Psychological Discussion Thread

Anything not music related ends up in here - a place for our community to chat and joke. You need a thick skin to survive, and don't let the regulars put you off, they're (nearly) all a nice bunch of people.

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

Bigby
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Psychological Discussion Thread

Post by Bigby » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:03 am

Been weighing it up myself this last few months. Robin Williams death has blown me away. Desperate to hear others thoughts on suicide so I can further inform my perceptions.
tetchsteppa aka darktech is the real tetchsteppa wrote:
are you mad ?
innocent bystander
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Suicide

Post by innocent bystander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 am

Not the place. IMHO. If you've been considering it thn I advise seeking help. Professional help.

I tried it. Obviously failing. I couldn't foresee a life without legs, which was the option I was given. If I'd have succeeded I'd have missed out on 20 years of life, meeting my soul mate and being able to be there for those I care about.

I now don't see it as an option. I don't think you should either.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:11 am

Ultimately, it's a bit selfish isn't it?

I mean, I understand perfectly well how mental illness or life circumstances can drive people to it, but it never changes anything really and just leaves lots of people behind feeling upset and guilty.
Dan Badbro_
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Dan Badbro_ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:39 am

Brian,

If this is one of your "experiments" to gauge reaction, it is mis-timed and poorly judge.

If you are seriously considering harming yourself, please seek professional help. Please.

Please.
~Lander~ wrote:I don't want too many sparkles in this
innocent bystander
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by innocent bystander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:06 am

Ring 0300 5000101. Please.
Bin Jesus
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Bin Jesus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:10 am

David Foster Wallace wrote:The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. Yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don‘t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.
I strongly disagree with it being called selfish.

Having had it strike very close to home, albeit unsuccessfully, the above quote really helped me to rationalise and understand things from a perspective outside of my own. Personally i have a deep and ingrained feeling that as long as the potential for improvement exists i can ride out any situation and thats always managed to steer me when ive been feeling low.

Brian - pretty much what Dan said, difficult to tell what your angle is here but lets not make this something we look back on and say we should have done something...have you actually talked to anybody about this?
LTJ_Nukem
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by LTJ_Nukem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:19 am

Selfish is the last thing it is. I can't think of anything harder than carrying out your own death.
Last edited by LTJ_Nukem on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex_virr wrote:I've probably read more science fiction that you have books of any kind in your entire life.

I've read enough already for 2 lifetimes.
El Huracan
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by El Huracan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:49 am

i like shelfish. mainly cockles and mussles. i dont mind a crabfish tail too but my mrs thinks im a hove cunt for eating them. im not sure about welks tho
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:58 am

LTJ_Nukem wrote:Selfish is the last thing it is. I can't think harder than carrying out your own death.
Carrying on. Battling through. Seeking help. Seeing outside yourself. Dealing with your problems. They are all much harder imho.

Sorry for using the word selfish. Perhaps it is inappropriate, with connotations of self-importance, but I do believe depression makes people act in what we would call a selfish way, even if it's not something which is malicious or deliberate.
LTJ_Nukem
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by LTJ_Nukem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 pm

shaman wrote:
LTJ_Nukem wrote:Selfish is the last thing it is. I can't think harder than carrying out your own death.
Carrying on. Battling through. Seeking help. Seeing outside yourself. Dealing with your problems. They are all much harder imho.

Sorry for using the word selfish. Perhaps it is inappropriate, with connotations of self-importance, but I do believe depression makes people act in what we would call a selfish way, even if it's not something which is malicious or deliberate.
Nah I know what you mean. It's hard to think of it any other way since it's the ultimate decision you can take yourself that affects those around you.

There're some problems that cannot be overcome/dealt with/helped especially when it comes to mental health. If anything it's those left behind who end up with the selfish feelings. I know my I've had them and my rents. We would've given anything to have my brother back, even though his life became so terrible he felt he couldn't live it anymore.
alex_virr wrote:I've probably read more science fiction that you have books of any kind in your entire life.

_fries
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by _fries » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:43 pm

lost too many mans to suicide - 5 friends, one the best i ever had. none of them said anything beforehand either, so i tend to take people announcing their intention in a strange way and i guess i am dismissive of such statements. that said bigby, please go talk to someone qualified. you of anyone know the value in people trained in dealing with the mind.
emskina flange wrote: free the number 1 a cut above some of these other bozos
Watoo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Watoo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Had 2 friends kill themselves in the last 5 years. Both had issues with psychosis and depression but their suicide seemed to come out of the blue and appeared unplanned (neither left a note) - I would say in both cases they must have killed themselves out of pure terror, one day their demons came for them and took them. I have tried to respect their choice, though really I don't feel they were acting rationally at the time. I regret I could not have been there for them at the precise moment they needed my help but believe there may have been other times when I did save them.

Bigby I don't know you but if you really are thinking about suicide then go tell the person who loves you most about and see how it makes you feel about it. Tie yourself to this world as much as possible so that when your demons do come from you, you have the defenses to resist them.
_fries
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by _fries » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 pm

well said Watoo. fuck now i am really sad and feeling like drinking.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Well, I've just been referred for CBT again (yesterday).

I don't talk about it very much, but having a beautiful baby boy, doing something I love for a living, not being in my shitty dead end job and having effectively won at the tribunal game has not made me 'happy'.

So I keep on plugging away, hoping that I can overcome my demons to make this business work and support my family.
_fries
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by _fries » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 pm

good on you Shaman.

I never think far ahead and don't ever look back.
innocent bystander
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by innocent bystander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 pm

shaman wrote:Well, I've just been referred for CBT again (yesterday).

I don't talk about it very much, but having a beautiful baby boy, doing something I love for a living, not being in my shitty dead end job and having effectively won at the tribunal game has not made me 'happy'.

So I keep on plugging away, hoping that I can overcome my demons to make this business work and support my family.
It's shit when you line everything up and it still don't work.

That's the difference between actual Depression and feeling depressed. One passes naturally. The other hangs around.
LTJ_Nukem
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by LTJ_Nukem » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:12 pm

What a depressing bunch of quinces.

shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:14 pm

LTJ_Nukem wrote:What a depressing bunch of quinces.
Do you wanna buy a picture? :lol:

https://www.artfinder.com/product/freedom-of-the-press/
ag4111
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ag4111 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Suicide Tuesday in full effect
Watoo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran