HOME   :  MUSIC DISCUSSION  :  MIXES & RADIO  :  PRODUCTION TIPS & TRACKS  :  EVENT LISTINGS
REGISTER  :  LOGIN  :  OFF TOPIC  :  NEW USERS  :  FORUM INFO
Go to NSB Radio - Online Breakbeat Radio Station
Go to NSB Radio - Online Breakbeat Radio Station
Launch Radio in WinAMP Launch Radio in Windows Media Player Launch Radio in RealPlayer Launch Radio in iTunes Launch Web Player
Launch Radio in WinAMP Launch Radio in Windows Media Player Launch Radio in RealPlayer Launch Radio in iTunes Launch Web Player
ON NOW :: NSB RADIO - BREAKS & BEATS RADIO - THE...

SHOW TIMETABLE
: CHAT ROOM : DOWNLOAD MP3 ARCHIVES
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:44 pm 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

dusk wrote:
How can someone who joined 2 years later than me, welcome me?

welcome to the forum dust
:violin:
u r 6 years late. breaks is dead

Post subject: Current beatport top 10
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:48 pm 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

nic_ wrote:

8. Agresivnes - Olive Tree
artist name is spelt wrong this always pissed me off so im not listening to it.
fuckign awful tripe. avoid

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 am 
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

nic_ wrote:
bit late in with my thoughts - just couldnt gte through the top 10 last night
anyone that uses beatport as measuring stick of wots good bro is def totes bait seen merkle man :|

anyway some unabriged hate and bile:

1. Dylan Rhymes - Silent Duck

omg its all glitch edits then it reverse drops into some awful distorted stabbing noises and a sample saying 'funky duck'
2/10
electrpo house with a touch of brostep and some breaks loops chcuked on top

2. Elite Force - Society Suicides

same sickening high pitch grinding noises and lfo rate rapedowns b2b teh classic rev snar and then .... wait.... some gehy sci fi sample crafted from dvd rip for the bros - BANG THE DROP IS MASSIFlylghey.
electrpo house with a touch of brostep and some breaks loops chcuked on top

1/10

3. Refracture - Jahova Revamp
again the same filthy lead that eclipses and drums and some awful vocal effectorz. is it a mix between 'jah' and 'jehovas witness'?
only someone well into religion could write something so uninspired. also features a 6 minute menatl breakdown
2/10
tearout electrohouse

4. Blazer - Skill Chypher
Has sum 'bangen albeit static' drums so gets some points but then the screaming comes in leading too an oddly placed halftime 'dub' styled breakdown - then back into the start. not as awful as it should of been judging by the name.
3/10

5. Keith Mckenzie & Dj Fixx - Get Ill
fuckign horrendous vocals and default drums
'so fresh so crisp' 'get crunk lets get ill' 'bbbbb aaa ccc kkk again' white noise rise - leeetttsss get ill
:sick:

0/10

6. Colombo - Clubbing
well well well this is a very stramge little one LOL. tearout for the midlands clubbing set back from a shit bar in spain reliving the fuckign awful sunburnt holiday binge they just had.

best bit is before the 'drop' it has a sample that goes ' Lovely sentrum?' :lol:
0/10

7. Under This - Funkualize
gash :lol:
'its your - lets go retro' then the flamenco :lol:
6 minute buildup its bascially trance with no love and a bright stabbing noise that links to the obvious disco lineage employed by these talented and being shit producers. utilises the 'disko rekkah' sample to grate effect. beatport says e minor which should mean eurphorci melancholic - it doesnt lol

9. Colombo - Clap your hands
clau ur hands just clap ur hands clau ur hands just clap ur hands
GHEY
has no one realised that the time has passed for pitched down rnb vox has well passed. this guy is still chopping up sample pack funk samples lol. fuckign shit tune. has a wooh and a breatbeat. so wot.

10. DJ Icey - Knocks
feel sick and i know its going to be the same shit so i put enya on instead

I like how you started off giving marks out of 10 and by the end were obviously so intensely bothered about spelling everything wrong that you didn't. :tongue:

nic_ wrote:
ahve ah mentioned i lurve psytracne?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am 
Poster-lite
Poster-lite

nic_ wrote:

10. DJ Icey - Knocks
feel sick and i know its going to be the same shit so i put enya on instead

hard to disagree with any of what you wrote tbh

fucking hell this genre is in trouble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

:lol:

:violin:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:09 am 
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

maybe people who like brakes r to skint buy tunes of super expensiveport

nic_ wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:34 pm 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

"tearout electrohouse" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:38 pm 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wtf was that written in??? Couldn't make out >50% of that crap :?

Jeremy Kyle reveals that clod has in fact been banging not only a dude, but a his own estranged half chinese son from a former interracial marriage that ended so badly it left him bitter and incredibly racist.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:54 pm 
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

ag4111 wrote:
Wtf was that written in??? Couldn't make out >50% of that crap :?

nic_ wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:27 am 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

edb wrote:
oh dear. yes it's all very 2006, albeit with Flux Pavillion wobbles to add to the Electro House bleeps over a stodgy 130ish beat, and the poster who suggested that the top 3 are all very different clearly defines the word 'different' in a way I don't remotely recognise.

Hey ho. As noted though, there are plenty of people out there that making stuff that is breaksy and funky but that (for whatever reason) doesn't come under the 'breaks' umbrella.

eg

Insults aside and trying to inject a note of positivity here - this is a nice track. Go on Beatport and it's filed under 'Electronica' as is often the way with artists and labels who shy away from the breaks label because they believe it un-cools them. Perhaps if they stood their ground with the genre tagging & called it what it is, there'd be more diversity on display under the breaks banner & then we wouldn't get these kinds of lazy 'debates'?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:02 pm 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

i'm not sure the onus of defining genre-tags should really be on the artists though.

and especially this business of 'standing your ground' or whatever - most of these kids are about 22 years old. They didn't experience breaks the first time round, they weren't listening to Coastal Breaks or the Stanton Sessions or You Can Be Special Too, and upon being told that they make 'breaks' they're liable to go on beatport, listen to a bunch of electro stompers and wonder why on earth anyone sees any similarity.

They certainly don't owe the scene anything - having cleared enough floors at breaks clubs with tunes like the one above I've seen how it was the scene that rejected this type of music, rather than the producers eschewing the tag 'breakbeat'. If we want these people to consider themselves breaks producers, we need to start booking and playing them at breaks nights and making them welcome. It's not up to beatport to define the breaks scene, surely?

http://www.myspace.com/djid
http://www.bassmusicblog.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:45 pm 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

edb wrote:
i'm not sure the onus of defining genre-tags should really be on the artists though.

and especially this business of 'standing your ground' or whatever - most of these kids are about 22 years old. They didn't experience breaks the first time round, they weren't listening to Coastal Breaks or the Stanton Sessions or You Can Be Special Too, and upon being told that they make 'breaks' they're liable to go on beatport, listen to a bunch of electro stompers and wonder why on earth anyone sees any similarity.

They certainly don't owe the scene anything - having cleared enough floors at breaks clubs with tunes like the one above I've seen how it was the scene that rejected this type of music, rather than the producers eschewing the tag 'breakbeat'. If we want these people to consider themselves breaks producers, we need to start booking and playing them at breaks nights and making them welcome. It's not up to beatport to define the breaks scene, surely?

I'm not sure how welcome they'll be if they clear floors mate ;) I would certainly love to hear a lot more music like this at nights that I play at - I think there's loads of scope for it, especially early doors & late night sets. What's needed to make that happen though are more promoters and DJs with a little more imagination coming together to put on nights that embrace some of this broad range & celebrate it rather than criticise aspects of it we don't like.

By the way, there is nothing more or less valid about electro / dubstep infused breaks tham there is deeper dubby-influenced stuff with academic rhythms. Just because I choose a certain sound palette for a track it doesn't somehow invalidate it as a piece of music - it's still an original piece of music, in the same way that that Tessela track takes it's soundset from a very tried & tested techno template.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:02 pm 
Regular Reader
Regular Reader

shaman wrote:
sorry, but i'm not going to be judging an entire genre based on a beatport chart.

imho is a pretty cool top10.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:41 pm 
Addicted to NSB
Addicted to NSB

eliteforce wrote:

By the way, there is nothing more or less valid about electro / dubstep infused breaks tham there is deeper dubby-influenced stuff with academic rhythms. Just because I choose a certain sound palette for a track it doesn't somehow invalidate it as a piece of music - it's still an original piece of music, in the same way that that Tessela track takes it's soundset from a very tried & tested techno template.

hear hear!

nic_ wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 pm 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

eliteforce wrote:
edb wrote:

I'm not sure how welcome they'll be if they clear floors mate ;) I would certainly love to hear a lot more music like this at nights that I play at - I think there's loads of scope for it, especially early doors & late night sets. What's needed to make that happen though are more promoters and DJs with a little more imagination coming together to put on nights that embrace some of this broad range & celebrate it rather than criticise aspects of it we don't like.

well, i was playing them at breaks nights ;) but yeah i agree on pushing a varied selection thing. personally i can't promote for toffee but it does always strike me as odd that breaks has lately been pulling its main tunes from such a small pool (e.g. nu-funk and big room smashers) especially when, as noted, there is such a lot of good broken music out there. and even more especially, when the thing that made breaks so great in the first place was magpie-ing all the best bits from all that good broken music! 10 years ago you'd hear breaks DJ's playing garage, proggy stuff, jazzy broken beat, breakstep, one after the other yadda yadda yadda. but you know that of course.

Quote:

yeah totally, i wasn't saying "OMG Elite force is still partying like it's 2006". My dismay was more that - barring the odd dubstep wobble - the landscape of breaks really doesn't seem to have changed that much in the interim. Whole genres have been and gone in that time, but breaks seems to have snagged along the way (except for possible 'future jungle' tangent?)

i suppose it doesn't help that the scene has just got unarguably smaller over the last few years, leading to less people having a chance to really step in and stamp their mark on things... it's perhaps more likely to consolidate the existing sounds?

http://www.myspace.com/djid
http://www.bassmusicblog.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next