Cunt

Anything not music related ends up in here - a place for our community to chat and joke. You need a thick skin to survive, and don't let the regulars put you off, they're (nearly) all a nice bunch of people.

Moderators: Plexus, jimmy brayks, NSB Mods

shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Indeed
he donated $15 million to a charity helping people fighting repossession.
Fandango Baglips
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Fandango Baglips » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 pm

The hedges must have been trimmed into some fancy shapes. Probably done by Edward scissorhands.
ag4111
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ag4111 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Nice work that man, i picked them up at 10p
Jim_Random
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jim_Random » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Yeah he is..... but I wish I could have done it!!
RAWR RHYTHMS - 2nd & 4th Sunday from 5-7pm GMT - Click banner for more info...
Jim's Thre3Style Comp Mix

Latest Show - http://www.mixcloud.com/RawrRhythms/

CHECK OUT SOME JIM RANDOM MIXES HERE ---> http://www.mixcloud.com/tag/jim-random/
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:25 pm

shaman wrote:Indeed
he donated $15 million to a charity helping people fighting repossession.
If you are going to quote something James, quote all of it
In 2007, after a group representing struggling homeowners hit out at Paulson’s 'obscene' profits, he donated $15 million to a charity helping people fighting repossession
that's his fucking spare change dude! the equivalent of us donating 10p to a homeless guy. bet you would do that too in return for a better image.
ag4111
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ag4111 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:27 pm

10p's quite generous
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:30 pm

This is what shares are for though innit. Making people money out of thin air.

If they had no shares, they wouldn't be subjected to these artificial movements in value that mean very little.

As for charity, I can't possibly comment on the motives of a man who gives $15 million to charity.

But if you and the Daily Mail indicate it was because someone criticized him, I'll accept that as gospel.
Keyop
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Keyop » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Yes he's a cnut but that's the nature of capitalism. it would be something different otherwise. what he's done is within the rules and he is only guilty of exploiting them well.
Slamming The Wasps From The Pure Apple Of Truth
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 pm

I don't know, he still doesn't look like the greatest human being ever to me
The news of Paulson's massive profits is likely to reignite the debate over the controversial practice of short selling.
Short sellers borrow and sell shares in the hope that they can buy them back for less in the future.
The practice was banned in September amid accusations it was fuelling the financial crisis.

Bank shares plunged across the board after the ban was lifted last week.
John Paulson pocketed an estimated $3.7 billion (£2.6 billion) last year by anticipating the collapse of the US subprime mortgage market.
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Born in the lower middle-class New York borough of Queens, John Paulson is the biggest-earning man in the world's top-earning industry. He took home $3.7bn (about £2bn) last year, putting him top of Alpha magazine's ranking of hedge fund managers.

He made this fortune by outsmarting Wall Street's top financial institutions. Unlike Citigroup, Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch, he predicted that the sub-prime mortgage industry would collapse - and he placed a huge bet on a downturn in home loans. Paulson's success from others' misfortune has drawn comparisons with George Soros, who made millions from the Bank of England's woes in 1992 by betting against the pound on Black Wednesday.
He forecast the collapse in Sub Prime.

The banks didn't see it coming.

He made $3.7 billion last year.

The banks have taken about $1000 billion in public money, caused a worldwide recession and put people out of work throughout the USA, Europe and beyond.
Danny
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Danny » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

i'm no expert, but i read that they tried to stop short selling several years ago and found out it actually hurt the market even more, so they listed the ban again. i have no idea how that should work, but as far as i understand it, short selling doesn't hurt the stock market at all.
ImageImage
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Keyop wrote:Yes he's a cnut but that's the nature of capitalism. it would be something different otherwise. what he's done is within the rules and he is only guilty of exploiting them well.
Oh yeah, everything that got us in the mess we are currently in was done within the rules, including giving mortgages to people who could obviously not pay their rates.

Capitalism needs corrections, corrections which have not been put in place due to greed and now we are all paying the price.

But if you believe it's right...
ag4111
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by ag4111 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 pm

shaman wrote:you and the Daily Mail
:lol:

:crusade:
shaman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by shaman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 pm

I wonder how many people's pensions depend on people like him to make money so they can retire without living in poverty.
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm

DualDenz wrote:i'm no expert, but i read that they tried to stop short selling several years ago and found out it actually hurt the market even more, so they listed the ban again. i have no idea how that should work, but as far as i understand it, short selling doesn't hurt the stock market at all.
not if it's done right, it's still not the most ethical of practices but you are correct - they had found that banning it actually stops liquidity.

however, it's not always done right

Investopedia wrote: However, short selling also has a dark side, courtesy of a small number of traders who are not above using unethical tactics to make a profit. Sometimes referred to as the "short and distort," this technique takes place when traders manipulate stock prices in a bear market by taking short positions and then using a smear campaign to drive down the target stocks. This is the mirror version of the pump and dump, where crooks buy stock (take a long position) and issue false information that causes the target stock's price to increase. Short selling abuse like this has grown with the advent of the Internet and the growing trend of small investors and online trading
I would bet my arse that this happens much more often than we are told.
Keyop
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Keyop » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 pm

plazadefunk wrote:
Keyop wrote:Yes he's a cnut but that's the nature of capitalism. it would be something different otherwise. what he's done is within the rules and he is only guilty of exploiting them well.
Oh yeah, everything that got us in the mess we are currently in was done within the rules, including giving mortgages to people who could obviously not pay their rates.

Capitalism needs corrections, corrections which have not been put in place due to greed and now we are all paying the price.

But if you believe it's right...
I don't believe it's right at all, it's completely abhorrent but it's the system that all our governments endorse and it's steered from the US and they are completely non-interventionist...land of the free...
Slamming The Wasps From The Pure Apple Of Truth
emskina flange
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by emskina flange » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:53 pm

bloody hell, fail to see how this guy is a cunt. he is a very sucessful businessman, he may donate all sorts of money to charity, not everyone feels the need to declare every penny. for example the masons give away millions every year, all of it anonymously and withot attention brought to it.

if however you are a subscriber of the you are either part ofthe problem or part of the solution frame of mind, i might suggest that working for UBS is hardly saving the planet now is it...
plazadefunk
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by plazadefunk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

emskina flange wrote:bloody hell, fail to see how this guy is a cunt. he is a very sucessful businessman, he may donate all sorts of money to charity, not everyone feels the need to declare every penny. for example the masons give away millions every year, all of it anonymously and withot attention brought to it.

if however you are a subscriber of the you are either part ofthe problem or part of the solution frame of mind, i might suggest that working for UBS is hardly saving the planet now is it...
:lol:

I just resigned ;)
djjd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by djjd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

Who is cn7t I cant see 1st page because pron filter went off :(