HOME   :  MUSIC DISCUSSION  :  MIXES & RADIO  :  PRODUCTION TIPS & TRACKS  :  EVENT LISTINGS
REGISTER  :  LOGIN  :  OFF TOPIC  :  NEW USERS  :  FORUM INFO
Go to NSB Radio - Online Breakbeat Radio Station
Go to NSB Radio - Online Breakbeat Radio Station
Launch Radio in WinAMP Launch Radio in Windows Media Player Launch Radio in RealPlayer Launch Radio in iTunes Launch Web Player
Launch Radio in WinAMP Launch Radio in Windows Media Player Launch Radio in RealPlayer Launch Radio in iTunes Launch Web Player
ON NOW :: NSB RADIO - BREAKS & BEATS RADIO - THE...

SHOW TIMETABLE
: CHAT ROOM : DOWNLOAD MP3 ARCHIVES
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:15 am 
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Great discussion here, makes a nice change

As Simon says in the indie article the breaks scene got too "sceneified" - too closed and insular - which means when the time came we weren't in a position to open our fucking minds and ears to take part (or even take some credit for) this huge, post dubstep explosion of interest in breakbeat-based music. As a result the breakbeat "scene" has been left stranded on a kind of isolated musical island, almost frozen in time rehashing tired ideas ad inifinitum.

I'm hammered. Hope this makes sense

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 am 
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

eliteforce wrote:

By the way, there is nothing more or less valid about electro / dubstep infused breaks tham there is deeper dubby-influenced stuff with academic rhythms. Just because I choose a certain sound palette for a track it doesn't somehow invalidate it as a piece of music - it's still an original piece of music, in the same way that that Tessela track takes it's soundset from a very tried & tested techno template.

This ^^

and this

kindCrime Recs wrote:

http://www.soundcloud.com/refracture
http://www.twitter.com/refracture

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:30 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Bah humbug, the only people being insular and close minded about Breaks are the ones whingeing about it on the internet.

People still go apeshit for tunes with breakbeats in them in the clubs and there's some wicked producers making awesome new styles of Breaks and having success that go largely un-noticed by people on here.

I've always said, musical genres are like an artistic movement, not a football team. It doesnt matter if people go off and make something else - it all goes in circles...

http://www.twitchypixel.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:33 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

prove it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Edit: Ah bollocks to it.

This forum has got to the point where its actually making me actually dislike listening/posting about new Breakbeat tunes. Hard to believe the website that's won Best Website in the world @ Breakspoll 5-odd years in a row has become the most concentrated source of negativity towards the Breakbeat scene I've ever seen.

The Radio family are one of the nicest, most open minded crews I've ever met but posting on here has just got depressing.

If anyone wonders why we don't see more newcomers to this forum, this thread would be a perfect example of why... :-(

http://www.twitchypixel.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 am 
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

Indeed Phil, Indeed

http://www.soundcloud.com/refracture
http://www.twitter.com/refracture

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:12 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

eliteforce wrote:
By the way, there is nothing more or less valid about electro / dubstep infused breaks tham there is deeper dubby-influenced stuff with academic rhythms. Just because I choose a certain sound palette for a track it doesn't somehow invalidate it as a piece of music - it's still an original piece of music

just because something is "original" doesn't mean its "good"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:22 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Phill 3-Parts wrote:
Edit: Ah bollocks to it.

This forum has got to the point where its actually making me actually dislike listening/posting about new Breakbeat tunes. Hard to believe the website that's won Best Website in the world @ Breakspoll 5-odd years in a row has become the most concentrated source of negativity towards the Breakbeat scene I've ever seen.

The Radio family are one of the nicest, most open minded crews I've ever met but posting on here has just got depressing.

If anyone wonders why we don't see more newcomers to this forum, this thread would be a perfect example of why... :-(

The reason there are no newcomers is because an insular *scene* (with no people that arent broducers and no external interest or influences beyond a group of bro'ed out dudes with massive vsts) has been constructed using the rotten fatty offcut left overs from what was the breaks fried chicken.

The wings and breasts got taken away to other chicken shops where they got all the new spices and a better crispy finish. Overtime they will go rotten as well - but for now it is 'well seen bruv' There is always some peasant who makes a job out of collecting the rubbish of others.

The reason you dislike listening to / posting about new breaks tunes is because they are rubbish and you have to force yourself to feel positive about something that is fundamentally boring and played out. If you liked it there would be no effort required and you would wake up happy or maybe anxious to share the great things you and your friends have heard. Just because you work at this chicken shop doesn't make it a good one, or even an edible one. You have to be fucking wasted to eat there IMO.
'Eurrggh bruv I aint no da eating at Brken Speaker Chikken 2nite - shit is filthy'

A chicken shop with no customers is not a happy sight. The shop up the road however has a new version of ketchup and a sign with Helvetica on it - people are clamouring to eat 'dat chiken'. It's essentially the same food but one feels like it has possibilities and outlook whereas the other one marches on with its Broeken Speaker Buster Chicken sign and lack of condiment. The chef is the same one they had that never managed to open his own shop 10 years ago.

I would love to open a chicken shop employing some fresh chicken chefs who know how to cook a classic chicken - maybe they can use an open fire rather than the filthy deep fry VST. What about if they cooked it in fat then finished it in a smoker using some next level spice combination.

REPOST REPOST

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:31 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

:lol: oh nic_

My apologies for expresing my opinion. I will do my best to enjoy mediocre music in future.

Regards,

A. Bufty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Location: Trying hard to not fuck it up with varying degrees of success.
Wtf is brostep anyway?

One day you know I might even record a mix, and when I do it will be here, don't hold your breath though ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:58 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

hubie wrote:

My apologies for expresing my opinion. I will do my best to enjoy mediocre music in future.

Regards,

A. Bufty.

:lol: :violin:
i didnt read ur onion TBH:

i only repost the same boring diluted analogy again and again and play my role on this forum.

everyone has a breakfast roll to play and this is mine.
do you not have a weekend thread to start? :chin:

we could make a breaKfast roll call and organise who says what and when in an official format if you like?

phil 3 parts : positive breaks related banter
nic: negative anti breaks related babble
shaman: nothing to contribute
doug: probing questions
hubie: dips feet on all sides of the fence at once. octopus posting.
ed: only person with intelligent once a month contribitions
tam: puzzling probing left field inspections often in .jpg form

TBH i think phil is the only one that has boundless postivoity here
everyone else is a cunt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Nah I was just responding to Phill an'ting innit. Not you, my literally-challenged antipodeon cousin. But yes, I agree with you. We are all cunts/trolls basically.

I doff my cap to Phill for his positivity, it is very admirable :bo:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

if only he could be trained not to listen to / speak about thattop10 beatport shit
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Location: Trying hard to not fuck it up with varying degrees of success.
nic_ wrote:
hubie wrote:

Regards,

A. Bufty.

:lol: :violin:
i didnt read ur onion TBH:

i only repost the same boring diluted analogy again and again and play my role on this forum.

everyone has a breakfast roll to play and this is mine.
do you not have a weekend thread to start? :chin:

we could make a breaKfast roll call and organise who says what and when in an official format if you like?

phil 3 parts : positive breaks related banter
nic: negative anti breaks related babble
shaman: nothing to contribute
doug: probing questions
hubie: dips feet on all sides of the fence at once. octopus posting.
ed: only person with intelligent once a month contribitions
tam: puzzling probing left field inspections often in .jpg form

TBH i think phil is the only one that has boundless postivoity here
everyone else is a cunt

Brostep is probing questions?

One day you know I might even record a mix, and when I do it will be here, don't hold your breath though ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next