pm

It would have been my mums birthday today. She ended her life about 9 years ago. She suffered with extreme depression after dealing with non-hodgkins lymphoma (cancer of the lymph glands) She attempted taking her life many times, turned into a different person, so small and sad and it was like the world she lived in was different to ours. She was in and out of hospitals, on different pills, nothing anyone did seemed to help. It wasn't a selfish act, it was because she was so tormented by a pain inside her life became unbearable, she could only see the worry and anguish she was causing her family. She was an amazing mum before she was ill, a nurse, sweet and kind, the person she was before was so far from selfish.

I don't know if we could have done anything to prevent it, maybe, maybe she would have always done it eventually. Maybe she would have got better.

Today I celebrated her birthday for her.

To anyone that is suffering, please talk to someone, please give tomorrow a chance to make things better, there will be people who love you and need you who want to help you, let them try.
a nsb user
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by a nsb user » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 pm

And I'd like to urge all of you, this being a male skewing forum, to take a look at this website. My friend does lots for them - https://www.thecalmzone.net/

might be helpful to you or a friend one day.

And bigby, please keep talking to people and looking for help if you need it, people do care about you. X